- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

HERE WE GO!!! Thanks so much for your reviews and ratings! I love you guys! Every time I read a comment, I get really excited for the upcoming chapters, because people are genuinely excited to see what happens next. There is more to come, keep looking out for the upcoming chapters! I should have new ones up daily. Thanks!

 Thanks to Peski_piksi, all MTT authors, and readers....you guys are so supportive and fun to entertain. You're help, critiques and reviews help bring aspiring writers a little sense of what it means to inspire! :)

 

 

Jim sat at his desk on the first day back from his hiatus. He wanted to call Pam and see what she was doing every ten minutes. He kept his thoughts preoccupied on expense reports and employee evaluations. He couldn’t wait to get off work and go to Scarlet’s birthday party at Pam’s home. Pam had asked him to come during one of their lunch dates. He was happy that he was going to get the chance to visit with Pam’s family and some of Neil’s relatives. He felt nervous that he was the boyfriend and he didn’t want the relatives thoughts to be negative about him.

He arrived a little late. He still had his work clothes on and carried in a neatly wrapped package for Scarlet. When he knocked on the door, Pam’s mother opened the door.

“Hello. Are you Jim?”

“Yes I am. And you are Pam’s mother.”

“You’re good. Come on in.”

She ushered Jim through the door and into the kitchen where most the family sat around the table. Pam stood when he came in and walked over to him. He leaned over for a little kiss but she turned her head. Jim thought that it was weird that she didn’t want to show any affection in front of the family. She gently squeezed his elbow and motioned for him to meet the family.

“Everyone, this is Jim Halpert.”

Many of the visitors nodded and some even shouted a greeting in his direction. Scarlet ran around the table and clung to Jim’s legs. He looked down and then knelt to her level.

“Hi Scarlet. Are you having a good birthday?”

“Yeah. Nana got me a Barbie!”

“Are you serious?”

“Yup. It came with a kitty that pees.”

“Wow. You’re lucky.”

“What did you get me?” Scarlet asked as she picked at the package in Jim’s hands. Pam made a face and scolded Scarlet.

“Scarlet, don’t be greedy.”

“Mom!”

Jim held out the box and let Scarlet take it from him. “Here you go. Happy 5th birthday.”

He stood up as she ripped the paper off the box. Jim smiled as she dug into the contents of the box. She pulled out several books, a stuffed cat, a new set of crayons, some coloring books and a pad of sketch paper.

“Mom, look what Jim gave me!” Scarlet said as she held up the cat and the crayons.

“Wow. That’s a great gift. Tell Jim thanks.”

“Thank you, Jim,” she said as she hugged his legs again.

“You’re welcome Miss Scarlet,” Jim said with a satisfied grin on his lips.

Jim was happy that Scarlet loved the gift. He hadn’t ever bought a gift for a young girl before but for some reason, he had no trouble picking out gifts for Scarlet. In fact, any time he went out, he always seemed to find something that reminded him of Scarlet.

----

Most of the relatives had left early for their long drives home. Pam escorted most of them out of the house. Jim waited until he could get a chance to at least hug Pam that night. He played with Scarlet while Pam was still talking with family.

While Jim was coloring with Scarlet, one of Pam’s relatives came over to chat with him. Jim wasn’t sure how he was related to Pam or Neil but felt awkward in his presence.

“So, how do you know Pam?”

“I used to work with her at Dunder Mifflin. Of course, that was like eight years ago,” Jim said looking up from his picture.

“Really? Was she the same back then?”

Jim gave a puzzled look and then reluctantly answered, “Sort of. She has changed a lot. She’s a mother now.”

“Oh. She’s great.”

“Yes, she is. So is Scarlet.”

“Did Pam invite you tonight?”

“Yeah. I couldn’t miss Scarlet’s birthday.”

“Neither could the rest of the family,” said the short, dark headed man.

“How are you related to Pam?”

“I’m actually her late husband’s brother.”

“Oh,” was all Jim could say.


“Uncle Loren gave me money,” Scarlet said while she focused on her drawing.

“I like to spoil my niece,” Loren said.

“That’s very kind of you,” Jim said, his voice a little aggravated. He wasn’t sure why he was angry with Loren but he knew it had something to do with the other man trying to show off.

“So, are you and Pam a couple?” Loren asked in a hushed voice.

“Jim is a friend,” Pam said from behind Loren.

Jim’s heart sank at her reply. He was confused now. He and Pam had been dating for a week or so and now she was denying it. He felt angry and also hurt.

“Oh,” Loren said as he stood and walked to the door.

“Thanks for coming, Loren. We’ll see you soon,” Pam said as she turned to walk him out the door. After the door was shut Pam kept her back turned as to not look at Jim’s glare from behind her.

Pam’s mom entered the living room and seemed to immediately notice the tension emanating from the both of them. She looked over and saw Scarlet still coloring away.

“Come on Scarlet, let’s go take a bath,” she said as she pulled on her arm. Scarlet obeyed and followed her grandmother up the stairs. As soon as they were left alone, Pam walked over to where Jim was sitting on the floor with papers in his hands. He pushed them aside and looked up at her.

“I’m sorry,” she said as she placed her hands on the back of the couch.

Jim didn’t respond. He just looked up at her with a hurt in his eyes. Pam darted her eyes around the room and then focused back on Jim’s gaze.

“If I tell them I’m dating, they’ll make it a big deal and it could hurt the family.”

“I see,” he said as he nodded.

“It’s nothing against you. I just don’t feel comfortable telling anyone yet.”

“Okay,” he said with another hurt expression crossing his face.

“Do you hate me?” Pam asked.

“Nope,” he said as he shook his head.

Pam walked around the couch and then sat down where Jim was still sitting. She scooted over next to him and bumped her shoulder into his.

“You know that I deeply care for you...”

Jim nodded.

“Say something Jim.”

He turned and gazed into her eyes. His eyes glistened and in response, Pam’s eyes welled up with tears too. He placed his hand on her cheek and pulled her into a kiss. She responded by placing her hands on his neck. Their intimate moment was interrupted by Pam’s mother coming down the stairs. She cleared her throat and stopped at the bottom of the stairs until they pulled away from one another.

Pam’s cheeks were flushed and she stood up quickly to escape the scene. Jim stood, adjusted his tie and jacket, then made his way towards the door. Pam grabbed the door knob and opened the door for Jim.

----

At his car, he held her hand. They didn’t say much. He still felt hurt that she was avoiding explaining their relationship. She put her arms around him and held on tight. With her face nestled in his jacket, she spoke.

“I didn’t lose you, did I?”

“Never.”

“You’re not mad at me, are you?”

“No. Not mad. I’m just a little upset that you can’t tell people that you are seeing someone else now. How hard is that?”

Pam pulled away from their hug. “Jim, it’s not that I don’t want to shout it from the rooftops, it’s just that Neil’s family can be protective about what happens to Scarlet.”

“Well, where were they when Neil was a drunk and could have possibly hurt the both of you?”

“They didn’t really know about Neil’s addiction. They were blind to it….”

“And, because you’re trying to paint this good image of Neil, you can’t tell them you are happier than ever with a new man?”

“It’s a little difficult, Jim.”

“How?”

“They still think that I’m hung up on Neil.”

“Are you, Pam?”

“Heck no!”

“Then what’s the problem? You can’t blame it all on protecting their feelings.”

“You wouldn’t understand. It’s just something I’m not comfortable with admitting to them yet.”

“You’ve got to tell the truth at some point Pam.”

“I will. Now isn’t the right time to announce that I’m dating again.”

“Well, when you figure out when that time is, call me.”

Jim pulled his car door shut and backed out of her driveway. Pam stood there praying that he would turn his car around and come back. She wanted to tell him that she loved him more than she had ever loved Neil and that she would do anything to keep him in her life. Instead of screaming at the top of her lungs at his fleeting car, she turned on her heel and slowly walked into her home.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Feed my addiction...rate and review please! I will buy you all a new car if you make my day. Well, maybe not a new car, but I will post a new chapter! Thanks!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans