- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Written in about 20 minutes because I can't believe how angry I am with Mr. Charles. Title from "This is Home" by Switchfoot.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I own nothing but a love of John Krasinski in a bow tie.
As they walked out of the building together, Pam could tell that Jim was extremely stressed. His shoulders were hunched over, and he lacked that charming spring in his step.

The car ride home was silent, and Pam remembered another timewhen Jim feared for his job. But Ryan had been fired, and this new guy, Charles, seemed as tough as nails. Pam didn't think he was going anywhere soon.

As they walked through the door, Jim quickly murmered "I'm going to CHANGE."

Pam was worried about him, and she decided to make dinner for him. Famous Halpert grilled cheese. Hey, it couldn't hurt to practice, right?

She heard him bound down the stairs and enter the kitchen. He stood a good distance away from her, his head hung low.

"Pam, let me explain..." he started, but she cut him off.

"You have NOTHING to explain, Jim. It's not your fault that corporate hired such a heartless, condescending person. You did nothing wrong."

"Yeah, but Pam, he's not gonna keep me around for long. I made a terrible first impression."

He looked so beaten standing there. She hated seeing him like this.

"Jim, it'll be fine. Wallace loves you, he won't let you get fired."

"But what if I do? What if we loose this?" he guestured to the house walls. "What if we can't afford the wedding? Everything I've worked for for so long, it's all been for you. How could I forgive myself if I loose this?"

Something inside Pam snapped. She just couldn't bear him like this. She closed the space between them and wrapped her arms around him, kissing him with everything she had.

When they broke apart, she whispered "Still worried?"

He gave her a small smile.

"Jim, you know those things aren't important. True, this house means the world to me, but as long as I was with you, anywhere would feel like home. And as for the wedding, I wouldn't care if we got married in Dwight's beet patch, so long as I was marrying you. Don't let this guy make you forget who you are, who we are."

He sighed. "You're right, of course. We'll be fine either way, I promise. I just want you to have the best, and right now this is the best I can come up with."

She leaned in for another kiss.

"Oh, and Pam?" he whispered.

"Hmm?"

"I think you burned my grilled cheese."
Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are always greatly appreciated! Thank you for reading!


NoFireworks is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Belief Over Misery also liked 1624 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans