- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Special thanks to Poker Chips and Malcom Lake who read over this chapter and gave me great suggestions! I'm so sorry for the delay; I have had bad writers block lately and I'll hopefully have the next chapter up soon! Thank you all for your great reviews; keep them coming!

I'd also like to let you guys know that I'm sorry this chapter and the one before are kind of slow moving. I know with this story is going (honest!) but it's just taking me longer than I thought to get there. I'll hopefully get this story crackin' soon and then I'll get back to my other stories I have left unfinished. Stay with me!

Pam slept pleasantly for the remainder of the night. She felt so safe lying in Jim’s arms. She woke up once with a start because an ambulance drove by with its sirens wailing but the steady movement of his chest moving up and down lulled her back to sleep. She dreamed until the pleasant aroma of cooking bacon woke her up. She briefly panicked when she saw that Jim was no longer next to her. Then she heard a deep voice humming to “On the Way Down” by Ryan Carbrera coming from the kitchen. She slowly sat up and put her feet on the floor and slowly stood up. She was pleased to know that she could now walk around without feeling too much pain from the wounds Roy had inflicted on her. She made her way to the bathroom first so she could look in the mirror and make sure she didn’t look to bad for just waking up. She brushed her teeth and combed her hair and made her way to the kitchen.

 

“Morning, Halpert.” He jumped and turned around to face her. “Jesus! You scared me!”

 

“Nice choice of music,” she said and leaned against the counter next to where he was cooking.

 

“I know, right?” he replied, giving his best valley girl impression.

 

“I was being sarcastic, you know.”

 

“Sarcasm received.” Pam rolled her eyes and smiled to herself. She took a moment to look at his appearance. His hair was messy just like the morning before and he had a little bit of flour on his cheek. “So, did you sleep well?” he asked.

 

“Like a rock.”

 

“Good! I see that you’re up and moving this morning.”

 

“Yeah, I feel so much better! So what are you cooking?”

 

“Pancakes, bacon, and eggs.”

 

“Can I help?”

 

“No, Pam. This is a one man job and you’ll only mess it up.” His voice was tinted with laughter.

 

“If anybody were to mess this up it would be you.”

 

“Excuse me? I am actually a great cook!”

 

Pam bit her lip and tried to keep a straight face but failed. She reached for the pancake mix and started to make another batch.

 

“Which do you like in your pancakes more: chocolate chips or blueberries?” he asked.

 

“Um.. Blueberries,” she replied.

 

“Good choice.”

 

They continued to cook and had some pancakes on the grill while others were still being mixed together. She didn’t know why they were cooking so many for only four people but she was enjoying it. “Hey, Jim, look at me.” As he turned around to face her she flicked flour on his face.

 

“Oh, Beesly, you did not just throw flour in my face.” His face was mock serious.

 

“I think I just did.”

 

“Do you know who you’re messing with?” He then grabbed a handful of flour and poured it on her head. She scoffed and then reached for more but instead accidentally knocked the cup that was holding the wet pancake mix on the floor.

 

“Smooth move, Iron Chef.”

 

“I hate you.”

 

Pam then bent down and went for a handful of the wet mix and threw it up at Jim. He took a step forward so he could get her back but instead accidentally slipped on the mix. He grabbed her arm and pulled her down with him and they both landed on top of the pancake batter in hysterics. When their laughing finally started to die down and she rolled over on her side. Their faces were close to touching and the humor started to fade away. She could feel the blush rise in her cheeks as she saw the way he was looking at her. Her stomach felt like a washing machine; turning in repetitive circles. His breath was hot on her face and she saw his eyes flick to her lips. She wanted one of them to gain enough courage and lean in so their lips were touching. They were so close; it would only take a minor movement. Suddenly, the smell of smoke filled the room and she pulled away quickly. “We forgot to take the pancakes off the stove!” She stood up and felt his absence immediately. Jim ran grabbed the fire extinguisher and sprayed out the small fire. The commotion died down and it grew painfully quiet. Pam was still hazy from what had just happened before she smelled the smoke. She looked over at Jim. Even covered in pancake mix he looked adorable.

 

“Well, we really turned this into Hell’s Kitchen,” he said, finally breaking the awkward silence. The small remark caused Pam to start giggling. Soon, she was cracking up once again and Jim only looked at her with a small smile on his face. “It really wasn’t that funny!” She finally calmed down and said, “What do you say we go out to breakfast? We can forget about this one. It’s ruined!”

 

“We should probably get cleaned up first. We’re drenched in pancake mix and I don’t think we would be welcome at a restaurant looking like this. I have a shower upstairs and you can use it while I clean up in here.”

 

“No, I should help! I caused this mess!”

 

“Don’t worry about it, I can handle it,” he said smiling.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Positive. Oh, and don’t forget to wash behind your ears.”

 

“Gee, thanks, mom.”

 

“Wait! I think we need a picture of this.”

 

“Are you serious?”

 

“I’m dead serious. Hold on.” He ran into the other room and came back quickly with a digital camera in hand. He put it on the counter and set the automatic timer then quickly walked over to her. She started to blush again as he put his arm around her shoulders and wished he wasn’t taking a picture because she knew the pink on her cheeks was visible. “Say cheese!” The camera flashed and he went over to retrieve it. He nodded and admired the image as if it were a work of art. “This definitely deserves a spot on my desk at work.”

 

“Oh, please don’t Jim. I would kill you.”

 

“Why? It’s a Kodak moment!” She rolled her eyes. “Am I free to take a shower now? This batter is drying and it’s starting to get uncomfortable.”

 

“Okay, fine. Whiner.” She went over and playfully smacked his upper arm.

 

“You’re such a geek.”

 

She smiled to herself and went to get her suitcase and then up to the bathroom feeling a little disappointed that neither of them said anything about what happened only a few minutes ago. They were so close to kissing. She got goosebumps with only the idea of kissing Jim. It obviously meant something and both of them were too timid to bring it up. She was deep in thought when Mark’s door opened and Jonathan walked out.

 

“Woah, what happened to you?”

 

“There was an accident in the kitchen. Long story short, Jim and I tried to make breakfast. Go down and see for yourself.”

 

Jon let out a little laugh and made his way downstairs. She walked in the bathroom and saw her reflection in the mirror. She couldn’t help but smile. Something like this would only happen with Jim. She began to wonder what would happen as the day went on considering all of the events that transpired with the morning. She had the whole day to spend with him and frankly, she had a very good feeling about it.

Chapter End Notes:

Reviews are like Michael and Dwight driving a car into a pond. I just can't get enough.

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans