- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Pam finds Jim's high school Career Survey and discovers some very strange things.

“What’s this?” Pam asked, pointing to a piece of paper from the bottom of one of Jim’s drawers.

Jim squinted his eyes and read the top. “Oh, you don’t want to read that,” Jim said hastily, trying to grab it before she did, but Pam was quicker. She snatched the piece of paper before he could get to it.

“Score! Career survey!” She was grinning ear to ear. “God, when is this even from?”

“Er-- Ninth grade, I think. But honestly, let’s just put that in the trash.”

“Not yet!” Pam sang, she couldn’t keep the giddy smile off of her face. Jim stopped trying to take it back from her and laughed at her grin.

“Career choice number one: Dictionary Editor.” Pam’s eyes lit up. “Dictionary editor?”

Jim groaned. “I would die before becoming a dictionary editor. So boring.”

“How do they even do their work? If the word’s not in the dictionary, where do they find it?” Pam asked.

“No idea, since selling paper and editing dictionaries are sort of different, Pam. That is, if you haven’t noticed,” he teased.

She stuck out her tongue and sat down stubbornly in his chair. She wasn’t going anywhere until she finished this list. Jim caved and sat down next to her.

She continued on. “Choice number two: Funeral Director.”

“For all of the dictionary editors who died of boredom.”

Pam laughed. “Of course.”

“Next: Coroner.” Pam wrinkled her nose. “What’s with you and death on this test?” She looked over to him. “What kind of answers did you have that would lead them to conclude you should work with dead bodies?”

“All of the questions were things like, ‘Do you enjoy learning surgical procedures?’ or ‘Do you know how to make a picture frame?’ There was even ‘Do you enjoy packing boxes?’”

Pam made a face. “You’re lying. There’s no way they could make a correlation between picture frames and bodies.”

“Au contraire, my friend. Au contraire.”

“Whatever,” she said, lightly swatting at him. She studied the list. “Surfboard designer?” She raised her eyes brows skeptically.

“It was a small phase. A really small phase.”

She shook her head, smiling.

“Let’s see, oh, this is the last one.” She paused while she read it then let out a short laugh which turned into a snort before she could help herself. NUN was typed in big block letters right next to the heading, Number one career choice.

“No offense, but I don’t really think habits are your thing.”

“Me either, because then I wouldn’t get to do this.” He leaned in and gave Pam a deep kiss that would certainly make a nun blush.

Chapter End Notes:

Just a real short story. Some of the career choices were actually mine when I took that test a while ago, like surfboard designer and coroner. Strangely enough, I didn’t end up in either of those fields. Who would have thought? ; )



Big Tuna is the author of 19 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans