- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is the most intense of the bunch. It shows the present as well as flashbacks. One more chapter left!

Disclaimer: I don't own the office or these characters. No copyright infringement is intended.

Thanks again to my beta team, K&D.
Jim Halpert had a lot of ideas about what life would be like once he and his fiancee Pam Beesly were married. Most of them included a modest sized house filled with the laughter of children. He had always envisioned that they would have two or three kids, a dog, and be ridiculously happy. These hopes and dreams seemed to be quickly fading as he knelt beside her pushing down on her chest over and over.

“Come on Pam.” He whispered before forcing his air into her lungs again.



“This weekend is going to be so relaxing. I don’t think we have had a moment of quiet since we started planning the wedding.”

“That’s why I didn’t hesitate to say yes when Uncle Paul asked if we could dog sit at his house. Even as a kid this was one of my favorite places to go.”

“So what all do you want to do the next few day? In addition to sleeping in and relaxing of course.”

“I was hoping for a walk in the fields tomorrow morning, watching all the DVDs we rented, and of course loads of sex.”

“I think I can work some of those things into my plan, if I don’t find anything better to occupy my time.”

“Ouch Beesly, making me work for your attention. I suppose it’s worth it.”

Pam playfully punched Jim’s arm and laughed.



“…27, 28, 29, 30. Just breathe for me Pam.” Jim said before sealing his lips over hers and giving her two breaths.

He repositioned his hands over her chest and began to push. “1, 2, 3, 4…” His arms ached and his head was spinning. He was trying his hardest not to lose it completely.

“…27, 28, 29, 30. Don’t do this to me Pam. Just breathe.” He begged and delivered another set of breaths.



“Can we dog sit for your Uncle every weekend? I forgot how amazing this place is.” Pam said as she placed her head on Jim’s chest.

“Are you sure it’s this place and not just my ability to make you groan for more?”

“While I greatly appreciate your incredible abilities, I’m pretty sure they are only a portion of the magic at work here. I just love being able to actually hear the birds and be in the fresh air. Plus their pool is amazing. I’ve seen ones like it on TV, but I can’t believe I swam in one last night.”

“The pool is pretty great, but I guess I’m so used to it that the amazement has kind of worn off. I have to admit that seeing you in a two-piece has brought a whole new excitement to the picture though.” He said with a smirk, pulling Pam on top of his bare chest. “I want you again.”

“I want you too, but can we please go down and swim? I’ve never been able to just wake up and go right outside for a swim. I promise we can come right back up here when we’re done.” She begged with a pout.

“That’s so unfair Pam. You know I can’t refuse anything when you do that. Let’s get ready and go down.”



Tears where clouding Jim’s vision as he continued to try and resuscitate Pam. He rechecked for a pulse and found nothing. His hands were shaking as he pressed down on her sternum and he was finding it harder to maintain control over his emotions. He gave her two more breaths and tried to ignore the coldness of her lips.

“Please Pam, please come back.” He pleaded as he began pushing on her chest again.




“Are you sure you don’t mind me doing a few laps?” Pam asked Jim as he dried off.

“Of course not. I’m just going to go in and get a snack. You want anything?”

“Yeah, that would be great. I’m pretty hungry, especially since we skipped breakfast.”

“I’ll be right back. Yell if you need anything.”




“Damn it Pam, Breathe!” Jim shouted as he gave her a breath. “Now Pam!” He gave her another. “1, 2, 3, 4…” fear and anger were taking over as Jim realized he had never ran to get the phone. He was alone, no help was coming, and time was slipping away. It was his fault for leaving her and the thought of losing her made him want to die himself.




“Pam? Hey Pam I have the food. Where are you?” Jim looked around the deck for her.

He turned around to look in the pool and his heart jumped to his throat. Pam was face down, not moving, not responding to his calls. He dove in, grabbed her around the waist, and hoisted her onto the deck. She wasn’t breathing, her lips where cold and blue. He tipped her head back, pinched her nose, and gave her two breaths. Jim couldn’t find a pulse. His mind raced as he placed his hands on her sternum and began to push down. Jim knew he needed to call for help, but the phone was all the way on the other side of the house. He decided to try and revive her first before going for the phone.




“…27, 28, 29, 30. Breathe.” He begged again as he placed his mouth to hers. He felt her trying to cough and pulled his mouth back. “That’s it Pam, come on cough baby, cough.”

He rolled her onto her side and water poured from her mouth. She gasped and coughed, turning to face Jim.

“There you are.” He choked out through sobs and pulled her into a tight embrace.

“Jim, what happened? I remember getting kind of dizzy doing laps and I think I blacked out.”

“I don’t know. I came out and you were unconscious in the water. I didn’t get the phone, because I couldn’t convince myself to stop and leave you. We need to get you checked out though.”

“Thank you.” Pam said, stroking the side of Jim’s cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Jim wrapped Pam in a towel and picked her up. He grabbed her clothes and took her to the car. The drive to the hospital was long and Jim kept his focus on the road, trying to repress the thoughts of Pam lying on the pool deck, cold and blue.
Chapter End Notes:
One more chapter and its all finished up. Please, please, please review for me! I'm starting to think no one likes the story anymore:(

Chapter 5 will be ready sometime tomorrow.


kev77 is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked 5 times jim saves the receptionist also liked 2374 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans