- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I was just rewatching The Dundies today, and like every time I watch it, I try and imagine that car ride home with Angela.  I imagine Angela deep down likes being DD because it gives her a captive audience for all the judgmental speeches she can give.  

 So, what better time to do a post-ep for the second season premiere than the day of the fourth season premiere?  I'm as topical as Michael!

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Pam slumped into Angela’s car, feeling good.  She looked straight ahead, smiling quietly to herself, her argument with Roy earlier long since forgotten.  She was glad she stayed, getting to spend an evening having fun with Jim.  She couldn’t remember the last time she had felt so loose. 
 
“Buckle your seatbelt, please,” Angela said tersely, breaking Pam out of her revelry.
 
Pam sat up on her chair stiffly, trying hard to look sober.  She had a feeling she wasn’t pulling it off. 
 
“I know you think you are having fun tonight, but it was entirely inappropriate for a woman of your age,” Angela lectured.
 
Pam felt like a rebellious teen being driven home by her mother.  She felt like making the point that at least she was smart enough not to be driving, but it wasn’t like this was entirely her choice.  Roy had taken the decision away from her.
 
Instead, Pam opted for the answer a teenager would give.  “At what age <i>would</i> it be appropriate?”
 
“It is never appropriate, but at least more understandable for a woman in a different stage of her life.  In college I worked for a campus service that gave drunk students rides home.  I scared countless people straight, and several thanked me later for changing their lives,” Angela informed her.
 
“How did they phrase that, exactly?”  Pam asked, feeling a bit brazen from the alcohol running through her blood.
 
Angela somehow managed to look even more stern.  Pam felt like telling Angela to be careful lest her face freeze that way, but Pam’s inner voice sarcastically answered that it wouldn’t be much of a change. 
 
Pam started to wildly giggle at the cleverness of her subconscious. 
 
“You think this is funny?  Just be glad your fiancé wasn’t here to see this display,” Angela told her, shooting her a severe glare.
 
Thoughts of Roy came crashing in on her, sobering her up some.  “Well, he’s probably passed out drunk on the couch after Poor Richard’s,” Pam said, crossing her arms across her chest.
 
“It is the woman’s responsibility to keep their men away from vice.  Men are very weak in that regard, amongst others.  Women should be stronger,” Angela told her. 
 
Pam sighed, knowing she was fighting a losing battle.  She wasn’t sure why she was subjecting herself to this, but Angela was the one who always volunteered to be the designated driver.  She had a feeling Angela got off on getting to use her best cold, disapproving glares.
 
“I should have just asked Jim to give me a ride,” Pam said, smiling wistfully as she remembered how she had his rapt attention all evening, wearing a look of amused adoration. 
 
She was funny and amusing with Jim, and she liked that.  She wished she were that way all the time.
 
“Even drunk, you’re not that big of a hussy,” Angela said.  “It was already whorish the way you were all over him tonight.”
 
“We’re friends, that’s it,” Pam said defensively.  She felt a wave of sadness wash over that she couldn’t explain, which came every time she spoke about her friendship with Jim.  Somehow the word just didn’t encompass how it made her feel, but there was no adequate phrase.  He was her oasis, but Angela had sobered her up enough to know better than to say it out loud at this moment.
 
“You kissed him.  Do you kiss all your friends that way?  Do you see me kissing Dwight in front of the whole office?”
 
“You’re friends with Dwight?”  Pam asked, her eyes getting big.  She had never seen Angela interact with Dwight.  Interesting.
 
“I don’t make a show of my <i>’friendships’</i> the way some people do,” Angela told her.
 
Pam nodded solemnly, deciding it was better just to play along.  They were almost to her house anyhow.
 
Pam and Angela sat in silence for a few moments, with Pam only breaking the silence with directions.  Angela turned into her driveway and stopped the car.  As Pam was getting out, Angela spoke again.
 
“You do understand it is my Christian duty to make sure you are on the right path,” Angela told her, looking marginally softer.
 
“Well, maybe you should read up on how best to deliver your message,” Pam said.
 
“Just because you don’t like the messenger doesn’t mean the message should be taken lightly,” Angela said, looking stiffer again.
 
“Thanks for the ride Angela, “ Pam said, getting out of the car.
 
As Pam put her key into the lock, she took a deep breath, bracing herself for her return to regular life.  It had been nice to take a vacation from herself, but maybe in the future she shouldn’t be quite to public about it. 
 
She looked back and saw Angela’s car pull out, having waited for her to open her door.  Pam gave a small wave, letting Angela know she appreciated her watching out for her. 






Becca Lavender is the author of 3 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans