- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I promise something more substantial soon. For now, I seem to really like short five things fics and using roman numerals.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

I. A Kitchen Scene

Lips in firm lines. Eyes turning stone gray and not moving from doorways and floors. A few spoken words that go unheard. Her lips are parted and she stares at his shoulder while he talks. Her eyes are glass when he shakes his head slowly. He pours a cup of coffee and sets his mug on the counter. Things are still broken. But she’s pleading, apologizing, her hand reaching out to grab at his light blue sleeve to try and keep him there.


II. A Break Room Scene

Three sitting at a table with lunches spread out in front. Silence and chewing and legs crossed underneath. It’s three years of habit when he slides the second half of his sandwich over to her and takes her carrot sticks in exchange. She smiles, fully, and it looks like it’s been too long. Third parties watch and clear their throats, going unnoticed when they stand and walk out. Things are still trying to work. The skin of her forearm brushes against his sleeve and a laugh comes from somewhere deep within him.


III. A Desk Scene

Heads bent down and quiet whispers, words like air. He leans toward her and she leans toward him. Third parties left three nights ago after the inevitable demolition and her face is serious, flooded with sympathy for just a second before he says something that makes light spill all over her face. Things are being mended. His shirt is white, not blue, sleeves rolled up and her fingers absently rub circles just below his wrist.


IV. A Doorway Scene

Coats are pulled tightly around bodies at the end of the night, preparing for the cold that waits outside. Scarves and gloves and hats, winter started the night before. She stops him in the doorframe, leaning back against it, wide eyes looking up at him as he freezes there with parted lips, breath coming quicker than it should be because this is it. When she finally says it out loud, he simply takes a breath and pulls her into him. Things are finally put back together. He lets her go and tugs on her sleeve, his head nodding in the direction of anywhere but there.


V. A Parking Lot Scene

A hand grasping at another hand. Snow falling all around them. A loose grip, guiding the other through the parking lot. Cheeks red, noses red, lips red. They stop and she leans back against the door of his car. He’s brushing snow from her hair, trying not to smile too wide. She’s investigating their surroundings, eyes darting all around them. Just to be safe, to be sure. Things are still delicate. She leans forward and kisses him, her hands slipping up his coat sleeves for warmth.


unfold is the author of 102 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked Five Scenes in which Sleeves Play a Minor Role also liked 1515 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans