- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Grown up Jim again, sometime after season 5.
He was pacing. He hated it when people paced. What did wearing a rut in the carpet do? Nothing. It was annoying, but he was doing it: back and forth, his feet dragging through the carpet that they had yet to deshag.

They'd been so careful about protection. Pam even had an alarm set on her cell phone so she made sure to take her pill at the same time every day. Had she missed a day? Had she stopped taking it and not told him? He remembered something about their pharmacist telling them that antibiotics cancel out birth control, and they'd used condoms...right? He couldn't remember.

Not that it would be a bad thing. It would be a great thing. They'd been talking about kids for a while now, but were they really ready? He still wanted to find a new job, she still wanted to take some more classes. They'd only just finished taking down the paneling throughout the house, and they still had so much work in the house to do before they were completely satisfied. Would there be enough room for a baby? Enough time? Enough money?

He raked his fingers through his hair. God, three minutes had never lasted for so long. He wondered if test had already developed and Pam was in the bathroom crying, or...or throwing up or...he didn't know. He just wished that she would come out already.

"Jim." He whipped around to find her standing in the doorway of the living room, the slim plastic stick in her hand. She was too far away for him to see the results of the test, but her eyes were shining. He crossed the space between them in two steps and took her face in his hands, his eyes searching for the answers that he was already pretty sure of. She took a deep breath, then smiled. "Jim...you're gonna be a daddy."

Instantly, his worries disappeared and a bubble of elation welled up inside of him. He'd been dreaming about this moment, wishing for it, hoping for it for so long, and it was finally here. Yes, he was ready for a baby. They were ready for a baby. The money and the space and the time? They would make it. They could do this, and he knew that there would be no baby in the world more loved by their parents than this one.

He knew he was crying when Pam reached up to wipe his tears from his cheeks, not caring about her own. He pressed his mouth to hers, pulling her to him, but careful not to crush her stomach. When they pulled away, she was laughing and he was smiling so big his cheeks hurt. He leaned his forehead against hers, still not quite believing it.

"Pam," he breathed, his voice husky. "I'm gonna be a daddy."
Chapter End Notes:
I've been envisioning this moment between the two of them for SO LONG. I hope it comes soon...anyway, thanks for reading!!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans