- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Takes place some time after Dwight's Speech (02.17)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Pam prefers the comfort of the known. It's why she still works at Dunder Mifflin. It's why she hasn't applied for a different a position. It is why she's still living in Scranton. She tells herself that comfort is better than risk. That although risk may give you a temporary high, make you feel free, or grown-up, or different, comfort is... well, comfortable. It's nice. And it's solid. And it's a guarantee that you'll always receive a paycheck. That you'll always have the answers. That you'll never be alone.

Once in awhile, when she's passing time surfing the net, Pam pretends that she's going on a trip and types her information into Orbitz, just to see how much a European trip would cost. It's a lot. But sometimes it seems like something she could save for. Well, if she weren't saving for a wedding. Or had to take Roy. But not taking Roy would be weird. To go to Europe alone would be weirder. She's been planning this "trip" for three years and the more often she thinks about it, researches it, the more feasible $2500 (plus food money) becomes.

Jim is taking a trip. To Australia. He bought the ticket and everything. It's why he won't be at her wedding. When Jim first told her about it, Pam was pretty upset. Of all the people she needed to be there on her wedding day, it was Jim. But it'll be good. Jim needs to go places and do things. He stays in the lines most of the time and he deserves some fun. She doesn't even think Jim’s been outside of Scranton. Well, maybe for a seminar or something. But not for anything good.

And Roy. Well, Roy doesn't want to travel anywhere else; Not because of comfort, or lack of money, but because Roy has no interest in leaving Scranton. Ever. He could care less if he moves up at, or out of, Dunder Mifflin. In fact, Pam isn't sure that he cares what goes on outside of the world they live in right now. Roy has never surfed the net or even watched a show on cable. He likes sports on the radio and the three major networks on the television. He spends his free-time playing poker with Daryl and the other warehouse guys. He hasn't taken Pam to a movie in two and a half years. The last one they saw together was Gigli. Roy's choice.

So yeah, that European trip would be nice, if she could find a way to go with someone other than Roy. Someone who would take her picture by a fountain and walk the cobblestone streets from dawn to dusk. Someone who would spend two days seeing absolutely every painting in The Louvre, and who would agree with her that Europe smells better than Scranton and laugh with her when she accidentally asks for something dirty in French. Or Italian. Or both. Someone who would enjoy just sitting in some nameless cafe, on some very old street corner, drinking espresso and watching people walk by. Someone who knows that words aren't needed, that you're both thinking the same thing, "Wow. This is just how I imagined it."

"Where are you right now?" Jim's voice wakes her from her daydream, "Wait. Let me guess. Cafe. Paris. Espresso." Jim smiles. The one where just one corner of his lips go up and his eyes do that thing. Pam smiles back.

Maybe comfort is someone knowing you so well that you're willing to take a risk and allow yourself to be... you. And there is something good in that.

"Strip club. Cleveland. Brewski." Pam giggles, "Sorry Halpert, maybe next time."

END


tlace is the author of 1 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans