- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A/N:  Title is taken from Switchfoot song, which really has nothing to do with anything. Sorry it took so long for this chapter, as I had the worst case of writer’s block and then this thing called real life started rearing its ugly head. And then I actually wanted it to be good, so that added some time.

A thousand, million thanks to WildBerryJam, because without her, well, trust me, this would have been worse. A lot worse.

            Jim and Karen stood still, both staring at each other, as if daring the other to move.

            “Karen… that wasn’t… well, maybe it was…” Jim started.

            “You weren’t answering your phone.” Karen stated, trying to ignore the obvious. “I was worried, so I figured I would just slip in, make sure you were alright.”

            “Oh. Thanks. Yeah, I’m okay.”

            “You weren’t ever sick, were you?”

            It seemed strange to Jim how quiet this conversation was. He had just gone from a screaming match with Pam to nearly whispering with Karen. “No,” he replied. Karen had heard the conversation; it wasn’t worth the lie.

            “Now what?” Karen was staring at Jim, but he wasn’t able to look her in the eye. He kept staring at the ground, as if hoping that would give him the answers.

            “I don’t know.”

            “Do you love me?” Jim didn’t answer. Hoping that meant he did, she continued. “And… do you still love her?” This time, Jim nodded his head, and then fell again to his couch. “Yes. I mean, no. I don’t know. It’s complicated, okay.”

            Karen came inside, and stood near the couch, unsure if she should sit.

            “She kissed me.”

            Karen took this as an invitation to sit. “I heard.”

            “Just… God! It’s so confusing!” Jim exclaimed, and hung his head. “I swear I didn’t plan on this.”

            “Honestly, Jim. How did you plan on this happening? What is happening?”

            “I don’t know. I mean, I was happy with you. The Poconos… that would have been great.”

            “Except you decided to fake being sick instead of going to the Poconos.”

            “Karen, Pam kissed me. She kissed me.” Karen glared at Jim, that fact was already established and she didn’t appreciate hearing it again. “I mean, I just needed time to think.”

            “No, you didn’t,” Karen said, as if this was obvious.

            “What?”

            “You didn’t want time to think. You wanted to talk to her. You wanted to see if there was a chance. You could have come to the Poconos. Forgotten about her kissing you. The Poconos would have been a perfect time to get over her, once and for all. Remember why we are great together. You didn’t fake sickness to think, you were faking so you could talk to her.”

            “So, are you saying I shouldn’t give her a chance? Karen, I was in love with her for years. I can’t just forget that.”

            “I don’t expect you to just forget that. Just like I didn’t expect you forget the six months of our relationship. Which was an actual relationship, not just a crush. I understand you may always have feelings for her,” Karen grimaced while saying that. “But, I don’t understand why this kiss can just erase our time together.” Jim scoffed. “What?”

            “Just Pam.” Karen sighed; she didn’t think she wanted to hear this. “When I… before I went to Stamford… she said… I expected…”

            “Jim.”

            “Just… it sounds like what Pam said.” Karen was sure she didn’t want to hear this. “She accused me of wanting to erase ten years with just one kiss.”

            “Hate to break it to you Jim, but you aren’t that good of a kisser.” Karen gave a slight smile.

            Jim smiled back, but only briefly as he continued. “The point is Karen, I just can’t forget about her.”

            “I know,” Karen sighed in realization.

            “I just think I have to give it a chance.” Karen quietly stood up and started walking to the door. “Karen?” She stopped, but didn’t turn around. “I’m sorry. You have no idea how sorry I am.” A tear rolled down her cheek, but she just continued walking out.

Jim watched the door close behind her.
Chapter End Notes:

Hopefully this made sense. This chapter hated me. So now I kind of hate this chapter.

Thanks for reading and sticking with this story.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans