- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
What happened that wer didn't see on camera on "The Job?" What really happened to Karen, and what did Pam and Jim do after he came back?

"So....long haul? Where do you see yourself in ten years?"

He hadn't had much time to think about these words the CFO spoke. Where did he see himself in the future? Living in New York City with Karen, engaged, children? Living in Scranton with his same boring regional papersalesman job? He was uncertian that either of these was what he wanted. His interview with David was comming to an end and he knew that he needed to make his decision soon. He knew he was going to be offered this job. Though Karen was a good saleswoman, he knew he had this in the bag. But what he didn't know if he wanted it.

"So, if you decide to take the job, Jim, we will be offering you a two years of fully paid apartment rent, utilities included, to help you....'ya know, to get settled in..."

Jim shook his head out of his trans to answer David.

"Oh, uhm yea...sorry. I just, uhm. God, this is so complicated. Here's the thing, David. I don't think I can take this job...it's just not going to work."

David's eyes widened and shook his head with confusion.

"Wait, am I missing something? You came for the interview, but now you don't want the job? Is there something you are looking for? A higher pay? Something?"

"Oh, no...no. Everything's fine, it's just....I can't leave what I have in Scranton. I know this is totally unprofessional but I feel we have a good friendship I can tell you. I uhm, have been seeing Karen, as you know already, for six moths or so. It's been hell, David. Living hell."

He shook his head, intensly listening to Jim speak.

"She's an amazing woman but...it's just not going to work. She once told me that we had no future in Scranton. She was right. We don't. But I do. I think it would be appropriate for you to offer her the job, because the girl I really care about is waiting for me back in Scranton. I'm not sure if you know her....Pam. Pam Beesley, the...uhm receptionist."

"Hmm. Touching. Well, I'll see what I can do. Yes, I will offer her the job, just...think this over before you make your final decision."

"Oh, I've been thinking about this long before I got here. I know what I'm doing, David."

"Well then," he stood up from behind his desk and shook Jim's hand tightly, "best of luck to you back in Scranton."

"Thanks, man. Appreciate it."

------------------

LATER THAT NIGHT. KAREN AND JIM'S HOTEL ROOM.

Jim's cab pulled up to the front of their hotel. He tipped the driver graciously and walked full speed to the elevator. He didn't want to wait any longer to tell her. It was over.

"Baby, you're early!" She stood on her toes to reach his mouth and kissed him effectionatly. He pulled away.

"Something the matter, Jim?"

He took a few steps back from her and leaned against the desk in the hotel room.

"Karen....I can't do this. This...isn't me. You have changed me into this completely different person and I hate it! First it was my jokes you made me stop, then my clothes, then my hair...and now you want me to live in New York with you? This is insanity!"

"What the hell are you talking about, Jim? If you didn't want these changes they wouldn't have happened."

"Yeah, if I did what I wanted to do for a long time I wouldn't be standing here having this conversation with you!"

She looked puzzled and angry. "Excuse me?"

He looked at his feet and shoved his hands in his pockets. In his left pocket he left Pam's yogurt lid medal and he squeezed it tightly.

"It's over, Karen. I want to go back to Scranton. You can have the corporate job, I know you want it. This is...just not where I want to be at this point in my life..."

She groaned at his remark and stomped her foot like an impaitent child.

"It's HER! It's her, isn't it! Damn it, Jim! If...ugh, God. If you wanted to be with her, why did you keep me here. What value was I to you."

"Do you want me to be completely honest?"

"Hell. Yes, I do. Tell me Halpert, why for the last six months you've been nothing but a hypocrite."

"I...I didn't want to come back to Scranton and...face her alone. I wanted some sort of distraction...an-"

"Bastard! Get out of here, now! I don't want to talk to you, or see your freaking face again! Go back to your stupid mousey receptionist, damn it!"

He grabbed his bag of the bed and she slammed the door behind him. She leaned into the back of the door, slumped down, and cried. Hard.

----------

BACK AT THE SCRANTON OFFICE, FOUR HOURS LATER.

Pam sat in the conference room as she was being questioned by the camera crew.

"I haven’t heard anything. But I bet Jim got the job. I mean, why wouldn’t he? He’s totally qualified, and smart, everyone loves him. And if he never comes back again, that’s okay. We’re friends. And I’m sure we’ll stay friends. We just … we never got the timing right. You know? I shot him down, and then he did the same to me, but you know what? It’s okay. I am totally fine. Everything is going to be totally..."

Jim burst though the door.

"Pam. Um, are you free for dinner tonight?"

Her face was lit up, full of excitement and confusion and god knows what else.

"Yes."

"All right. Then it’s a date."

Pam motioned for the cameraman to shut the camera off.

"Hey, can you turn that thing off please. I'll be right back."

Her smiled has yet to dissolve from her face. She grabbed the door handle and walked out to the lobby of the office and there he stood, jacket and brown bag slung over his shoulder, and hair tousled.

"Oh my god, I didn't think you were going to come back!"

She ran up to him, leaped onto her toes, and pulled his shirt in to kiss him. And that is exactly what she did. Her hands ran through his hair, almost exactly the way it was in that night last May. Except there was one difference - this time the kiss would bring new beginings, not shattered endings.

He lingered in her kiss as long as he could before he backed away to take a breath.

"What about the job?"

He smiled at her and pulled the medal from his pocket. He placed it over her head and the medal laid high on her chest.

"To hell with the job. I need you, Pam. I seriously don't think I could live without you. Wow, that was totally cliche."

"I know, I don't care. I need you too, Jim. So much."

She looked into his dark green eyes and he couldn't look away.

"What about Karen?"

He brushed her hair out of her eyes and smiled.

"Karen who?"

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked this story!! I really value reviews, so please please review & rate!!!!!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans