- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Jim ambled slowly to the water’s edge, unsure of what to say to her. Humor seemed like a safe place to start.

“How are your feet?”

She chuckled, “Medium rare.”

Mid-laugh, they locked eyes. He whispered, “Pam, what was that?”

Pam swallowed and took a breath.  “You know what it is. It’s about a year too late, I know that. And I’ve wanted to tell you for a really long time. I was just too scared and I am really, really sorry about that. But I’ve decided it’s time to stop being scared and to tell you the truth.”

“What is the truth Pam?”

“The truth is that, although you took me by surprise on Casino Night, once I got over the shock, I started rethinking every moment we’ve had together, and I realized that I started loving you a very long time ago.” She paused to let the words sink in, and to catch her breath.

“I had convinced myself that I loved you as a friend. But the moment I let myself go there, I knew that I wanted more than that too.”

Jim stared at Pam, his eyes huge, his mouth slightly agape, his breath halting.

“I owe you the truth, Jim. And I truly do want you to be happy. I’m so sorry I did that in front of Karen. In spite of the fact that I am horribly jealous of her, I really do admire her and I don’t want to cause any problems between the two of you. But you deserve to know the truth and I just can’t keep it inside one minute longer.”

“Wait, you’re jealous of her? Really?” His face registered confusion as he tried to catch up with her words.

“Come on Jim, I think you knew that too. I know you’ve been mad at me, and I understand why. But I don’t want us to play this game anymore. It hurts too much. You laid out all your cards to me a year ago; it’s high time I did the same. We can move on from here, I won’t interfere again, I swear. I just can’t stand all this hidden stuff anymore.”

“A long time ago? Really?” Jim scanned her face for signs that what he was hearing was real.

“Yes, Jim. With all my heart.” Her eyes filled with tears. “You are . . . the very best person I’ve ever known. Ever. All the happiest moments of my life have been with you. No matter what, I want you to know that.”

Jim took a deep breath and searched her eyes with a panicked look. “Pam,” his voice quaked, “there is so much I want to say and do right now. But listen to me: I still --- I never stopped --- you are --- oh God, I can't screw this up!"

He looked at his feet in concentration, then looked up and smiled broadly at her.  "You’re right, Karen is watching and I’m going to have to stop grinning like an idiot and go talk to her. It’s going to take a little while.  I'm going to hug you right now. Please promise you'll wait for me? Please?”

As they embraced, she whispered in his ear, “Yes, Jim. I promise. I love you. I’ll be waiting.”

Chapter End Notes:
First time, folks.  Just had to start with a super fluffy piece---this is just what I wanted to see.


Awimoweh is the author of 1 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans