- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I FINALLY got the chance to update! Wahoo! I'm very happy I did! This chapter was surprisingly hard to write but it's done! I think I see the finish line drawing near..

Thanks to everyone who reviewed last chapter! They're all so sweet & supportive! And special thanks to Malcom Lake for being my beta. Um, yeah, he's pretty much the best of the best.

 

“So far, so good,” Jim thought as he began cleaning up the kitchen. “She doesn’t seem as anxious as she was last night. I just need to keep her mind off of it for a little longer...”

 

Right at that moment, Jon walked into the room.

 

“Pam was right,” he said. “This is a pit.” Jim chuckled and threw his rag in the sink.

 

“So, Jim,” Jon continued. “What’s going on between you and Pam? Last I heard she was still engaged to that Ron dude.”

 

“It’s Roy ,” Jim corrected. “And to tell you the truth, I don’t really know what’s going on between them.” His smirk faded and he looked at the ground. That issue was really bothering him; Pam had not specified if she was still with Roy . He knew that a normal person would end an abusive relationship right away but he knows how she is. She isn’t the bravest person in the world and he knows that one of her biggest fears is major change. And ending an engagement would be, without a doubt, a huge change. He wasn’t even sure what happened to Roy . He last saw him sitting in a police car looking dejected.

 

“Oh…” Jon began. “Why is she here, then?”

 

“I don’t know if I should tell you or not.”

 

“Does it have something to do with the bruises on her?” Jim remained silent for a while, unsure if he should tell his brother, who was one of the most trustworthy people he knew, of what happened to her. Then, a warm voice said his name. He turned to the entryway of the kitchen and saw a beautiful version of Pam. Her hair was wet and obviously not brushed yet and she was in a navy long sleeved t-shirt and jeans. She walked up to him, her bare feet slapping against the linoleum, and picked up the rag he earlier threw into the sink.

 

“The shower’s yours,” she said and smiled up at him.

 

*****

 

A few hours later, Jim and Pam were sitting on big lounge chairs in a quaint and cozy cafe, sipping lattes and sharing a blueberry muffin. Snow was heavily falling outside and she was still slightly shivering from the cold air. The bottoms of her jeans were still wet and spots of her recently dried hair was damp. Before they left, Pam got a call on her cell phone and was informed that Roy had surprisingly pled guilty, which meant that she wouldn’t have to appear before court for a trial.

 

She took a sip of her hot drink and it sent a surge of warmth through her body. They hadn’t said much other than little comments on the snow or their drinks.

 

“Roy and I are done.” It was so sudden and it shocked her even coming out of her own mouth.

 

“Wow… I’m so sorry—”

 

“No. I mean, don’t be sorry,” she interrupted. “It was bound to happen. Actually, I was second guessing our relationship for a long time but I was just too scared to do anything about it. Truthfully, it may be for the best that all of this happened otherwise I’m not sure if I would have had the nerve to call things off. Also, everything that’s happened in the past few days... It’s... Um, I’m not really sure how to put this…” God, she was feeling brave. She inhaled a deep breath before speaking the last few words. “It’s helped me realize how strong my feelings are for you.”

 

After what seemed to her like an eternity of silence, he finally spoke in a near whisper. “You have no idea how much I’ve dreamed of you saying that.”

 

“Good,” she replied in a soft voice too. For a minute or so, all they did was look at each other; examining their faces. “I should’ve never been with Roy. For a while, it seemed like it was the best thing for me. Then I met you and I realized that I wasn’t being treated how I should. I used to think Roy wasn’t a bad person. After last night I noticed he needs help; he isn’t the right guy for me. Maybe one day he’ll meet another girl he will really love and care for. Recently, I haven’t been able to get you off my mind. It made me notice that you’re the guy I’ve always dreamed of.”

 

Jim smiled at this and reached across the table to lace his fingers through hers. He gave them a gentle squeeze. “I can’t even start to explain how happy I am now. Everything you’ve said… I don’t know, I’ve just wanted to hear it for the longest time.” She smiled and squeezed his fingers back. It was quiet again for a few moments until he asked, “So, what does this mean?”

 

“Well, this may sound completely crazy of me, but I’m ready. I don’t know how I am, but I’m ready to be with you. That is, if you’re ready to be with me. And I want you to know that this isn’t a rebound because I think I’ve just been ready for a long time.”

 

“I’m ready too.”

 

*****

 

They walked out of the coffee shop, hand in hand, with bright smiles on their faces. Snow was covering the ground and it was still falling in heaps. Pam leaned against his car and gazed up at him. His hand was on the car next to her waist.

 

“For the longest time, I’ve felt as if I was missing something. I couldn’t put my finger on what it was but now I know. Now, I know that you were the something missing. I don’t feel incomplete anymore.”

 

Jim smiled down at her and decided that now was the time. He slowly lowered his head to hers and their foreheads touched. She looked into his eyes and her breath hitched as their lips almost touched. She wrapped her arms around him and finally, their lips locked. He pulled her tightly against her and his warm body made her forget about the winter air. The snow fell around them and landed on their faces. The kiss proved everything they wanted to know; it spoke the unspoken words of love. When they pulled away, they remained in the cozy embrace. He ran his finger around her lips and he wiped away the snowflakes that melted on her face.

 

“That was…” he started.

 

“Incredible,” she finished and pulled him down for another kiss. When they pulled away again, they didn’t speak so they could cherish the intensity of the moment. When the cold air began to bite, they stepped into the car.

 

“I think I should go talk to Roy in person to make sure he understands that we’re over,” she said.

 

“Do you want me to come with you?”

 

“I should probably do it on my own, but I would feel much more comfortable if you did.”

 

“Then I will.”

 

He reached over and took her hand into his again. At this moment, things felt as if they couldn’t get any better. But considering that she would have to face Roy again soon, she had a feeling that her newly created feeling of being in a sanctuary wouldn’t always remain.

Chapter End Notes:
I can't beg and plead enough for reviews. All I can say is that they inspire me to keep writing. The more reviews I get, the sooner I'll update. So therefore, bombard me with reviews. I'll be a happy camper and you'll get a new chapter quicker. Win win. 

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans