- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Wow, I got this chapter up fast! I like the way it turned out, too! Win, win! Malcom Lake read over this and gave me my suggestions even though he was getting ready to leave town. He deserves another Dundie Award. (:

Thank you all for your reviews! They are wonderful!

Jim was pacing back and forth; his mind was whirling. First, he discovered that the wounds he saw on Pam were caused by Roy and his anger. Then, she told him that they couldn’t be friends any longer. He was praying that he was only dreaming and that he would soon wake up tangled in his sheets. But deep down, he knew he wasn’t dreaming and that this was real.

 

His house seemed too quiet and lifeless. He couldn’t ever remember a time when the house was this empty and he felt so alone.

 

He lay down on his couch and tried to read, but the room was way too quiet. He blasted the speakers on the TV so he could get his mind off of her. Nothing was working. He turned off the TV and went upstairs. He walked into Mark’s room where Pam had stayed the night and saw the bed was still unmade. The room smelled like her. He picked up the pillow and saw black smears left over from her mascara. He sniffed it and her scent remained there; it was overwhelming. He ripped off the sheets and pillowcases and carried them to the laundry room. He had to get her scent out of the house. If she wanted to stay clear of him, then he had to forget as much of her as he could. After tossing everything in the washing machine, he made his way to his bathroom. He stepped inside the shower and made sure the water was extremely hot so it would distract him from thinking about Pam. When he started to realize he used up most of the hot water and the shower was cold, he stepped out and got dressed in his most comfortable pair of basketball shorts and his warmest sweatshirt.

 

He made his way downstairs and heard his cell phone ring. He picked it up the caller ID read Pam Beesly. He quickly answered it and said, “Hello?” but he heard no response. He asked again but then heard a deep voice screaming. He immediately recognized it as Roy’s. Then, he heard mumbled curses and something shatter to the ground. He also could make out sobs and screams coming from Pam. At first, Jim was petrified and the scene didn’t process. When he finally realized what was going on, he slammed his phone shut and reached for his car keys. The love of his life was in pain and he was going to help her. As he was walking out of the door the fact hit him that he had no clue where Pam lived. Dwight, he thought, he knows where everybody lives. Dammit, why didn’t I think of that two nights ago? He picked up the phone but his hands were shaking so much that he could barley hold onto it. He scrolled down his address book until he saw Dwight’s number.

 

“Dwight K. Schrute speaking.”

“Dwight! It’s Jim!”

 

“As in Jim Halpert, a salesman of the Dunder Mifflin Scranton branch?”

 

“Yeah, listen—”

 

“How do I know you’re not a Jim Halpert impersonator?”

 

Jim sighed. He should have known something like this would happen.

 

“You’re Dwight Kurt Schrute and you love and Battlestar Galactica. You live on a beet farm with your cousin, Mose. You are a Volunteer Sheriff Deputy on the weekends. You know every fact about bears—”

 

“Okay, I believe you. But if I find out you are a fraud you will be put into jail.”

 

Jim had to try extremely hard to keep it together. He squinted his eyes, trying to keep from screaming at his coworker.

 

“Okay, fine, but listen. I need Pam’s address and I know you know it.”

 

“Why are you going to her house?”

 

“No reason, I just need it right now!”

 

“How do I know you aren’t going over there to murder her or burn down her apartment or—”

 

Dwight.

 

“Okay, fine. It’s 2132 South Fairwood Drive .”

 

“Thanks, Dwight! Now, I have to go. Bye.”

 

Jim hung up before he could hear anything else from Dwight. The insane beet farmer bombarding him with questions was bound to happen. As he got in the car, he called the police and told them what was happening with Pam.

 

The drive to her apartment felt like it took an hour when it really only took around five minutes. The police drove in right behind him and they all ran up the stairs to her apartment and the police busted open the door. Jim could hear Roy screaming at Pam. With the police close behind him, he made his way through the small apartment stepping over broken pieces of something blue. He followed the yelling until he reached the bathroom. That’s when he saw Roy holding her head underwater. It was by far the most awful thing he had ever seen in his entire life.

 

*****

 

Pam’s eyes slowly blinked open and it took a while for her vision to clear. When it did, she realized she was lying on her living room couch and lights were flashing. The furniture was overturned and she felt awfully weak. She slowly turned her head and found herself facing Jim. He was holding her hand and tears were running down his face leaving droplets on his chin.

 

“She woke up! She’s alive!” he said.

 

Pam was utterly befuddled and had absolutely no clue of what was going on. She tried to sit up but simply couldn’t because she was so worn out.

 

“Lie back down, everything’s okay now,” he said and reached for a blanket that he gently placed over her.

 

“Jim, what’s going on? What are you doing here and why are the paramedics and police in my apartment?”

 

“Pam,” he began and reached for her hand again. “Roy tried to kill you.”

 

Memories of the past few hours flooded through her brain. “I—I remember now.”

 

He was silent for a moment. “We thought you were dead.” He sniffed and his voice cracked at the end of his sentence. More tears ran down his face which caused a few to fall from her face, too.

 

Pam gulped and unsuccessfully tried to hold back tears. “How did you know what was happening?”

 

“You never hung up your cell phone and I heard him yelling at you. Then I heard something crash in the background and you pleading for him to stop. I knew he was abusing you again.”

 

More tears began to roll down her cheeks. Of course he knew, she thought. He would do anything for me. Then, a policeman came and kneeled next to her. “How are you feeling?” he asked.

 

“Exhausted.”

 

“You’re lucky to be alive. May I ask you a few questions?”

 

She nodded her head and he began questioning her about Roy’s previous angry episodes and if he had ever hurt her before. She told him the complete truth because now there was nothing left to let lose. She wanted him in prison even though they spent nearly ten years together. She felt as if there was no way she could hold any form of relationship with him anymore and that broke her heart. She loved him, but not in a romantic way. She mostly loved their shared history. She deeply loved Jim and now she was able to face that. The emotions she felt around him were different than anything she had ever experienced before.

 

“Officer,” Jim started.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Is it alright if I take Pam to my house? I just want her out of here.”

 

“Of course.”

 

The officer then walked away from the couch and up to another policeman.

 

“Jim?” she asked.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Is it okay if I stay with you longer? My apartment is a wreck and I’ll need a place to stay until things get situated.”

 

“That’s no problem at all,” he replied and gave her a warm smile and a gentle hand squeeze.

 

“Good,” she said and smiled back. Even in a time as dark as this, she could find light in Jim’s smile. He reached over with his free hand and wiped her tears away. It was such a minor gesture but it caused her heart to beat even more. Before she knew it, she was falling asleep again on the couch. She was still holding his hand and she wouldn’t let go of it for the world.

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are like Stanley eating pretzels or Michael on a sugar rush - I can't get enough of it. So review away, mateys!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans