- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I wrote this as a fan script and it is formatted as such.  I really enjoyed writing it.  Many thanks to ElizabethLynn for her guidance!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

COLD OPEN

INT. DARRYL’S OFFICE - DAY

Darryl sits at his desk.

DARRYL: Every year on the day before Thanksgiving, the Dunder Mifflin Scranton warehouse workers compete with the other North East warehouses to see who can get their work done first.  The winning branch gets bragging rights, a gift certificate for a turkey and gets to leave work early, paid.

The competition is judged by each Regional Manager, except for Scranton.  Michael was disqualified from judging in 2003. 

INT. MICHAEL’S OFFICE - DAY

Michael sits at his desk.

MICHAEL: Thanksgiving 2003?  Ah, that was back when Jan was married to…
[frowns]
Gould.  She was my boss then… but now… you know, she doesn’t get paid to boss me now.
[gets a little misty-eyed, pauses]
Anyway I had an en-gen-uous plan to get everyone home early on Wednesday by getting everyone to work late on Tuesday.  It would’ve worked had Dwight not been such a snitch.

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM - DAY

Dwight sits in front of interior window.

DWIGHT: In 2003 I stayed until five despite the noon sales cut-off.  I don’t celebrate holidays, especially when I’m single.  I sent Jan an e-mail letting her know this since my immediate superior, Michael, had already left for the weekend.

DARRYL: [continuing]
…so the warehouse had to stay to ship Dwight’s orders.  We were here until 6 pm.  In 2004, Dwight took over judging. 

Scene of Dwight observing the warehouse from the top of the stairs, looking down at the warehouse with a clipboard, timer and whistle. 

At first we thought it would work in our favor, as he wouldn’t be upstairs selling. 
[shakes head]
He let the power go to his head and made us retag steel to alphabetical, chronological or autobiographical, whichever he was feeling the most that day. 

Scene of Dwight and Darryl arguing by the steel, Dwight with a clipboard showing Darryl how he wants the shelves stocked.

DWIGHT: [continuing]
[smiling to himself]
Yes, autobiographical.  I have a database of every product I’ve ever sold during my tenure here at Dunder Mifflin.  The first item I sold was a case of 24 lb Ultra Premium Ink Jet paper, so naturally, that should be on the first rack of steel…

DARRYL: [continuing]
Jim came back just before Thanksgiving last year so he got to judge, being the new #2. 

Scene of Jim observing the warehouse from the top of the stairs, immediately turning around when he sees Roy and runs into the cameraman. 

He didn’t spend much time with us at first, what with his new Italian friend upstairs.

Scene of Jim and Karen in the break room, Jim smiling nervously as he’s looking at his watch.

But when it came close to the noon sales cut-off, he was right there with us,

Scene of Jim taking a hand truck of boxes to a waiting semi.

and even recruited a few more from upstairs to help us out. 

Scene of Meredith sweeping the floor while awkwardly holding her large drink; Darryl trying to help Ryan tell the difference between two types of paper; Creed putting small boxes in his pockets; Michael with his head in the box crusher as Lonny walks by and shakes his head; Pam watches Karen as she is helping Madge.

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM - DAY

Jim sits in front of exterior window.

JIM: Wow… last Thanksgiving… feels like a hundred years ago… I got the office to help the warehouse, even asked IT to mess with Dwight’s computer so he couldn’t enter orders. 

Scene of Dwight at his desk, trying feverishly to get his computer to work; Jim can be seen in the kitchen on his cell phone, looking at the back of Dwight’s head, smiling.

Said that there was a tryptophan virus affecting all the computers.
[smiles]
That reminds me…
[gets up to leave conference room]

DARRYL: [continuing]
We won, and we were all home by 1:00.
[smiles widely]

Scene of everyone leaving Convenient Food Mart with very small turkeys, Jim and Karen get into her SUV as Pam looks on, Roy watching her.

This year is different since Ryan is the new Jan and Infinity came online.  No more going home early. 

Scene over Jim’s shoulder as he and Pam read Ryan’s e-mail, look at each other and shake their heads.

No more bragging rights. 

Scene of Jim in Michael’s office, talking about Ryan’s e-mail.

But Michael still cut off sales calls at noon and upstairs helped us fill online orders until closing time. 

Scene of various upstairs employees helping in the warehouse; Ryan tries to get Michael on the phone but Michael will not pick up as he is on his cell phone, flashing the corporate credit card at the camera and smiling; Jim shows the camera an icon of a napping turkey on Dwight’s monitor as Pam walks by, looks at the monitor and smiles; Kevin and Oscar fill an order; Meredith is again sweeping holding a large drink; Creed takes a hand truck of product outside but not to a semi; Dwight tries unsuccessfully to get his computer to work, he gives up and goes to the warehouse only to see Angela and Andy packing an order together; Michael drives out of the Convenient Food Mart in the PT Cruiser (it is now dark outside).

So I guess the Scranton branch will remain undisputed champions. 

Scene of Jim and Michael taking small turkeys out of the back of the PT Cruiser and handing them to everyone; Pam sneaks a turkey to Toby.

I can live with that.

-Opening Theme-


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans