- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Originally posted 29 October, 2022

Soon enough, the Halpert family is gathered in the kitchen, just enjoying each other’s company.

“So, I’m not allowed to know?” Jim asks.

No, it’s a surprise!” Cece answers while she eats her snack.

“Am I allowed to guess?”

“Okay,” she allows.

“Is it… a new drawing?”

She giggles, “No.”

“Is it a tea party?”

“Nope.”

“Dad, leave her be,” Pam joins in while feeding Phil, “Let it be a surprise.”

“What, you scared that I’ll get it right?”

“Then it wouldn’t be much of a surprise, now wouldn’t it?”

“Exactly!” Cece grins.

He chuckles, “Alright, I’ll just wait.”

Afterwards, Pam moves Jim to the couch and Phil on his exercise saucer in the living room.  Pam comes back a few minutes later, walking awkwardly while holding a blanket in front of Cece.

“Need some help there?” he asks with a smirk.

“Shush, Halpert.”  The two ladies finally get into position.  “Gentlemen, I present… the Little Ladybug Ballerina!” Pam moves the blanket and reveals Cece in her ballerina outfit from a few days ago, wings and all.

Jim, knowing this was coming, is still just as elated.

“It was her idea,” Pam says before sitting next to him.  She mentally snapshots Jim’s bright smile.

“Here we go,” he says as she plugs her phone into a couple of speakers and hits play.

As Cece recreates the entire dance (including the Cece Shuffle) impeccably, Jim realizes that missing the recital was a good thing, because this is way better.


The entire weekend was filled with the same type of “family fun” activities Jim usually finds overly-sentimental and cheesy, but the fact that he’s with Pam and the kids is more than enough.

It’s Sunday night, and with the kids in bed, the young couple are already in PJs, her snuggled up against him and lying her head on his chest, with his arm around her.

“Best weekend ever?” she asks him.

“Definitely in the top five.”  They kiss yet again.

“You must be missing the bachelor life right now,” she says.

“Part of me does,” he admits, “but I really needed this weekend.  Plus, I don’t think Darryl would tolerate me as a roommate.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, he thinks I’m a slob.”

“Well…”

He rolls his eyes, “Not you, too.”

“Hey, I’m not the one who reuses cereal bowls.”

“I run water over them,” he defends himself.

“Yeah, that gets them clean.”

“It does!”

“You know what really gets them clean, Jim?  Soap.”

“Whatever you say, Beesly.”

Her face falls slightly, “I’m sorry I’ve been such a drama queen.”

“Hey, don’t apologize.  I needed a wake-up call.”

“You did, but I approached the situation all wrong.”

“We both did,” he kisses the top of her head, “We can only move forward from here.”

She nods.  “I know you haven’t given any thought about where you wanna work.”

“Actually, I have.”

“Really?”

“For a little bit.  I figured if Dunder Mifflin gave me any sort of new position, I could stick around, but maybe I could be a marketing consultant for BMI instead.  Or work for a local ad agency,” he’s curious, “Have you ever thought about life after Dunder Mifflin?”

“I really haven’t,” she admits, “I just love what we have here, and I don’t want to risk that.”

“I understand.”  He didn’t before, but he does now.

“But more than that, I want you to be happy, too,” she says, “I know I’ve said this before, but you won’t be a salesman forever.”

“You think so?”

She smiles, “I know so,” she kisses his cheek, “And look, if Dunder Mifflin offers you a great opportunity, don’t hesitate on my account.”

“Well, I promise you, we won’t move until you’re a hundred percent ready.”

Her smile widens, “Thank you.”

Jim sighs contently before he reaches over and turns off his bedside lamp.  They smile at each other as sleep overcomes them.

“I love you.”
“I love you.”


It’s already nine, and Jim finishes another call with one of his regulars when a familiar figure walks in.

Erin’s the first to greet him, “Hi David!”

“Hi Erin, is Jim available?”

“One moment.  Jim!” she gets his attention, “Are you available?”

Jim and Pam look at each other and back at her.  “…Yes,” he answers, like it wasn’t already obvious.

Erin smiles at David, “Yes, he is.”

David raises an eyebrow, “Thank you, Erin,” he walks over to him, “Jim.”

“Hey, David,” Jim smiles as he gets up to shake his hand… and is immediately beaten to the punch by Dwight.

“David!  Good to see you,” he greets.  Both Halperts have to keep from laughing.

David forces a smile as he returns his handshake, “Good to see you, Dwight,” he directs his attention back to Jim, “Conference room?”

“Um, sure,” Jim says.  Pam gives him a concerned look, and he just shrugs in response.

“Certainly,” Dwight tries to join in.  He follows the other two until Jim shoves him away and shuts the door in his face.

“Thank you for that,” David breathes a sigh of relief as he sits down.

“No problem,” Jim smiles as he relaxes in his seat.

“Look, I’ll just cut to the chase,” David starts, “Thanks to Scranton, sales have skyrocketed.  But we don’t want to get complacent.  That’s why we have a bottom-up hybrid marketing team in the works, run by in-house and agency professionals.  We’re still in the planning stages, but we want you to be at the forefront.”

Jim’s jaw drops, “Seriously?”

“Vice President of Advertising.”

Jim tries to take it all in, “I mean, this is a corporate role, David, wouldn’t my family and I have to move to New York?”

“I already accounted for that,” David reassures, “You can stay in Scranton and act as the corporate liaison to the branch.  Of course, you’ll have to travel to New York from time to time, but not for long.  And we’ll provide you all the amenities you need,” David finishes his pitch, “So?  What do you say?”

He’s worried.  He wants to include Pam in this decision, but this could be something great for them.  Sure, it’s not working with Doctor J, but it’s better than what he’s been doing the past decade.  Then he remembers what she told him the night before.

“And, look, if Dunder Mifflin offers you a great opportunity, don’t hesitate on my account.”

“I’ll do it.”

David smiles, “Excellent.  Welcome aboard.”

“Thank you,” Jim smiles back.

“I’ll be staying here for a few hours to help get you situated, but first, go ahead and let your coworkers know.”

“Um, certainly,” Jim’s not sure whether or not any of them will listen, or even care, but he decides to try, leaving the conference room.  Luckily, everyone’s in the bullpen, so no issues there.  “Hey, guys?  Can I have your attention?”

Nothing.

“…Hello?”

Dwight rolls his eyes at him and whistles loudly, getting everyone’s attention, “Jim, you have the floor!” Dwight announces.

“Thank you, Dwight.”  He nods in response.  “Well, as it turns out, I just got promoted.”

There was a collective gasp, as Dwight stands up, “Jim, if you make me Assistant Regional Manager, I promise you that I will be the most loyal and dedicated—”

“I’m not Regional Manager.”

“Oh, thank Christ,” Dwight sits back down.

Jim keeps from rolling his eyes, “Anyway, I’ll be working for a new marketing effort as Vice President of Advertising.”

Pam has a question, “And we won’t have to move?”

“Nope, I’ll be stationed right here in Scranton.  Barring the occasional trip to New York,” he turns his attention back to the rest of the office, “But yeah, that’s it.”  The rest just casually resume their work without giving him any congratulations.  Of course.  “Thanks, guys.”

As Jim returns to his desk, Pam looks at him with those bright eyes he can’t get enough of, “I’m so proud of you.”

He smiles at her, “Thank you.”  She smiles back as he resumes his work.  She then immediately makes reservations to a favorite restaurant of theirs to celebrate.

Chapter End Notes:

The final part will be the rest of S9 summarized.  Thanks to everyone who reviewed and gave jellybeans thus far!


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans