- Text Size +
Story Notes:
A mental image of Jim holding CeCe was nagging me and this is the result.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I know it's nowhere near as good as some of the babyfic's I've read on here. But if anyone needs some fluff in their day, maybe this will help :)
Disclaimer: I do not own, Jim, Pam or CeCe. Otherwise we would have seen a lot more of her by now!



You’ve heard all the clichés and parenting quotes. You’ve gotten more advice then you even knew existed, from people you barely knew. You’ve heard that nothing could have prepared you for this moment, that you’ll love your baby more then life itself. You’ve heard them all so many times, they’ve become jokes between you and Pam.

But now you're standing here, in a hospital, holding your daughter and you can’t believe how true those clichés are. The fact that she’s actually here is almost too much to take in. Carefully you cradle her quiet form, watching her chest rise and fall to make sure she’s okay. You step over to the window to get a better look at her. But the evening light must have disturbed her, because with a small whimper she opens her eyes and locks gazes with you.

Stunned, you almost forget how to breathe as the two of you just stare at each other. Sure you knew that you were having a baby, you've known it for nine months. But with a pair of bluish eyes staring up at you, as if trying to see into your soul, it hits you full force. She’s not just a baby, she’s a person.

An actual, honest to goodness, human being, that will depend on you and Pam for everything. For a moment panic starts to grip you. In less then 24 hours the people at the hospital will smile, sign some papers and send you and Pam home with this tiny person who knows nothing of life. You and Pam will have to make sure she knows everything, from saying please and thank you, to long division, tying shoes, world politics..... Your mind starts reeling at the thought of the responsibility, that is now literally staring you in the face. And then as you start to wonder why in the world you thought you could do this, she shifts in her warm blanket cocoon and smiles.

Yes, you know that the books said babies this young don’t smile, but what do they know. This is your daughter, you’re her Dad and obviously you know her better. And as the tiny corners of her mouth turn up, there’s just enough of a trace of Pam’s mischievous grin in it, that makes you grin right back. She holds that look for a second more, then with a tiny yawn, her eyelids start to flutter closed. And in that moment the panic recedes.

Not entirely of course, because from now on CeCe’s well being will always be at the back of your mind.
But as her lashes touch her cheeks, she gives a small wiggle and snuggles tightly into your arms, and a sense of peace and protectiveness starts to overcome you. Those jokes about dad’s and shotguns? They make sense now and you wonder if Dwight would mind lending you a couple in 16 years. Or maybe 18 or 20. You stare at her perfect features and decide to play it safe, definitely 20.

The lightest of sigh’s escapes her tiny mouth, her rhythmic breathing proof that she’s gone back to her dreams. Sinking into a chair, you prepare to hold her for another hour or so, until Pam wakes up and wants a turn.

Soon enough you’ll have to face the real world, and all the challenges of parenting. For now though, you sit in a silent darkened room, staring at your daughter and remembering how people said that she’d wrap you around her finger. But that seems only fair to you, because she’s already wrapped around your heart.
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading! Please review if you have any comments, I love to hear them!


Casinos and Coal Walks is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Cliche's also liked 92 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans