- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I wrote this in response to the Pam's Mom challenge. Hope you like it.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 



Jim pulled up to the Days Inn to drop Karen off after work for what she hoped would soon be the last time. He pulled up in front of her room and turned toward her.

“You want to come in for a while? Get some dinner?” Karen asked. Jim looked at his watch.

“Actually, I can’t tonight. I have an errand I have to run.” Jim said. Karen looked at him skeptically.

“Secret rendezvous?” She asked.

“Yeah, I’m meeting Dwight at the gay bar on 5th. It’s Village People night.” He replied.

Karen laughed. “Fine. Don’t tell me. I see how it is.” She replied with a sarcastic note of annoyance in her voice.

“Wow! A little paranoid are we? You want the truth? Fine! Here it is. I have to go buy new underwear tonight.” He said.

Karen laughed again then noticed that Jim’s expression was completely sincere.

“Seriously?” She asked.

Jim nodded. “I am wearing the last pair of boxers I own that don’t have holes in them so, yeah, I’m buying underwear.”

Karen couldn’t stop laughing. “Okay, I believe you. Do you want me to come with you?”

“No thanks. I don’t mind you moving in on my street, but helping pick out my undies is just a little too close for comfort yet.”

Jim smiled leaning over to kiss Karen goodnight.

“Alright, call me tonight then. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Karen returned Jim’s kiss before walking to her room. He waited until she had the lights on and waved to him from the door before driving away.

***

The mall was surprisingly busy for a Wednesday night after the holidays. Jim weaved through the crowds and made his way toward the first major department store he could find. He ducked into the JC Penny and was making his way toward the men’s department when he saw a familiar face. He wasn’t sure it was her; he had only met her once. But, when she smiled at the woman behind the counter, the smile was undeniably familiar. So much like Pam’s, he thought as he made his way over to her.

“Mrs. Beesley?” He asked coming up behind her as Pam’s mom put her wallet back in her purse. She turned around.

“Jim!” She exclaimed, instantly recognizing him. “My goodness, how are you?”

“I’m great, thanks Mrs. Beesley. Wow, this is a surprise. Pam didn’t say you were coming into town.” Jim replied.

“Please, call me Emily. And actually it was rather short notice. She called me this afternoon and sounded a little down so I thought I’d come and visit with her for a few days.”

Jim was surprised by the news that Pam was down. She seemed fine when she was talking to him in the break room that day, even encouraging about the idea of Karen moving onto the same block as him. He hadn’t seen much of her the rest of day or during Michael’s ridiculous Luau. The one time he had though, she was laughing with Roy, a fact that made his stomach lurch even though he told himself it didn’t matter.

“Oh, that was really nice of you.” Jim stated a little awkwardly, wondering the reason why Pam was upset, wondering if it had anything to do with him.

Emily smiled.

“Um, so, are you going over to Pam’s now?” Jim asked after a pause.

“No, not right away. Pam has an art class tonight until nine. She was going to skip it but I told her absolutely not. I’m just here killing time. I bought Pam a new sweater, see.” Emily pulled a pretty pink chenille sweater out of her bag. Jim could
easily picture Pam wearing it. Her mom obviously knew Pam’s understatedly beautiful style.

“That’s really nice.” Jim stated. He looked around awkwardly again. He really liked Emily but he also knew that she was probably the only other person on the face of the earth who knew what happened between Jim and Pam on Casino Night. He wondered what she thought of him, he wondered if she blamed him for breaking up Roy and Pam, he wondered if she was thinking up ways to get Pam and Roy back together.

These thoughts were swimming through Jim’s mind when Emily suddenly said,
“I haven’t had dinner yet, have you?”

“No. I came here straight from work actually.” Jim replied, a little startled as he was plucked out of his mire.

“Well, would you like to have some dinner with me?” Emily asked, her bright smile lighting up her face again.

Jim hesitated for a moment. Was this a good idea? He figured it would be rude to refuse though. What would he say, he couldn’t because he was buying underwear?

“That would be great!” Jim replied, abandoning his quest for new boxers.

“Well, you know what’s good around here so why don’t you pick the restaurant.” Emily said affectionately hooking her arm through his. He felt a small tug at his heart. He had once seen Emily do the same thing with Roy and secretly wished it were him. Now, here he was.

They settled on a good Italian place that was a block from the mall. It was small and quaint and practically empty that night. hey sat down and made small talk as they perused the menu and ordered dinner. When the waiter had taken their orders and walked away, Emily smiled at Jim.

“So, Pam tells me you’ve been promoted.” She said cheerfully. A look of surprise crossed Jim’s face. Pam was still talking to her about him?

“Um, yeah. Yeah, assistant regional manager.” Jim replied.

“Well congratulations. That’s really great.” Emily said taking a sip of wine.

“Thanks.”

Another awkward silence fell. Jim had the feeling that Emily was trying to tell him something but just couldn’t. It was the same look he’d seen on Pam’s face a thousand times when she was conflicted about something.

“I guess you know that Pam’s taking art classes.” Jim started stupidly. Of course Emily would know that.

“Yes, I’m very proud of her! I’ve been wanting her to get back into art for years but Roy always seemed to discourage it. He just…” Emily stopped abruptly and flushed a pale shade of pink. Well, you know.” She said dismissively.

“What?” Jim asked.

Emily hesitated. She took another sip of wine and looked Jim in the eyes.

“I loved Roy like a son. He was funny, he had a good job, and he truly loved Pam.” She paused and took a breath. “But, to be completely honest, he and Pam just weren’t right for each other. I never thought so. I really believed they would break up after high school. Pam was so talented I was sure her love of art would supersede her love of the high school quarterback. But Pam was so much in love and so innocent. She really thought that she and Roy would get married right after high school, that he would get a great job and that they’d have three kids and a house with a terrace and a white picket fence by now. She thought that’s what he wanted too. To tell you the truth, I don’t think he really knew what he wanted until it was too late." She paused and took another sip of wine. When she continued, there was a hint of bitterness in her voice.

"Pam’s been telling me that Roy has been treating her better than he has in years lately, that he’s doing everything she wanted him to do before they broke up. I just wish he had treated her like this before… before it was too late.” Emily stopped. She looked relieved, as if finally being allowed to say those things lifted a heavy burden from her chest. Jim just looked at her in awe.

The food arrived and Emily picked up her fork and took a bite of food. Jim’s stomach was in knots. A question loomed in his mind, a question he needed to ask but was afraid to because of what her answer might be. He had to know, though. He had to know before he decided to move forward once and for all with Karen, before he decided to give up any thought of him and Pam together, before he decided to never look back. Jim swallowed hard and looked at Emily.

“Why is it too late?” He asked, his voice shaking.

Emily looked straight into Jim’s eyes, a trustworthiness in them that told him he could believe whatever she said.

“Because she’s in love with someone else. Someone who is much better for her than Roy ever was or ever could be.” Emily responded, never taking her eyes off of Jim.

Jim felt his heart skip a beat. He had no voice to ask the next question, the question that Emily was anticipating.

“Jim, do you know what she said to me the night you told her you loved her?” She asked, putting down her fork and placing her hands in her lap. Jim shook his head. “I asked her if she was in love with you too. Do you know what she said?” Jim shook his head again, even though he did know. He had heard her on the phone.

“She said she thought she was. I know my Pam, Jim. I know she wouldn’t have said those words to me if she didn’t feel that way. And I know that those feeling are still there, even more pronounced than before. I know that even though she wants nothing more than to see you happy, it kills her that you have moved on to someone else. That’s why she called me today. She told me about the conversation she had with you about your girlfriend moving onto your street. She encouraged it only because she loves you so much and doesn’t want to see you conflicted and hurting. But, at the same time, she realized that you are slipping further and further away from her and it tears her up inside.” Emily’s eyes welled with tears which she quickly blinked away.

Jim sat there silently, Emily’s revelation racing through his mind. He didn’t know what to say.

“I guess the question then,” Emily continued, regaining her composure. “Is do you still love Pam?”

This was the question Jim had been waiting for. He knew the answer. He knew it was the same as it was long before Casino Night and long after he left Scranton. He knew it had never changed, not even when he started dating Karen in a desperate attempt to deny what he truly felt.

Jim looked into Emily’s eyes, his own filled with tears, and nodded.

***

Pam and her mom were cuddled up together on the sofa in Pam’s apartment watching Legends of the Fall and drinking hot cocoa.

It was about ten-thirty at night. Pam was planning on calling in sick for work the next day. She wasn’t up to having another long, emotional conversation with her mom that night but she knew she needed to get everything off her chest. She was planning on taking her mom out “therapy shopping” with her the next day and then letting herself unload.

Emily had not told Pam about her dinner with Jim. Even though Jim had admitted to her that he still loved Pam, “more than anyone I ever have,” he had said, she didn’t think it was her place to say anything. Jim had left dinner with the promise that he would talk to Pam but that he needed to figure some “things” out first.

It was nearly eleven o’clock when a quiet knock on Pam’s door startled them both out staring at Brad Pitt’s beautiful rear end.

“What the hell? Who can be here at this hour?” Pam asked rising from her sofa. Emily’s heart skipped a beat. She was hoping she knew who was on the other side of the door.

Pam peeked through the peep hole.

“It’s Jim!” She exclaimed, opening the door.

Jim was standing there, looking tired and confused. Pam wasn’t sure, but it looked like he’d been crying.

“Jim, come in. Are you okay?” Pam asked with concern.

“Yeah.” Jim paused and said hello to Emily. She smiled at him as he turned back to Pam. “Um, I know it’s really late but, do you want to take a drive with me? I kind of need to talk to you.” He said, his voice low and gruff.

“Uh, sure.” Pam responded, thoroughly confused. “Let me just put my shoes on. Do I need to change?” Pam was wearing an old high school sweatshirt and her most comfortable (and ratty) pair of sweat pants. Jim shook his head, assuring her they weren’t going anywhere with a dress code. Pam quickly threw on her sneakers and looked at her mom.

“Are you going to be okay?” Pam asked her.

“Of course honey, you go ahead. It’s past my bedtime anyway.” Emily encouraged. She smiled a knowing smile at Jim and he returned it, a gesture that didn’t escape Pam’s notice.

As she slipped out of the apartment behind Jim, Pam turned back and gave her mom a “what’s going on” look. Emily responded with a simple wink and turned her attention back to the television as Pam closed the door.

***

Emily pulled an afghan around her shoulders and laid back on the sofa thinking about Pam and Jim. She smiled to herself. For the first time since her daughter had started noticing boys and dating, she actually hoped that Pam would not come home that night.

Emily was overjoyed when she didn’t.

 

The End



Kittykat47 is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked The confession of Mrs. Beesley also liked 2621 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans