- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Story based and inspired by Ingrid Michaelson's song "Keep Breathing". You may recognize it from Grey's Anatomy's season 3 finale. Very beautiful song. Please download it and give her a try.

Special thanks to WildBerryJam for the great encouragement and beta work! SuperBeta returns!

Also, I'm not trying to rip off the Office (like the AMPTP is doing) or Ingrid Michaelson in any way. I just like playing with their art.

Author's Chapter Notes:
Just a little fluffity fluff.

 

The storm is coming but I don't mind.
People are dying, I close my blinds.

All that I know is I'm breathing now.

Rain is pounding on the window pane of their room. The sun set long ago and the moon is hidden by the enormous gray clouds plaguing the sky. The only light that fills the room is from the warm glow of lightning, darting back and forth from the floor of heaven and the cold earth’s surface.

Consequently, they have no care in the world. Their eyes are shut tight; shut off from the dreary weather. Despite the draft of night air that sweeps across the bed, they share more skin than covers. This night, like most, is about sharing each other, not the sea of sheets and linen.

I want to change the world...instead I sleep.
I want to believe in more than you and me.

But all that I know is I'm breathing.

Even though the world outside is cold, wet, and dark, their habitation is peaceful, calm, and very much alive. The sound of thunder jostles their slumber every so often, reminding them that there is something bigger out in the universe besides them. Once the thunder slows it’s chorus of rhythm, the only sound filling their ears is the melody of hearts beating. Then, their lungs longing for another gulp of refreshing oxygen.

All I can do is keep breathing.
All we can do is keep breathing now.

All that I know is I'm breathing.

Contentment is broken as the loud crack of electrical lines fills the room and she is woken with a start. Her heart is in her throat, her eyes wide open, his arm still around her even while he still slumbers. As she adjust to the lightless room, she can still feel him and see him with her fingers. Her hand rests gently on his moving chest and she can sense the comfort oozing from his resting body.

Her eyes flutter close as another crescendo of lightning and thunder rip through her ears. She presses herself closer to his side in hopes that he feels her need of him. With her face firmly planted on his arm and chest, she breathes in his soothing scent. He doesn’t move again, with the exception of his rib cage pulsing against her.

All I can do is keep breathing.
All we can do is keep breathing now.

The rain on the glass of the window, beats rapidly louder as she squeezes her eyes tighter. She prays silently that he will wake, to find her shaking and longing for his saving grace to reassure her that she’ll be fine. It’s just a little rain, he’d say. She’d believe him too. Even if the weather man was reporting tornadoes or flooding. She’d believe every word he said, as long as he was wrapping his arms around her.

His shoulders shift just as another earth shattering clash of rain and thunder and light hit the ground. And for a second, her heart leaps. She watches as his eyes quickly open and shut. Her eyes do the same as she feels his arm moving slightly to her side. She hears him sigh, then his hand rubs once or twice down her arm and he pulls her closer to him. Out of contentment and relief, she sighs too, knowing that he’s heard her silent pleas.

All we can do is keep breathing
All we can do is keep breathing
All we can do is keep breathing
All we can do is keep breathing.

The calm of the storm comes just as her eyes are wearily demanding rest. Her breathing is slowed, just as his is, and she takes in one last gulp of air before mentally telling herself to find sleep. Just as a flash of lightning shines through their window, she catches the sight of his face from the corner of her eye. His features are bold and glow in heaven’s light. She quickly closes her eyes to keep the image of him for sweeter dreams during the night.

Soon, she’s being lulled to sleep by his warmth, his arm tightly wrapped around her, and the sound of his strong, solid and soothing breath on the top of her head. If only another round of thunder would ring through the area or the loud crack of lightning, threatening to rip electric lines and poles apart, would prove itself to them again. If only it would, she could feel him pull her in just a little bit closer one more time. Just a little bit more, she thinks.

All we can do is keep breathing now.

 

Chapter End Notes:
This is a little different for me. I hope you all enjoyed it. Please fill out the review and let me know your comments, good or bad. I'm trying out new stuff and need all the feedback I can get. Thanks!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans