- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks for everything you guys including this story.

Chapter title taken from Cat Power's "Could We."

    Pam had reverted to her old habit of dealing with nerves: cleaning everything in sight.  She imagined how Jim had reacted with every surface she dusted, every cushion she straightened.  Each time she saw it differently.   One time, he was elated and called her up right away to declare his love.  The next, he was furious with her for trying to come between him and Karen.  She guessed that she would just have to wait until tomorrow to see just what he thought.  She hoped against hope for a forward step in the right direction or just something to let her know that it would all be okay.

            She was in the midst of swiffering her kitchen when she heard a knock at the door.  She nervously set down the handle against the table and walked to the door.  Jim stood there quietly as she opened the door. Before she could say anything, he walked in and took a seat on her sofa.

            “Jim?”  She followed him into the living room and just stared at him leaning against the cushions, arms crossed in an angry fashion.

            “Are you serious about what you wrote?”

            “Um.”  Pam wasn’t sure if this was a trick question or not.  For once, she couldn’t read his expression, and it sort of scared her.  “Yes.  Completely serious.”

            “So, you really love me back?”

            “Yeah.  Jim, are you okay?”

            “Pam, you don’t get to ask questions yet.  It’s my turn.”  He stared at her intently.  “So, you loved me since you met me?”

            “Uh, yeah.  I guess you could say that.”  His rapid-fire questions and steely facial expression made her think that this was a horrible mistake.  She should have never given him that card.  She hung her head, unable to look at him anymore, and she felt her eyes start to well up with tears.

            “Pam,” Jim said.  “Kelly Clarkson?  Really?”

            At this, he smiled and stood up, reaching out to pull her in for a hug.

            “Oh my- Jim!  You’re such a jerk.”  She pressed herself tightly to his lanky frame, wanting to know that this was for real.

            “But you love this jerk.  Or so you say…”

            “I do.  Really really.”

            “Good.”

            Then Jim’s eyes twinkled brightly, and he brushed a stray curl out of Pam’s face.

            “God, you’re so beautiful.”

            “Even though I’m dusty and scruffy?”

            “Especially because you’re dusty and scruffy.”  And with that, Jim cupped her face in his hands and tenderly kissed her lips.  “Happy early Valentine’s day, Beesly.”

            She just kissed him again and thought that she should have tried this whole mixtape business a long time ago.



somuchmore is the author of 5 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Love and Some Verses also liked 1863 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans