- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I own the right to feel like someone is punching me in the grief bone for every week that goes by without a new episode of the office. That is ALL I own -- unfortunately.

If you were falling

Then I would catch you

You need a light

I'd find a match

Cuz I...

Love the way you say good morning

And you...

Take me the way I am...

 

 

It was perfect. All of it.

 

Pam knew thinking that thought made her the biggest idealistic, sap in the world and it made things almost...dangerous. It made it so he could never possibly measure up, but it was too late - she already thought it. And he was already living up to it everyday.

 

She couldn't think of one thing about him that she didn't love. Ok...well maybe there were a couple of habits here and there...

 

Never letting anything slide - if it could be mocked it would be, making light of situations that didn't really call for lightness, his inability to shed light on any character traits that could be construed as flaws, clamming up completely when he was even slightly embarrassed...

 

Ok, so he wasn't perfect, and neither was she...But God help her, they were perfect together.

Whether she chose from this moment forward to stay at only 30% more unpredictable or somehow advanced it to 45%...in Jim's eyes she was 100% ok. And for the first time in her life - she actually felt that way.

 

It was an overwhelming sense of feeling full all the time...And lots of different things about her life these days made her feel that way. Things like the night a couple of weeks prior...the night at Poor Richards (someplace that once upon a time she'd thought she'd never step foot in again) when everything felt just...warm. Her co-workers laughing together over seeing themselves up on TV, Michael getting his big break, Jim's hand on her back as he watched her animation come to life on the screen...and then his arm around her when the bartender hit on her...

 

Pam kissed his shoulder now as they lay in bed and he drew her closer even in his sleep.

 

Roy would have completely snapped at that guy at Poor Richards. He wouldn't have just casually put an arm around her shoulders and made an affable sounding ‘awww' sound. No, he would have made a complete ass out of both of them and she would have been embarrassed in front of everyone.

 

With Jim, she hadn't been embarrassed at all. She'd just been proud.

 

Things like bringing her breakfast that morning...It hadn't been the first time he'd done something like that. A few weeks prior she'd had an assignment that she'd had to get ‘just right'. So on one of the first truly chilly nights of the season, they'd both been sitting in the living room, freezing as Wednesday turned into Thursday...

 

She'd glanced tiredly over her shoulder at his long, lean form on the couch. "You can really go to bed...seriously."

 

"You're kidding me right?...I'm too invested now Beesly...I gotta see how this thing turns out."

 

Eventually as 2 a.m. had rolled around, Jim hadn't been unable to keep his eyes open anymore and he'd gone to bed. Or so she'd thought...

 

Instead he'd gone into her kitchen, made her a steaming mug of hot chocolate and brought it back to her. Then he'd fallen asleep...on the couch.

 

Pam slipped her leg in between his...

 

Now she just needed to figure out how to do the same for him...how to help Jim be exactly whoever it was he wanted to be. She never wanted him to feel disappointed for not taking that job at corporate. She never wanted him to feel anything less than everything he was helping her to feel.

 

Which cliché as it sounded - was complete.

 

If deep down he wanted to be Philly Jim, than together they would make that happen...God, she felt like the biggest Pollyanna...If he even had the smallest inkling she was thinking these things he'd totally mock her.

 

Grinning in the darkness and giddy with what was happening and all that could happen, she whispered in his ear. "Thank you."

 

He mumbled, "what" into the crook of her neck and snuggled in deeper, his breath warm against her skin.

 

"Nothing...go back to sleep....or maybe...Jim would you like me to serenade you with a guitar solo? Would that help you to sleep better?"

 

He grinned against her collar bone. "Shut up..."

 

It was perfect. All of it.

 

If you are chilly

Here take my sweater

Your head is aching

I'll make it better

Cuz I

Love the way you call me baby

And you...

Take me the way I am...

I'd you buy you Rogaine

When you start losing all your hair

Sew on patches

To all you tear

Cuz I

Love you more than I could ever promise

And you...

Take me the way I am...

You...take me the way I am...

You...take me the way I am...

 

http://www.ingridmichaelson.com



LoveFool is the author of 48 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked The Way I Am also liked 2278 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans