- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Set on Casino Night.  A few of  Jim's thoughts that day.  I think the events are out of sequence with the episode, but I decided that just because the crew edited Pam's talking head in after the scene with the videos, doesn't mean that she didn't give that talking head earlier!
Maybe it's just meBut you seem finally happy.I don't think I've seen your face Just glow like a neon sign.

When Jim heard Pam doing her talking head, he stopped.  "I'm pretty happy lately," he heard her say.  "I'm getting married soon, and I'm getting along with everyone at work."  Jim sucked in a breath of hair.  It was painful--literally painful--for Jim to hear Pam talk about getting married.  When Pam married Roy, his chance to be happy, his only chance of maybe one day getting married, would die.

He was still standing there when Pam walked out of the conference room, and when she did, the pain stopped.  She was beaming, and Jim knew she was truly happy.  And maybe that had to be enough.

I can't live if you're not happyAnd I can't live if you cryBut I can live without youIf it makes you smile.

When he saw her looking at a box of wedding band demos, he clenched his jaw.  But he walked up and smiled and joked and watched the videos with her. If this is what she wants, he resolved, then I won't try to stop her.

I can't wait to see your eyesAnd I can't wait for you to shineBut I can wait for you if all you need is timeFor you to think things over.

When he saw her standing, face aglow with moonlight and joy, he forgot his resolution.  And when she rejected him--twice--he cried.  But he gritted his teeth again, because she didn't dney that she loved him.  And maybe all she needed was a little time. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Song: "Maybe It's Just Me" track 2 on Butch Walker's album "Letters" 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans