- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A Driving Jim.

'this years love had better last, heaven knows it’s high time. If you love me got to know for sure. Cause it takes something more this time than sweet sweet lies. Before I open up my arms and fall losing all control. Every dream inside my soul."- David Gray

 

His eyes are sore and struggling to stay open. He’s been driving for hours. Finally deciding that without her he falls apart. Weeks spent running through all the ways this could blow up in his face. All these weeks knowing he would be walking into a broken heart. Weeks trying to talk himself out of it. Weeks of hating himself for making her wait. Today was the day. We were both done waiting.

There was still so much to talk about, to understand. So much to forgive. But he remembered today. He realized why something had felt off since he’d woke up. Today was her birthday. Today was her birthday and he’d forgotten. Not really such a hard thing to do considering that the days slipped into nights so effortlessly. The days turned into weeks. Weeks of unsettled sleep and listless alertness.

He had remembered while eating his ham and cheese at his desk. He saw Karen walking to her’s with a bag of french onion sun chips. And he remembered how Pam’s face lit up last year when she saw his gift on her desk. He walked out of the office then. Got in his car and headed straight for Scranton. Headed straight for her.

For once he wasn’t afraid. They would actually act like grown ups and get everything out in the open for once. There was so much of him that belonged to her. He wanted to return it so desperately. He would be this years present. After so long he might actually get the one thing he has always wanted. He saw he front door in front of him. This time he had to be brave.

He knocked softly. The door breezed open. He lost his breath.

Maybe this time he’d do what was right. Maybe this time she would love him.

Her hair was piled into a messy bun. Her eyes were red and swollen. She had been crying. Now? Well, now she’s smiling.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans