- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

This is my first Jim and Pam fanfiction! I hope you enjoy!
Pam Halpert sat at her desk, bored as usual. You could only play solitaire so many times before that got boring too. She looked toward the desk of her husband, something she did frequently. It was like they could read each other’s minds; Jim made eye contact with her at the same time. He flashed one of his famous grins to Pam, and went back to working on whatever he was working on.

Pam found herself staring at the jar of jelly beans on her desk. She made sure that jar never went empty. In fact, she had three extra bags in the bottom drawer of her desk. She thought about her first day at Dunder Mifflin, and how she put out the coveted jelly bean jar. Pam absentmindedly grabbed a handful of jelly beans and spread them across her desk. The artist in her lashed out, and she noticed the bright and beautiful colors of the beans.

At that moment, Pam couldn’t help but realize those colors had an impact on her life.

She pulled the black jelly bean out of the group. To her, black signified Roy and the time she was with him. She shuddered at the thought, thinking about how drastically different her life would be if she was married to Roy right now instead of Jim. Sure, she had loved Roy at one point, but she wasted ten whole years of her life with him. Roy never made her feel as alive as Jim did, as colorful and free. But that time was over. Pam threw away the black jelly bean. Nobody liked them anyway.

Next Pam focused on the white jelly bean. Typically, white means peace or purity. But to Pam, white meant her co-workers at Dunder Mifflin. Now these people were the farthest thing from completely peaceful and pure. But they represented white. See, Pam had learned during one of her art classes that the color white was formed when all colors of the color spectrum come together, thus forming white. She liked to think of everyone at the office as being their own color. From Kelly and her celebrity gossip to Oscar and his homosexuality to Dwight and his obsession with beets, all the members of Dunder Mifflin Scranton came together as one. Heck, they even sold paper which was white.

Orange followed white. Pam thought about it, and concluded that orange also represented Dunder Mifflin. But not just the people. Orange was her job at Dunder Mifflin, the paper company. The office was unique, just like the color. Pam laughed inside when recalled that nothing rhymes with orange. Similarly, nothing could compare to Dunder Mifflin and all the years she had spent there. Where else could you find an office with a boss who burns his foot on a George Foreman grill? What other business has a Beach Day once a year? Dunder Mifflin is bold, Dunder Mifflin is orange.

Yellow. Pam liked Yellow. Yellow was her art, her imagination, her creativity. Pam had always loved drawing ad sketching, ever since she was a little girl. Once she was deciding what to do with her life, Roy didn’t support the idea of being an artist. Where was that going to get her? That’s why she was still a receptionist at a midrange paper supply company. But Jim, well he offered more support than Roy ever did. He encouraged his wife to sign up for art classes and pursue her dream. Art made Pam happy. And so did the color yellow.

The purple jelly bean was the next to be singled out. For Pam, purple represented faith and hope. She had never been very religious, but ever since she started dating Jim, she had been thanking God for sending him into her life and for making her happy. Pam had faith that Jim was going to love her forever, and she knew she would do the same. She had hope that they were going to have the perfect life, and make all of their dreams come true. Purple was deep and beautiful.

Pam fingered the pink jelly bean, and then placed a hand on her swollen stomach. Pink was her and Jim’s unborn daughter. Pam remembered taking the pregnancy test in their bathroom at home. Jim was with her, telling her that if it didn’t happen this time, they would try again. The timer went off, and Pam reached for the stick, both excited and nervous. The couple saw a plus sign. It was pink. Both of them wanted to know the sex of the baby before the birth. Pam wanted to decorate the baby’s nursery based on this knowledge. When they found out it was a girl, the first thing Pam did was buy a small dress and a bucket of pink paint. Jim painted the room beautifully, and they made it a room fit for a princess. Their princess. And when she makes her entrance into the world in a few months, Pam knew she would come out screaming, crying, and pink.

Nearing the end of the jelly bean colors, Pam picked out red. Red was her favorite jelly bean. Red was Jim, her Jim. And red was also love. She loved her husband so much that her heart burst with love every time she thought about him. How many women were lucky enough to spend all day with their husband? During the morning, the workday, and the evening, there was Jim. And Pam never got tired of him. Jim was the perfect husband. He was so supportive of Pam’s dream to be an artist. He worked hard to provide for their soon to be family. He made her feel better when she was sad. And most of all, he loved her more than life itself. And he always had. Even when Pam was with Roy. But then, he showed his love in the way of friendship. When Pam was still with Roy, Jim was her best friend. Now, he was more than that. He was her best friend and her husband. Jim was love. Jim and love were the red jelly bean.

Lastly, Pam held the green jelly bean. Pam decided that green represented nature. Nature was the grass, the trees, and the flowers. They grew and changed over time. And in that way, green was also the future. Pam and Jim’s future. It would grow and continue to grow. Pam closed her eyes and pictured her and Jim relaxing on the deck in their back yard, watching their children running around and playing. There were so many things the future could bring them. They would just have to wait and see. Yep, green was definitely the future.

Pam was brought back to reality as Jim came up to her desk.

“Hey,” he said as he grabbed a red jelly bean. “What are you so deep in thought about?”

Pam looked down at the colors of her life. She too took a red jelly bean and popped it into her mouth. Pam just gazed at Jim and smiled.
Chapter End Notes:
Please review! It would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year!


BellaJam is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked The Jelly Bean Color Spectrum also liked 1098 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans