- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Well, I know there's a reason to change.

Well, I know there's a time for us.

You think about the good times,

And you live with all the bad.

You can feel it in the air,

Feeling right this time of year.

Better Than Ezra, This Time of Year

 

For a little while, it's like it used to be.

 

He's there with you.

 

You know he is.

 

And it's all making you a little giddy because he's at your desk and by your side and it feels like everyone in the office is rallying around the two of you, making this happen.

 

Kevin spouts off about the hours Jim spent at your desk for years and you duck your head to keep from smiling. You figure it's hard enough for him, with Karen standing there. You shouldn't make it worse.

 

Not that you could... anymore.

 

(You drown yourself in reality every now and then, so it won't ache as much tomorrow.)

 

But it doesn't work because Jim's in strategy mode. You've always loved it when he gets excited and you bite your lip, thinking how much you've missed it...

 

"Beesley, you work distraction while I pull the switch."

 

You nod, bounce a little on the balls of your feet.

 

I don't know how the whole betting thing started, but it's fun.

 

Creed takes a bite and you all - well almost all (reality is there, in a black suit with flawless skin) - collapse into laughter, and you think someone, somewhere, is betting on you.

 

You follow Dwight outside and are genuinely, pleasantly, surprised when Jim stops beside you. You hope he doesn't notice how you glance his way, wondering...

 

But you sort of don't care if he does... is wondering.

 

Let him.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans