~Voting for Reader's Choice is open now through November 12th! Click here for more details~
This month, MoreThanThat is holding a Halloween writing competition. We are asking writers to submit their Halloween themed stories to MTT during the month of October. Then at the start of November, we will have a vote for the Reader's Choice and Moderator's Choice. In addition to internet praise and jellybeans, these two winners will also receive prizes for realsies!
What kind of stories can I enter?
- Your story should be at least 500 words long
- Your story should be new and never published
- Multi-chapter is ok but it needs to be completed and submitted by 11:59pm PDT on October 31
- Any genre and rating is allowed and can feature any Office character, it only needs to be Halloween themed. (though fair warning, we mods do love our JAM)
- And all stories should adhere to the regular MTT submission guidelines .
How Do I Enter My Story?
- If you don't already have an account on the MTT fanfic archive, sign up for one .
- Log in, go to My Account > Add New Story and submit your story. We ask that you state your entry is for the 2018 Halloween competition in the story summary to make sure it's categorized appropriately
- If you are a new writer, your story will be held for a quick review to make sure formatting is okay, as long as there are no major issues you should see your story published shortly.
- Once approved and published, a mod will add the entry to the Halloween 2018 Challenge.
The two winners will receive:
- One Office-themed enamel pin
- A photographic print of the winner's choice from our mod Ladama's RedBubble shop
- plus a special banner on their stories!
In addition, all participants will get a Jim/Pam card or sticker of their choice featuring Ladama's work and a participant banner on their entries.
*MoreThanThat reserves the right to modify prizes depending on response and interest
Are there guidelines for reviewing the contest entries?
Contest entries will be published and viewable to everyone as authors submit them, therefore readers *can* add reviews and leave jellybeans and we want readers to feel free to do so. However readers should not leave overly biased or campaign-like reviews on contest entries.
Kinds of Language that's fine on the contest entries:
- I really enjoyed this story!
- You're a great author!
- I liked how you did [x.y.z]
- If I could suggest anything it would be [kind, constructive criticism]
Bias/Campaigning Language that will be modified or deleted:
- This is hands down the BEST contest entry
- You have my vote for best entry, no question!
- Everyone better vote for you! If you don't win, something's wrong!
- This entry sucks but people are going to vote for it anyway (<---stuff like this we would consider harassing and would take disciplinary action against the member)
How will the winners be selected?
– We will have two winners, a reader’s choice and a moderator’s choice. Reader’s choice will be decided by a vote from registered readers (full voting details and voting forms will be posted on November 1), while the mods will deliberate among themselves on their choice.
Can I win both the Reader’s Choice and the Moderator’s Choice?
– Two different stories by two different writers will be selected.
Can I submit more than one story?
– You certainly can, but know that we are asking people to select their favorite story, not favorite writer, so you may end up splitting your own vote. Also an author can only win one prize, they cannot win both the Reader’s and Mod’s choices.
How "Halloweeny" does the story need to be?
– As little or as much as you want, Halloween or Halloween elements just needs to be worked in in some way. It can be an AU with some supernatural themes, it can be a full on suspense, or it can be just a regular day that happens to be Halloween (i.e. the Season 2 Halloween episode).
I have an old story that could fit this contest, can I submit that story?
– Stories should be new and never published to MTT or other fanfic sites.
My story is not quite 500 words long
– The 500 word minimum is more a guideline than a firm rule, what we most want from entries is for them to be well-written, so if they don’t quite clear the 500 word threshold, that’s okay, submit it anyway!
Is there a maximum word count limit on entries?
– We don't have a max word count, we want you to do your thing! That said, entries do need to be complete and submitted by the end of the month and when voting comes around we want our readers to be able to easily read all the entries to make an informed decision, so we suggest thinking more one-shot than novel.
Do I have to share my address with you to receive prizes?
– Yes, winners will need to provide an address for prizes to be sent to, and participants interested in receiving their small gift will also provide an address. We will not save addresses or use it for anything besides sending prizes.
Will you be able to send prizes to my country?
– This contest is open to any writer anywhere in the world and we are prepared to send prizes to a variety of countries. But if we are unable or if shipping is cost-prohibitive we will work with winners to find an equivalent arrangement.
- If you still have questions, please contact us via the contact form, or email us at MTT.firstname.lastname@example.org
--Admin Team on September 30, 2018 09:12 pm 2 Comments