- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
First chapter written, last chapter up. It's the one I like best, so I've been hesitant to post it and actually end the story. But it's done now, hope you enjoy!
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters or the show. This is just for fun.

Kicking and swinging his arms, Jim fought to get back to air. With one last stroke, he thrust his head above water for a second, gasping for breath, blowing the chlorine water from his nose. The pool wall seemed miles away, but after the jump he‘d just been through, it no longer looked so intimidating.

Just before hitting the water, Jim had glanced up to the pool side. Tom and Pete were standing across from the deep end, mouths hanging open in shock, that he had actually jumped. Remembering that moment Jim felt a smile cross his face, as he struggled to dog paddle to the ladder. Already he could see his Mom running toward him, looking scared to death. Even from this distance Jim could hear her fussing at his brothers who were close behind. Jim knew he would get a lecture, probably lose some privileges, and his muscles were likely going to still be sore tomorrow. But the moment of shocking his brothers, the looks on their faces, made it all worth it.




Irony. That’s what this was in a word. The place that he’d wished to escape his coworkers a hundred times over, is now the one place he can go for solitude. The spot where he’d spent hours, hiding his feelings for a curly haired receptionist, was now the place he planned to suffer through the first moments of her rejection.

Sighing, Jim turned in the door at the office and froze. Desk lamps and computer monitors were on and he could see the faint silhouette of someone leaning against his desk. A quiet voice spoke and Jim couldn’t breathe for a second. What was Pam doing here, at his desk? After the parking lot, he’d assumed that she had gone home. But no, for some reason Pam was here, a few feet away, softly talking in his phone. Trying to pull his thoughts together, Jim stood frozen, eyes closed, as Pam talked, listening as she tried to make sense of what had just happened. In the same way that he knew her left hand was fiddling with the phone cord, he knew this was the voice Pam used when she was uncertain and trying to convince herself of something. Trying to convince herself that she should marry Roy or that she should leave Roy, he couldn’t be sure.

Jim stayed hidden until Pam’s hushed voice mentioned how great he was, then suddenly he was off the wall and walking around the corner before he could think. A voice from Jim’s brain was screaming at him to get away, but his heart was in charge now, propelling his feet forward. Surprise flashed across Pam’s face for just a moment when he stepped into her eye line. Quickly she ended the call and put his receiver down. Turning to face him, Pam took a deep breathe and Jim could see from the set of her shoulders, that she was about to be polite, best friend, Pam again, but he was done with that charade.

Jim stepped in front of her and then Pam was suddenly in his arms, his hands resting on the small of her back. Before either of them had a chance to react, Jim leaned over and softly pressed his lips to hers. For a second he was scared to death, as the reality of what he’d just done hit him. Then Jim became aware that Pam wasn’t pulling away, in fact her hands were now softly resting on his shoulders. A heartbeat later, Pam tilted her head slightly to deepen the kiss and her hands were cupping the back of his head, fingers sliding through his hair. Jim had the shock of his life, as he realized that Pam Beesley was kissing him.

A few short seconds later, Jim felt her mouth start to break apart from his. He leaned in for one more kiss, knowing if she rejected him again, this moment was going to make the pain of the next few months even worse. But as her tiny hands slowly slid down his chest to rest in his lanky ones, Jim decided that some memories were worth the pain.
Chapter End Notes:
I can't believe this story is over, some chapters I loved writing and some made me want to throw things at my laptop. But now I want to give a huge THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to review and offer their thoughts. Thanks for sticking with me!


Casinos and Coal Walks is the author of 8 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans