- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Okay, so even though I said these are five stand-alone stories, this one's technically related to the previous vignette, only it's with their first child.

"Can you possibly be ready for this?" asks Pam, turning to look at Jim beside her. Jim laughs and shifts his bundle from one arm to the other. Patrick looks out from under the brim of his hat, and Jim swears he looks nervous. "Pam, you're scaring the baby," he says, and it's almost as if Patrick can tell something weird is going to happen.

"A-dah," says Patrick, and Pam leans over to smooch his fat cheek. "Yes, Dada's being silly," she says, and Jim shakes his head as Pam rings the doorbell. "I can't believe we got roped into this," Jim says, and Pam shoots him an apologetic look. 

The door opens and Michael is standing there, tear tracks glistening on his cheeks. "Oh my God, what's wrong?" asks Pam, and Jim's heart thuds.

"Nothing! Everything is so right!" Michael says. "The world is so beautiful through the eyes of a child!" He happily rubs his tears away and snots into his sleeve a little, which is really gross.

"Come in, come in," he says, indicating the foyer. "Look at the little big man!" he says, waving at Patrick, who stares at him. Michael points to the small guest bath. 'We're having visitors scrub up before they come in," he says, and Jim and Pam nod, taking turns holding the baby while they wash their hands.

"Hi Jan," both Pam and Jim say in unison as they enter the living room. Jan is there, tucked up on the sofa with a little bundle in her arms. Pam's true delight is evident in her voice as she moves over to them and exclaims, "She's adorable! What did you decide to name her?"

Michael stands proudly next to Jan. "Michelle," he says, and Jan shoots him a look. "Michaela," he says, and Jan sighs loudly. "Her name is Peyton Quinn," she says, smiling down at the baby.

"Jan felt that an ambidextrous name was best," says Michael helpfully, and Jim and Pam nod. Jim has to admit, the baby is really cute, and he leans Patrick down for a look. "Bee-bee," he says, reaching out to touch her, and Jan moves her away quickly.

"Whoops, no touching without hand sanitizer," she trills, and Michael pulls a bottle of Purell from his pocket and offers it around. Jim takes some, but he's not putting it on his son. He appreciates Pam's laid-back style of motherhood even more on occasions like this.

"Was the delivery hard?" asks Pam, mostly to Jan, but Michael answers first. "Oh, it was so painful, I thought it would never end!"

Jan ignores Michael and speaks to Pam, who sits in an offered chair. "I had the epidural, so it wasn't as bad as it could be. And I was only in labor for eight hours. Michael's mother said she was in labor with him for fifty-six hours."

Pam's eyes widen and she crosses her legs, which makes Jim want to go over and kiss her just so she won't look so shocked. Jan smiles up at Michael, who shrugs modestly. "I guess I liked my waterbed in there!" Jim doesn't know what to say to that.

"Just look at what Dwight gave us at the birth," Michael says, holding up a tiny t-shirt that says "Happy Accident" and Jim laughs. He would expect nothing less of Dwight, who was the most literal person he's ever known, perhaps with the exception of Michael.

"Wow. So she was born on Sunday the 3rd?" asks Pam, and Jan nods, smiling. "That's Patrick's birthday," says Jim, bouncing his boy a little.

"They can be birthday buddies!" says Michael happily, and then gasps. "Jim, what if they fall in love? We could be brothers!"

"I don't think that's how it works, but wow," says Jim.  

"Young man, stay away from my daughter for the next twenty years," says Michael, waggling his finger at Patrick. "No hanky-panky! Though I bet he's a big fan of boobs, am I right?"

Jim shakes his head, saying "Inappropriate!" into Pat's little ear, and he catches Pam's eye. Jan looks sleepy and Pam nods slightly. They stand in unison and Pam says, "We're going to get going, but thanks so much for having us over."

Michael stands up, too, and they watch he tenderly takes the baby from the now dozing Jan, planting a kiss on Jan's forehead in the process. It's such a grown-up gesture from him that it makes Jim's heart swell just a little bit.

Michael walks them to the door and they pause for a moment to look down at the tiny bundle in his arms. "I have a daughter, can you believe it?" he says quietly, and Jim is truly happy for him. "She's perfect," says Pam as they step out onto the front steps.

They say goodbye and head down the driveway, Jim hugging his own baby a little tighter than normal. Michael waves to them from the doorway and calls, "See you next time at your house!" before he closes the door.  

Pam is buckling Patrick in and Jim leans into the car. "Pam, what does he mean by 'see you next time at your house'?"

Pam doesn't look at him until she's slid into the seat next to him, and then she gives him a sheepish grin. "I agreed to host the Dunder-Mifflin Monthly Playgroup next month. Dwight and Angela will bring Chrissy and Michael and Jan'll bring Peyton."

"Okay. You owe me big for that one," Jim says as they drive off, but he smiles in spite of himself and takes her hand, and they both know he's not upset at all.

Chapter End Notes:
Thus the story ends. I had loads of fun writing it. Thanks so much for reading and reviewing, it's always much appreciated!


McGigi is the author of 22 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Five at One also liked 1702 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans