- Text Size +

She just wants to be alone, so she can cry, really cry, like she hasn’t since everything fell apart just as the summer and her life were about to begin. But she’s never found a way to be successfully alone.

She presses her fingers into her forehead, as if doing so will stop the warmth from pooling in the corners of her eyes, overflowing and spilling down her face. She can hear the small clicks of approaching shoes, and knowing who it is makes her cry even harder. There’s a beat of silence, and she sighs and doesn’t look up even as she hears the same person retreating.

 

She becomes lost in her own thoughts until a handful of tissues appear under her nose. She takes them and looks up at Angela standing before her; arms crossed with an unidentifiable look on her face. She takes her time wiping her eyes and blowing her nose before speaking.

 

“Thank you, Angela.” Her blond head gives a short nod, and Pam shifts, wishing she would leave. She doesn’t.

 

“Is it about…” she pauses, looking uncomfortable, “…Jim?” Without knowing why, Pam can feel herself nodding.

 

“Kind of.” She looks up as Angela makes a face, tightening her mouth.

 

“I heard Karen,” she says the name like its road kill, “say something about moving in. With Jim. She talks too loud.” Pam blows her nose again, the loud burst causing Angela to jump.

 

“They’re not moving in together.” She can hear the defensive tone in her voice. Angela sighs, crosses her arms more tightly.

 

“I know that you have some…experience in living with a man. In sin.”

 

“I was engaged to Roy.”

 

“Engaged is not married,” a slight smile plays across her lips. “Though I can understand why you might have ignored that, and given into lustful thoughts.”

 

“Um, thanks?” Angela still looms over her. When she finally speaks again, it sounds fast.

 

“Don’t let those two heathens get to you.” Pam looks up, and for a moment almost wants to hug her.

 

“Thank you.” Angela turns to leave, then pauses, leans forward. Everything about her is normally harsh, hard; now, she looks nearly soft.

 

“I know that love can be…unforgiving sometimes.” She reaches out and pats Pam once, on the shoulder. Stunned for a moment, Pam can only watch her go. Gathering herself, she blows her nose one more, and walks toward the bathroom. She needs to splash some water on her face.

 

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans