It is our birthday.
If you can believe it, July 9th marks MTT's 11th birthday! An all new MTT admin team took over last year with the goal of bringing the site up to date, adding some new features and get activity going again. And with new themes, the Download ePub feature, our Valentine's day contest, new social media accounts, and the just-launched jellybean system, we think 2016-17 was a success!
Of course, today being our birthday also means that MTT's annual hosting bill is due this month. So if you would like to give us something, you can give the awesome gift of a contribution to the site! A contribution of $10+ will earn you a small JAM gift, but every dollar is sincerely appreciated! You can read the full details of our annual funraiser here.
If you can't give monetarily but still want to make a contribution, you can do so by submitting new stories, leaving reviews and jellybeans, following and liking our social media, interacting with fellow fans, making recommendation to friends, etc. Anything to keep MTT the great place for PB&J and Office fans that it is is your gift to us every day!
Now onto our next year!
--MTT Admin Team on July 09, 2017 08:35 pm 0 Comments
For 11 years the archive has used star ratings. It's simple in theory, give a story a rating of 1 to 5 stars, but in practice it really hasn't been that useful. One author may feel 3 stars is a solid rating, another may feel it's an insult. One reader may reserve 5 stars for only their absolute favorites, another may give 5 stars to everything they review. One story may only have one 5-star rating, another may have 20, and they are listed the same.
So today we bid farewell to the star rating system and say hello to something we think will be more straight forward and useful: jellybeans! Much like a "like" or a "kudos", readers can leave a jellybean as a small token on stories they enjoyed.
After deciding to switch to jellybeans, the next conundrum of course was deciding how beans will be distributed. If a user is allowed to only leave one per story, the newer stories have no chance of catching up with older ones. If one per chapter is allowed then that puts one-shots and short stories at a disadvantage. Taking all this into consideration, we have decided that users can leave up to 5 jellybeans on a story. So if you like a story, give it a jellybean, if you really like it, give it a couple more, if you absolutely love it, take the time to give it 5!
Though we always want to encourage reviews, you can leave jellybeans without reviewing. You can click on the jellybean count of a story to see who has left jellybeans. Hopefully this goes without saying but there should be no fighting, begging or complaining about the jellybeans. It's meant to be a simple way for readers to give and writer to receive feedback.
We now return you to your reading, don't forget to start leaving those jellybean!
--Admin Team on July 07, 2017 01:55 am 0 Comments
MTT Forum Relaunch!
In our recent survey, many members expressed a desire for way to interact with each other beyond reviews and such. Though we had set up a community of sorts on the blog the consensus seemed to be it was cumbersome and difficult to navigate. We agree as so we're heading a back to basics and relauching the MTT forums. They have a more traditional forum look but should be easier to get around and highly mobile friendly!
Right now, registration is by invite only and we prefer if you already registered here on the archives. If you'd like to join please let us know through the contact form or in an email to MTT.firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are one of the couple dozen people who registered on the previous community you are already registered and your email/username and password for login should be the same!
If I'm registered on the archive, why do I have to register on the forum too?
They are two different software systems and sadly we don't have the technical know-how to link them. But you should be able to pick your name username and even same password if you'd like.
Come join us today!
--Admin Team on June 04, 2017 04:06 pm 0 Comments
Beta Reader Program Relaunched!
We have officially rebooted our Beta Reader system at MTT!
You can read all about it on this page, but here is the general gist:
To become a beta:
To find a beta:
- You can see who is listed as Beta Reader on the archive, click on profile, read their beta-reader form and see if anyone is a good fit for your story.
- If they seem like a good fit, contact them via the “contact author” link on the MTT archive (or however they listed that they prefer to be contacted)
- You can also state in the notes of your stories that you are looking for a beta, this will often attract reader who are willing to look things over.
Some Ground Rules for Betas and Authors
- If you contact a beta reader for your story and they say (politely) that they cannot be your beta, accept it and move on, likewise for betas who reach out to authors that say no thanks.
- Make it very clear what you expect from the beta process! The more details you share with each other before you start, the better the beta process will go.
That’s enough for now, as mentioned before, you can read the full beta page. Comments can be directed to the Find a Beta thread , through the contact form or in an email to MTT.Fanfic@gmail.com
--Admin Team on May 16, 2017 12:59 am 0 Comments
Valentine's Day Writing Contest Winners!
Thank you once again to everyone who participated in our Valentine's Day Fanfic Writing Contest!
We had a great response both from writers and readers and now it's time to announce the winners!
Readers' Choice: Out of the Fog by Kat11
Moderators' Choice: Blue Valentine by shutterbug
Every participant should have received an email detailing how to get their prizes (both for participating and for winning). If you did not, please email us at MTT.Fanfic@gmail.com
Also thank you to the voters who left feedback! We have some ideas on how to improved future contest and what kind of events you would like to see!
--Admin Team on March 23, 2017 04:30 pm 3 Comments
Valentine's Day Contest: Voting Time!
~Thank you for your votes! Look for the formal announcement of the winners very shortly!~
Thanks all the writers who submitted to our first Valentine's Day Writing Contest, now it's time to decide a winner!
We have six entries which you can find here: Valentine's Day 2017. They're mostly pretty short so we request you read all the entries before making your decision. Once you have decided on your favorite, please vote here. Voting is open until Sunday March 19th, 11:59pm PDT
What to know before voting:
- Make sure you are registered on the archive, votes from non-members will not be counted
- Every member gets ONE vote, no double registering to cast multiple votes!
- If you are one the writers, you may vote but no voting for yourself
- The Readers and Mods choices will be announced the week of March 20th
Some additional things
* On the voting form, we ask you to match your favorite entries with it's simple story summary. The 6 stories are all pretty unique so if you read the story, you should know which is which. Vote that don't match the story with the correct summary won't count.
* The voting form has an optional contest feedback form, and we would really like to hear your thoughts on this contest and potential future contests!
* The Mods' Choice will be determined by MTTs three mods, and the Readers Choice and Mods choice will be different entries.
* We will be in contact with the authors via email about the participation gift and the prizes for the 2 winners.
* Any questions, concerns, comments can be directed to MTT.email@example.com
Thank you and Happy Reading!
--Admin Team on March 09, 2017 03:43 pm 0 Comments
Valentine's Day Writing Contest!
~Voting Open Until the end of March 19th, click hear for more info!~
Calling all writers!
This year MoreThanThat is holding a Valentine's Day writing competition. We are asking writers to submit their Valentine's Day related stories to MTT during the month of February. Then the first week of March, we will have a vote for the Reader's Choice and Moderator's Choice. In addition to internet praise and kudos, these two winners will also receive prizes for realsies!
What kind of stories can I enter?
- Your story should be at least 500 words long.
- Your story should be new and never published
- Multi-chapter is ok but it needs to be completed by the morning of March 8th, 2017 (<-- new deadline!)
- Any genre, rating and pairing is fine as long as the story is Valentine's Day themed. (though fair warning, we mods do love our JAM ;-) )
- And all stories should adhere to the regular MTT submission guidelines.
How Do I Enter My Story?
- If you don't already have an account on the MTT fanfic archive, sign up for one .
- Log in, go to My Account > Add New Story and submit your story. We ask that you include your entry is for the 2017 Valentine's Day competition in the story summary to make sure it's categorized appropriately
- If you are a new writer, your story will be held for a quick review to make sure formatting is okay, as long as there are no major issues you should see your story published shortly.
- Once approved, a mod will add the entry to the Valentine's Day 2017 Challenge .
What do the winners and participants get?*
The two winners will receive:
- One season of The Office on DVD (winner's choice of season)
- A photographic print of the winner's choice from our mod Ladama's RedBubble shop .
In addition, all participants will get a Jim/Pam card or sticker of their choice featuring Ladama's work.
*MoreThanThat reserves the right to modify prizes depending on response and interest
How will the winners be selected?
– We will have two winners, a reader’s choice and a moderator’s choice. More details are forthcoming but the Reader’s choice will be decided by a vote from registered readers, while the mods will deliberate amongst themselves on their choice.
Can I win both the Reader’s Choice and the Moderator’s Choice?
– Two different stories by two different writers will be selected.
Can I submit more than one story?
– You certainly can, but know that we are asking people to select their favorite story, not favorite writer, so you may end up splitting your own vote. Also an author can only win one prize, they cannot win both the Reader’s and Mod’s choices.
I have an old story that fits this contest, can I submit that story?
– Stories should be new and never published to MTT or other fanfic sites.
My story is not quite 500 words long
– The 500 word minimum is more a guideline than a firm rule, what we most want from entries is for them to be well-written, so if they don’t clear the 500 word threshold, that’s okay, submit it anyway!
Do I have to share my address with you to receive prizes?
– Short answer is yes, winners will need to provide an address that Amazon and Redbubble can deliver to, and participants will need to provide an address we can send a USPS letter to. We will not save address or use it for anything besides sending prizes.
Will you be able to send prizes to my country?
– This contest is open to any writer anywhere in the world and we are prepared to send prizes to a variety of countries. But if we are unable or if shipping is cost-prohibitive we will work with winners to find an equivalent arrangement.
- If you still have questions, please contact us via the contact form, the forum post , or emailing us at MTT.firstname.lastname@example.org
Also you can help us our by helping us promote! Send your writer friends to mttjustonce.net and/or share this graphic on your social media!
--Admin Team on February 01, 2017 11:59 pm 1 Comments
December AotM and Holiday Theme!
Hello everyone! The Holidays are upon us and to commemorate we have changed our default theme to Teapot Holiday. This theme is a throwback to the the classic "Christmas Party" episode with the teal teapot of love (and Jim's secret card). It's a little funky on mobile, so you may want to go to a more familiar theme the skin change drop down is in the top below the menu or at the bottom.
Also, this months Author of the Month has a wide variety of fics for you to enjoy all month. PuffingNoise. You can click here for more info and all past AOTM.
Check out the main page soon for more Christmas themes posts including fic recs and a ranking of the Office Holiday episodes!
--Admin Team on December 17, 2016 05:09 pm 0 Comments
November AotM and Nanowrimo!
It's a new month which means a new Author of the Month. November's AotM is Peskipiksi who has written 8 stories for MTT and returned after many years with a new story back in May! You can learn more about the Author of the Month series at our new message boards.
Also it's November which means Nanowrimo is underway! If you're taking part this year, come join us on the message boards ! You can also go to the Nano boards and talk Office or just say hey to other MTTers. One of our mods is *hoping* to write a JAM story for Nanowrimo and plans on posting their progress so make sure to check back soon!
--Admin Team on November 03, 2016 12:33 pm 0 Comments
October AotM, Nanowrimo, and Other Updates
Happy October! We have a few fun updates and other things to announce just in time for spooky season!
Our October Author of the Month is Deedldee, who has written 21 stories for MTT. You can learn more about the Author of the Month series at our new message board.
For many writers, this month also means gearing up for Nanowrimo in November! If you are an MTTer taking part in the 30 day novel writing challenge, come post on the new forums and let's make a little MTT Nano group!
We are always striving to make improvements and add features to the archive. This month we have launched a Save as EPUB feature, which lets you save any story to your favorite eReader to be read whenever! We are also working on adding better ways to navigate the archive with some new Sort features. Now when you browse, you can order stories by word count, read count, review count and published date.
That's about it for our September report! Don't forget to leave reviews on any stories you like (writers love reviews!) or to check out our new forums .
--Admin Team on October 03, 2016 12:28 am 0 Comments