- Text Size +

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

So fall in love while you can,

Still hold your head up high,

And pretend that you're alive... again.

Lovedrug, Pretend You're Alive

 

Aside from the near death experience, it had been a good day.

 

In the wake of several strained weeks, Beach Day had worked wonders between him and Karen. They were laughing, talking... hanging out like they used to - no conversations (whatever happened at the mall with Michael had led to more), no angst.

 

Things were progressing.

 

Like the job opportunity at corporate.

 

It came unexpectedly, but the idea of leaving Scranton seemed like a good thing. He didn't dwell on it, think why he still needed a fresh start - he just knew he did. Plus, it was a great career move... not that he'd ever cared about that before... but Karen was right, new place, new outlook, new chances... for both of them.

 

He glanced toward the edge of the water and saw Pam staring into the distance. She looked infinite there, everything washed out in front of her.

 

And he fought to swallow over the ache in his chest.

 

He hated this place they were now - somewhere in the middle of nothing - but it was his only chance for survival. He wondered what she thought of him... if she did. He'd watched her today, set off to the side, forced out of the way, and he'd seen the sadness in her eyes, felt guilty for not taking it away.

 

But he couldn't do that anymore...

 

He felt a hand on his shoulder, warm and real... there...

 

Karen.

 

"Hey," he smiled as they took a seat in the sand.

 

She grinned, handed him the phone, "So, let's make the call."


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans