- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I decided to put this one up shortly after Ch. 24 because both of these are pretty short and slow. Nothing major happening yet...so, enjoy the double post for the day. Thanks for reading and I hope to get more 'meaty' chapters up soon.

 

In the backyard, Jim pushed Scarlet on the swing set that he had set up. It had taken him four hours just to figure out what pieces went where and what the instructions said. Once it was all put together, they spent a good portion of their summer evenings pushing Scarlet back and forth until she was tired. One night, she actually fell asleep in the swing and Jim had to carry her in. Since it was Jim and Scarlet’s time to play, Jim came up with a song to entertain Scarlet while she swung.

Just a swingin’….swingin’.”

Scarlet laughed and sang along when she got the words down. It surprised Jim how fast she picked up on the words and bobbed her head to the beat. Even though she was five, she picked up on things quickly. That was something he was sure he was going to have to be cautious about.

“Now, this time when we sing it, let’s put your name in there. So…Little Scarlet, she’s as pretty as the angel’s when they sing. I can't believe I'm out here on the front porch swing just a swingin‘…swingin‘,” Jim and Scarlet sang.

Pam came out on the back porch and leaned against the railing as they sang. Pam’s smile widened as Jim sang and then Scarlet would chime in with, ‘swingin.’”

“What are you teaching our child?” Pam said, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Um…just a little John Anderson. It never hurt anyone,” Jim said, pushing Scarlet.

“I see. Well, I guess it’s an appropriate swinging song. Very catchy.”

“Oh, definitely. I can’t believe I even know that song.”

“That’s exactly what I was thinking,” Pam said with a smile.

-----

Sitting in the lawyer’s office, Jim held tight to Pam’s hand.

“The documents have been processed and it’s official. Jim, you are now Scarlet’s father. Congratulations,” the lawyer said, smiling and reaching out to shake Jim’s hand.

“Thanks,” Jim said, shaking hands with the lawyer.

“You’ll get your copy in the mail in a few weeks.”

“Thank you. We appreciate everything,” Pam said, shaking hands with the lawyer as well.

“Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Halpert. Take care.”

Jim and Pam slipped out of the office and found Scarlet coloring in the waiting room. The secretary at the firm was sitting beside her and keeping her entertained. When she saw Jim and Pam enter the lobby, she told Scarlet they were done in the office.

“Hey, Scarlet. Did you have fun out here?”

“It was okay,” Scarlet said, putting her crayons into her box.

“Did you tell this nice lady thank you for keeping you company?”

Scarlet turned to the blonde girl. “Thanks. You can have this picture,” Scarlet said, handing a drawing to the woman.

“Thank you, Scarlet. You’re very good.”

“So is my mom. She can draw really good.”

“Really? Well, you must get it from her,” the young woman said, standing and stepping behind her desk. “Thanks for hanging out with me today.”

“Thank you,” Scarlet said as she waved.

Jim grabbed Scarlet’s coloring supplies and held open the door for the two girls following him. As they approached the car, Jim turned to ask Pam a question.

“Did you want to go see Neil today?”

Pam looked down at Scarlet. “Yeah, I guess we could do that.”

“We haven’t been to visit Dad in a long time.”

Pam looked over at Jim and then down at Scarlet. “We’ve been really busy, baby. That’s why we are going today.”

They drove to the cemetery in almost complete silence. For some reason, Jim looked like he did the night they came home from Paris. His eyes looked heavy and his face pale. Pam grabbed his hand that rested near the gear shift.

“Are you feeling okay, Jim?”

Jim almost seemed like he snapped out of deep thought when Pam spoke. “Yeah.”

“You look tired. Do you want me to drive?”

“Nah. We’re almost there. Thank you though,” he said with a classic smile.

“Okay. Let me know if you want to switch places.”

“Will do,” he said, staring at the road.

Pam wasn’t convinced that Jim was okay. She knew she wasn’t going to keep prying until after they were alone where Scarlet could be distracted from their conversation. Pam waited until they were parked at the cemetery to chat with Jim. As Scarlet ran over to the headstone, Pam grabbed Jim’s hand.

“Hey, are you sure you’re feeling all right?”

Jim looked at Pam. “Yeah. I’m sure.”

“I’m not buying it, Jim Halpert,” Pam said, facing him completely.

“I’m Scarlet’s father now.”

“And?”


“There’s a big responsibility on my shoulders now, you know?”

Pam smiled. “You’re going to be great.”

“I hope. It’s just…I didn’t get nine months to prepare and all the sudden, I’m a father. It’s crazy.”

“Are you upset about that?”

“No. Not at all. I wouldn’t trade you or Scarlet for anything. I guess it all just dawned on me at once.”

“Don’t fret about it, Jim. I’m going to be here too. You don’t have to do this on your own.”

Jim nodded. “I know. Thanks,” Jim said, pulling Pam into a hug and looking over at Scarlet.

“Oh, and another thing,” Jim said, resting his chin on Pam’s head. “Don’t let me interfere with your time with Neil. I completely understand.”

Pam looked up at Jim. “I’ve been doing some thinking about it. I think we need to have a talk with Scarlet. You know, explain to her that since Neil’s gone, you’re her father now. It’s going to be hard, but I think we can manage.”

“Do you think she will understand?”

“We just have to try. One day she’ll understand,” Pam said, stepping closer to hear Scarlet.

Scarlet was talking as she sat next to Neil’s grave. Pam held up her finger to Jim as she inched in closer to hear what she was saying.

“Jim got me a cat. We named her Allie. She’s pretty. Oh, and I start real kindergarten soon…..”

Pam smiled. She motioned Jim to join her where she stood behind Scarlet.

“Mom and Jim got married. After they got married, we ate cake and danced. Jim let me stand on his shoes and I danced with him. And, when they got back from their trip, Jim got sprayed with a skunk in the garage. Oh yeah Dad, we moved….”

Pam looked back at Jim. “She’s really got a lot to say.”

“…the house is big and has more stairs than the other one. It’s pretty. You’d probably like it. I have a doll house that looks almost like it too,” Scarlet said, turning her head to catch Pam and Jim standing behind her.

“Hey!” she cried.

“Oops! She caught us,” Pam said, laughing.

“I was telling Dad about all the new stuff.”

“We heard.”

Scarlet stood and went over to Pam and grabbed her hand. “Mom…”

“What’s wrong baby?” Pam asked. Scarlet had her head nuzzled on Pam’s leg, sheepishly. Jim stepped back, knowing that he probably didn’t need to hear their conversation. Once he backed away and turned, he saw Pam kneel down to meet Scarlet’s eye line. After a few moments, Pam hugged Scarlet and grabbed her hand and led her to the car. Jim opened her car door and looked at Pam questioningly.

“We’ll talk about it later,” Pam said, shutting the door and getting in on the passenger side.

----

Once they were home, Jim wandered into the living room, pulling on his tie and flopping down on the couch. Scarlet had scrambled into her room to play, and Pam was standing in the kitchen looking through the fridge.

Curious about Scarlet’s awkward scene at the cemetery, Jim called out to Pam.

“Pam, what happened at the cemetery?”

Pam came around the corner. “Um, Scarlet was just asking me why Neil doesn’t answer her when she talks. She was really upset about it.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. And….then I tried to explain that today you became her new daddy because Neil was gone. She just nodded when I told her. I don’t really know if she understood or not.”

Jim sat up to look at Pam leaning against the hallway wall. “Oh.”

“I mean, someday she’ll get it. So, don’t worry.”

“I know. It just seems hard to tell a little kid that the only dad they’ve ever known isn’t their father anymore. It seems kinda…sad.”

“Scarlet didn’t understand when Neil died. Heck, I don’t think she even remembers any good moments with him so, I think she’ll have fond memories with you.”

“I hope so,” Jim said, half smiling. Pam walked over to where he sat and sat next to him.

“What’s wrong, Jim? You‘ve been a little down all day.” Pam asked, brushing the slightly unruly hairs from his forehead.

“I’m fine. I think I’m worn out from all this new stuff. It’s tiring and somewhat…emotional. I feel like I’m turning into a girl all of a sudden.”

“That’s what you get living with two girls,” Pam said, leaning in and kissing Jim.

“Oh, God. I have to live with two girls.”

“Yup. Get used to it.”

“When I start wearing your high heels you better stop me.”

“I promise. I think I’ll say something when you start putting on my lipstick.”

“Good,” Jim said, grabbing Pam‘s face in his hands and kissing her. “Is it bedtime yet?” he asked, running his hands up and down her arms.

“Um, we have to make dinner,” Pam said still placing kisses on his face and neck.

“Do we have to?”

“Scarlet might starve if we don’t.”

“Shoot,” Jim said, snapping his fingers.

“I can make it a quick meal. Ham and cheese sound good?”

“Perfect.”

“Okay, let me get it ready. Go get Scarlet,” Pam said, placing another kiss on his lips and getting up from the couch.

Jim jogged up the stairs to her room. He opened the door and found the room empty.

“Huh,” Jim said as turned to find her. When he made it to Pam and his bedroom, he found Scarlet putting a drawing on his nightstand. He watched from outside the room as she placed it by his bed and came around the corner and saw him.

“Whatcha doing Scarlet?” Jim asked.

“I made you a picture.”

“Can I see?”

“Yeah,” she said as she went back around the bed to grab it.

Jim entered the room and sat on the bed. Scarlet brought the drawing to Jim and placed it in his hands. Jim took the picture as Scarlet settled into Jim’s side.

“Who’s this?” Jim asked, pointing at the people in the drawing.

Pointing to a girl in a pink dress, she answered, “Me. See?” Scarlet said as she pointed out the word ‘me’ under the stick figure.

“I see that now. And, apparently this one labeled Mom is Pam.”

“Yup. And, you’re right here,” Scarlet said, pointing at the figure labeled ‘Jim.’

Jim’s heart sank just a little at the sight of his name. He was hoping maybe she would have put ‘dad’ but knew that she would have to grow into it. For the time being, Jim dealt with it and smiled.

“This is very nice Scarlet. Thank you.”

“I was going to put it by your bed so you could look at it every night.”

“I will do that. We should get a frame for it, too.”

“Yeah! Mom has a lot of frames.”

“Well, I’ll ask her for one so I can display it,” Jim said, putting the picture down on his nightstand.

“Do you like it?”

“I love it.,” Jim said, tightening his arm around Scarlet’s shoulder and then releasing.

“Good. It took me forever to make,” Scarlet said, slightly rolling her eyes as she skipped out of the room. Jim chuckled at her attempt at being older. She was already growing up way too fast.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading. Now, go rate and review!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans