- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everybody, thanks for sticking with us past the Christmas season! Here's chapter 5, a bit different than the rest of them, written my pamelamorganhalpert and beta'ed by Deedldee.
-pamelamorganhalpert
Chapter 5 – Christmas 2009

Pam groaned as she leaned back, melting into Jim’s chest as she sat between his legs like she had done years prior at Dwight’s beet farm on their first night away together. They had found this to be the most comfortable sitting position for her a few weeks back, his body being more sturdy and supportive than pillows propped against the headboard for her pregnant body. Jim and Pam relaxed in the late evening as they awaited sleep. It had been a busy day, filled to the brim with time spent with both sides of the family – Pam’s for a late brunch and Jim’s for Christmas dinner and the unwrapping of even more presents for the baby.

Elf played on the small TV in front of them, Will Ferrell’s character sparking thoughts about a similar person they were quite familiar with.

“He’s just like Michael!” Pam exclaimed as Buddy the elf threw at least a pound’s worth of candy and sugared cereals into a bowl before stuffing himself full of the unhealthy food.

Jim laughed. “I was just about to say that, but I didn’t want him to come into our ‘happy space’” he replied and their minds wandered to the barbeque at Jim’s old house with Mark.

“I can’t help it, they’re both so clueless!” Pam laughed, too. “Oh crap, now I can’t stop thinking about Michael. He put so much candy onto that pretzel. It was gross.”

“Stop, you’re going to make yourself sick thinking about that. And hey, mind your language around the baby!” Jim’s hands rubbed her ever-expanding belly that was protruding from the sheets covering them.

Pam giggled. “Shhh. I’m trying to watch the movie!” She whispered.

“Fine, be that way. This movie is so sad.” He said, pretending to be offended.

“Yeah.” Pam was quiet for a minute, wrapped up in the events of the movie. “Wait, how is this sad?”

“I don’t know… it just takes them all a while before they can truly be happy… and they get their feelings hurt over and over before everything works out in the end.” Jim said quietly in a more serious tone. He rubbed her belly and a thankful, relieved expression filled his face that the hard waiting period was finally over and they were able to be together without any obstacles.

“Wow, that sounds a lot like us.” Pam replied in a more solemn wistful voice, somewhat sad at the events that had occurred in order for their relationship to begin. “I was with Roy, then there was Casino Night, you left for Stamford, then Karen, we didn’t communicate well…” Pam’s voice became quieter and she stopped speaking. She looked pained to remember all the hardships they’d been through.

“Yeah.” He pulled her closer, which was hardly possible considering their proximity and her burgeoning belly, but somehow he was able to completely wrap her in his arms. Jim placed several soft kisses on her hair, ears and neck before he spoke again minutes later. “But we made it anyways… that’s what counts.”

“You’re right. I love you so much Jim. And our baby, too.” She sighed contently and pulled Jim’s hands onto her stomach to feel the baby kicking.

“I love you more than anything, Pam… well except for this little baby here.” Jim and Pam both laughed and she turned her head around to kiss his lips as Buddy the elf stood in awe of the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Plaza.


Jim

Now that I think about it, I really can’t choose which has been my favorite Christmas with Pam so far. They’ve all been so special, romantic and memorable in their own way. When we were dating she came with me to Christmas dinner, the first time I’d ever brought a woman with me to meet my family. She had been so nervous all day long, frantically baking every type of sugary dessert known to mankind to bring with us. I’d gone to her apartment trying to relax her with breakfast and when she opened the door her pink apron had 5 fresh stains on it, her face covered in flower. Pam quickly kissed me good morning, took the brown sugar and juice from my hands and was back in the kitchen measuring baking soda before I could blink my eyes. All of my family ended up loving Pam, just as I had told her many times, but it made me so happy to know she cared so much about their impression of her.

The next year, when we were engaged, we went to Pam parent’s house. They had been fighting in front of us and when returned home to our little house Pam couldn’t stop ranting at how she was so embarrassed that they had done that and how thankful we would never be like them. Later as I tried to calm her down we talked about our favorite moments in our relationship. Pam spoke about the look on my face when I came home one day after work to see that she was making dinner and had skipped a class at Pratt to be with me. I told her that when I proposed to her, that was one of the highlights of my life so far, and I feel like the luckiest man alive to be with her for the rest of our lives.

So I guess I won’t choose which Christmas was my favorite. They have all been filled with their ups and downs, but in the end were spent with just moments to reflect on the journey it’s been to get here.

Next year, I know, will be even better. The baby will be here and we’ll start to create memories which will last forever. I’m sure Pam and I will take more pictures than we could possibly imagine and we’ll have proof just how great our lives have turned out to be.

Pam

This Christmas I’ve tried to reflect on how lucky I am. The baby will be born in a couple months and I can’t wait to see what an amazing father Jim will be. There’s no guessing that he’ll be a natural at it, if I’ve learned anything from knowing him over the last 5 years it’s that he’s the most caring and sweet person on the planet.

Although it’s been a rough couple of months, with the unknown fate of Dunder Mifflin and whether or not we’d have jobs in 2010, we can stop holding our breaths and know that everything will be okay. Jim and I will still have our jobs, and when the baby comes in February we’ll be in a place where we can devote our full attention to it. We won’t need to worry whether or not there will be enough money, or anything like that, we can just enjoy the life we made together.

That’s why my resolution for the New Year is to be thankful and find the positive in every situation. I know I’ll have Jim’s support with that, as that’s just the kind of person he is. I think I admire that most about Jim, that even when life is hard he can make the most of it, and find a way to fix everything.

So for this Christmas I think Jim and I will focus on the baby. We’ll make sure we have everything for our child when he or she comes, and then maybe buy each other something special – something to remind us of all the happy times we’ve had, and the promise and excitement of the future.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! The next chapter will be the last one. :(

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans