- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

One of my favorite chapters! I love it! I cant believe I wrote....ha!

So, my BETA is out of town for a few weeks and I won't be able to update as frequently from now on. There will be one more chapter in a few days but after that it might be a while. If someone wants to BETA let me know. I have already asked someone but you can email me at beckafunk1888@aim.com if you are interested in helping me out!

Thanks! Enjoy it as much as I do!

A few weeks after their trip, Jim and Pam set a date for their big dinner. Pam had decided to have it at her home and Jim would come over and help prepare the meal. He got off work and rushed to her house to help.

“Are you ready for tonight?” Jim asked.

“I think. Are you?” Pam replied as she wiped a dish dry.

“Yeah. This is going to be a piece of cake.”

“Good to know that you’re so confident.”

“Don’t worry about anything. My parents will love you and Scarlet. I guarantee it,” he said, pulling her into an embrace.

“I hope you’re right. Now, I need to get Scarlet around before they show up. I’ll be back down to finish up.”

“Okay.”

As Pam rushed off to get Scarlet dressed, Jim leaned against the kitchen counter and stared at the artwork hanging on Pam’s refrigerator. Just like the pictures on his fridge, Scarlet had decorated Pam’s too. There was a picture of Lindie, the poor departed cat, and then several pictures of Scarlet’s take on Jim. He laughed when he noticed how tall she had portrayed him. He was the length of the page and her and Pam were very little compared to him.

Jim tidied up the kitchen and finished cooking most of the meal. While he waited for the oven timer to go off, he looked through his briefcase and placed a manila folder on top. He had originally planned on giving Pam the papers after they married, but since he got news that the process takes longer than he thought, he had decided to give them to her tonight. It would give her plenty of time to consider the proposition in the folder.

Pam came down the stairs with Scarlet trailing behind her. Scarlet had her hair in curls and was wearing a pink dress. Pam had put on a simple skirt and top. Jim could smell her perfume when she stepped into the kitchen.

“It smells delicious in here!” she said in a sing song voice.

Jim laughed and turned pull the rolls out of the oven. Pam leaned over him to examine the bread.

“What?” he asked.

“I was just making sure you didn’t ruin the dinner.”

“How dare you. Are you insulting my cooking?”

“No. Just seeing if you are as good as cook as you made yourself out to be,” she said with a giggle. The doorbell rang and Pam jumped at the noise. Her face suddenly fell and she went into panic mode.

“They’re here, Jim. What do I do?”

Jim grabbed her arms. “Don’t freak. That’s the first thing you need to do. Then, go answer the door.”

“You have to come with me.”

“Okay. Let’s do this,” he said as he grabbed her hand.

“Come here, Scarlet,” Pam said as she pulled her towards the door. Jim reached out and grabbed the doorknob. They opened it to find Pam’s parents standing there smiling.

“Hi Mom. Hi Dad,” Pam said, kissing them each on the cheek.

“Nice to meet you Mr. Beesly,” Jim said as they shook hands.

“Nice to meet you, Jim. I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Come on in.”

Pam’s parents automatically turned their attention to Scarlet and took their time giving her adoration. As they focused on her, Jim and Pam held on tight to each others hand and waited for them to move into the living room. Once they were seated and still making Scarlet giggle over tickling, the door bell rang again and Jim jumped up to answer it. Pam followed him to the door.

“Hey, good to see you!” Jim said with his arms wide open.

“Hey Jimmy!” his mother squealed as she hugged him.

Jim’s father gave him a handshake and then pulled him into an embrace. “Son, it’s good to see you.”

“You too, Dad. Hey, I would like you to meet Pam,” Jim said as he pulled Pam over to his folks.

“Nice to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Halpert,” she said, shaking their hands.

“Please, Larissa and David. So you are the girl that my son is head over heels for.” Larissa said.

“I guess that’s me.”

Jim walked over to where Scarlet was staring in their direction and motioned her over to meet his parents. He picked her up in his arms before introducing her. “Now, this is Scarlet. She is Pam’s daughter and the cutest kid on the earth.”

“Nice to meet you, Scarlet,” Larissa said, shaking her little hand.

“Let’s get to eating and then we can make some more introductions,” Jim insisted.

----

During dinner, The Beesly’s and the Halpert’s made conversation that seemed to be a good sign for Jim and Pam. Jim’s parents were infatuated with Scarlet and her antics and the Beesly’s seemed to get along with Jim’s family.

Finally, Jim squeezed tight onto Pam’s hand and cleared his throat.

“It’s so good to have you all together tonight. The reason we asked you all to come was because Pam and I wanted to announce that we have decided to get married. We would like your blessing as we continue to pursue this journey.”

There was a gasp from Pam’s mother and David let out an excited chuckle. Pam smiled and looked around the room for more reactions. Jim’s mother smiled and Scarlet sat playing with her food.

“If you didn’t know, Pam and I have known each other for a long time and just recently reunited and started dating. We decided that marriage is a possibility and think that we are ready for it.”

Jim’s mother was wiping away a few tears and Pam’s mother was blatantly crying as her husband rubbed her shoulder.

“I think that’s a great idea,” Pam’s mother said.

Pam started in on the water works and let out a joyous giggle.

Larissa reached over the table and took a hold of Jim’s hand. “Jim, I think this is a good thing. I was wrong to say that you were rushing things. Please forgive me for making judgments because Pam and Scarlet are amazing women.”

Jim nodded and smiled at his mother. “Thanks, Ma.”

“So, I knew when I came down here that you would prove me wrong and I brought this,” Jim’s mother said as she slid a velvet ring case towards Jim. “It’s Grandma Norma‘s. She would want you to have it.”

Pam put a hand over her mouth and Jim looked at his mother in disbelief. The ring had been in the family for years and Larissa just had cleaned and reset it a year ago. He never thought his mother would ever part with it because it’s such a valuable piece to their family’s history.

“Mom, you don’t have to…” Jim said as she shook his head.

“No. I talked with all of Norma’s family and they said that they would like you two to have it. Please take it,” she said pushing it into his hand.

Jim stared down at the little box and an overwhelming emotion swept over him. He stood, walked around the table, grabbed his mother up into a hug, received a manly hug from his father and wiped a small tear from his eye. Pam sat at the table still letting out little sobs.

“Mom, this means so much to me. Thank you,” he said as he hugged her again. Larissa wiped her cheeks and put the ring box in his hand.

“It means so much to us that you are happy. Now, go give it to her.”

Jim opened the box and his eyes widened as he did. The ring was beautiful and glowing more than usual. He shut the case and stepped over to where Pam was sitting. Pam’s mother let out a little squeal as Jim grabbed her hand and helped her out of her chair. Jim took a few deep breaths and stood in silence as his emotions racked his body. Pam cried too and rubbed her hands over his arm.

He looked into her eyes and grabbed her hands. “Wow. Pam, I know I kind of already proposed but I’m going to do it right this time.” Jim shifted on his feet. “Um, I’ve known you for years and when I saw you after all those years, standing in a grocery store with your beautiful daughter, I knew you were the one. I never stopped loving you. I’m so blessed to have you in my life.”

He bent down on one knee and popped the case open again. He wiped away another tear. Scarlet crawled out of her chair and kneeled down next to Jim. The room exploded in laughter as Jim broke the tender moment laughing at Scarlet, who sat next to him on the floor. Jim looked over and smiled at the curious Scarlet.

“No, I think you need to stand here Miss Scarlet,” Jim said pulling her up and standing her next to Pam.

The mother’s were sobbing tears of joy in between their laughter. Scarlet obeyed Jim and moved next to Pam’s knees. She stood quietly as Jim spoke.

“Both of you need to be standing before me,” he said as he grabbed Pam’s hand. “Pam, will you marry me?” Jim asked, holding the ring up. Scarlet looked up to see into the box.

Pam nodded and grabbed onto Scarlet’s hand (partially to keep her from touching the ring and partially to hold onto something before she passed out).

“Yes, Jim. I will marry you,” she said as he stood.

Jim slipped the shiny ring onto her finger and pulled her into a kiss. The dinner guests clapped and cheered. Once they broke their kiss, Jim went over to his briefcase and pulled the manila folder. He walked back over to Pam as the eyes of the guests followed him. He held out the folder and took in another breath.

“Now, this is something that I had hoped to talk to you about in private, but since this has been such a good night, I don't think I can wait.”

Pam furrowed her brows in a puzzled expression and sighed. Jim kept looking between Pam and Scarlet.

“I don’t know what your reaction will be to my offer, but here goes…” Jim said, handing Pam the open folder. Pam looked at the documents and her face crinkled with emotion. Jim felt his heart skip a few beats as she read over the paper.

Pam’s mother whispered to her husband. “What is it?”

Jim kept his eyes locked on Pam, not moving a muscle.

“Pam, what is it?” her mother asked again. Pam wiped a tear and knelt down to Scarlet.

“Scarlet, would you be happy if Jim lived with us?” Pam asked. Scarlet nodded.

“And, would you be happy if Jim was your daddy?” Pam asked as she choked out a sob. Jim crossed his arms over his chest and placed his head in his hand. Scarlet nodded. The Halpert’s leaned over the table to see the little girls reactions. Everyone in the room was overcome with emotion and joy.

Pam stood and looked at the older adults. She sighed, grabbed Jim at the waist and looked down at the papers again.

“These are….papers….to apply for an adoption,” Pam said, crying. Jim was crying thoroughly as well.

Pam’s mother reached over and laid her head on her husband’s shoulder while Jim’s mother openly sobbed.

Jim looked down at Pam. Through his tears and smile he asked, “Is it okay that I become Scarlet’s father?”

Pam nodded. “Yes, Jim. That would be the best thing to ever happen to her.”

Jim leaned down to kiss her. The family clapped and Scarlet pulled on Pam’s skirt. Pam grabbed her child and placed a kiss on her rosy red cheek.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW! The more the better. So, take a second to rate this puppy and leave me a little love in the form of a comment. I write for free, you know.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans