- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Wrote this for another website, but after finding this one I thought that it might be appreciated here as well.
It's all so easy.

That's what she's thinking; the thought popping up all of the sudden as she's walking into the bathroom.

She enters the room and there, on the counter are two towels. Their towels. Hers and Jim's. And they're just lying there, next to one another, normally, as they do every day. But, something about them that day hits her and that one thought, that 'it's all so easy' one, pops into her head, and all of the sudden, she's laughing.

And she's smiling and laughing and she can see herself in the mirror and she knows she looks like an idiot, but she can't stop.

Because it is all so easy. And it's always been easy, ever since she had introduced him to everyone at the office on his first day of work. She realizes that she's probably loved him since then, since his first day, even if she didn't notice until later.

And even then, even when they realized it, even at first instant, it was all so easy.

There was no life-threatening situation, no great fight, no climatic event; it was strangely easy, ironically easy, if there is such a thing.

They had been decorating for the Easter party in the breakroom while everyone else was in the conference room listening to Michael. They had been trying not to make too much noise, but the sight of Jim with pink, purple, and bright yellow streamers draped on his shoulders was so funny it sent Pam into a fit of giggles that never ended. And, his hand was covering her mouth because she couldn't stop and her hand was on his chest, trying to push him away and they just looked at each other, and, as they say, that was that.

She looked at him and he looked at her and she thought, 'oh, he makes me happy,' and he looked at her and thought, 'oh, she makes me happy'. And he didn't feel like he was falling through space and time and she didn't feel like she was being struck by lightning. It was more like an, 'Oh. Of course.'

Then she grabbed him, or he grabbed her---they're not really sure and they're sure it doesn't matter--- in any case, they grabbed one another and kissed and that was how Michael had found them when he came to see if they were done decorating. Pam was pressed against the wall and Jim was pressed against her and Michael couldn't tell where either of them began or ended.

From that moment on, they were together. And that was easy too. She told Roy and he told Karen and they left them alone---not that they were happy about it---and Jim and Pam held hands and kissed. And they found an apartment together---a nice one, in the better side of Scranton----with her books and his kitchen and their bedroom, and this, their bathroom, with their towels lying side-by-side.

Pam's thinking about all this, as she stands there and laughs; their life together sifting through her head.

And it has been easy, but she guesses everything else in their lives has been hard. Jim had had to watch her and Roy together and she had had to watch him and Karen. So, she thinks that maybe they became so simple because everything else had always been so difficult.

And that's what Pam says when Jim comes in, eyebrow raised, and asks her why she's standing in their bathroom, laughing. She tells him all this and he smiles, his mouth crinkling into a sideways grin and he says, "Maybe you're right. We certainly deserve this."

They do, she thinks, looking at him, smiling at her; they do deserve it. They deserve each other, and they deserve to be how happy they make each other. They were meant for one another.

Then she grabbed him, or he grabbed her---they're not really sure and they're sure it doesn't matter--- in any case, they grab one another and kiss each other, and they still feel absolutely perfect together. Pam's pressed against the wall and Jim's pressed against her and they can't tell where either of them begins or ends.
Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this. Please, tell me what you think.


MrsKrasinski is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked The Simplicity of Falling also liked 1872 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans