- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Big thanks to shroom for the photos that gave me ideas, to walkinlove for the encouragement, and xoxoxo for the proof-reading!! You guys really rock!

I still own nothing by all this love in my heart for Jim Halpert. No copywrite infringement intended.

“Jim, please stop that.”

“What?”

“You're licking your lips again.”

“No, I'm not.”

Pam rested her head against the back of the couch and sighed. “Yes, you are. And then later tonight you are going to complain that they hurt.”

Jim and Pam were spending a lazy Sunday afternoon at Pam's apartment, eating pizza and having a mini-marathon of the television series Firefly, as they both were huge fans of the canceled Fox series. Jim was introduced to it when he lived in Stamford, and Pam had found it through a recommendation on Netflix. In fact, the very first evening they spent together as two single, unattached people involved Pam coming over to Jim's to watch a few episodes. Somehow they ended up watching all thirteen episodes back-to-back that night, falling asleep in each others arms. After that, they just accepted the fact that fate wanted them together.

“Come here,” she said to him, pulling her lip balm out of her pajama pocket. He leaned down, not taking his eyes off the television as she gently applied the waxy substance on his lips and surrounding reddened skin. “That should help, at least until you lick it off again.”

“Thanks,” he said putting his arm around her. “I appreciate the effort, but those things never work for me.”

“That's because you don't apply it often enough to protect the skin,” she looked up at him affectionately, “and when you do use it, you lick it off almost immediately.”

“I don't lick my lips very often, it just wears off.”

She grinned. “And how does it wear off so quickly if you aren't licking your lips?”

He paused the dvd to give her his full attention. “Well I spend an awful lot of time kissing you these days,” he said, turning towards her.

“Not during work, you don't.” She giggled as he leaned over and kissed her neck as she was speaking, then covered her mouth with his when she'd finished. When he stopped she continued talking. “By the end of the day you nearly always complain that your lips feel chapped. I'm just trying to help you, you know.”

“I know you are,” he replied. “And so as a doctor of lipology, what are you recommending?”

“I am recommending that you start getting into the habit of putting lip balm on at work.”

“I tried that before. I put the stick in my pocket and then I forget about it all day until I get home at night, when I take off my pants and put the stick back on the dresser.”

“Maybe you just need the right motivation,” Pam said slowly, a smile spreading over her face.

Jim sat up straighter, amused by the look on her face. “Uh-oh, you've thought of a game haven't you?”

“Well, not so much a game as perhaps a challenge.”

“Oh this is going to be good.” Jim purposely bumped against her. “Spill it, Beesly.”

“Okay,” she said, moving to sit sideways on the couch to better face him. “Here's the deal. We'll make a challenge out of this.”

“Go on.”

“For the next week, every time I catch you licking your lips, you have to give me one kiss. One kiss anywhere I want it, payable on demand immediately.”

“Interesting,” Jim replied, already grinning.

“On the other hand, every time you show me putting on lip balm, I have to give you one kiss. Again, one kiss anywhere you request it, payable on demand immediately.”

“And we are going to do this at work and at home?”

“Yes. It's the best way to get you in the habit of using the lip balm.”

“Maybe it will just get me in the habit of licking my lips at the thought of you kissing me,” he replied.

“Ah ha - I thought of that.”

He laughed. “Why am I not surprised?”

“We'll keep a tally of kisses, and the person who has given the least kisses, is the winner.”

“The winner of what?”

“That I haven't decided yet.” Pam tilted her head and looked at him. “What would make it worth your while?”

“Would a blow job count at as a single kiss?” Jim wondered aloud, watching for the reaction on her face.

“No!” she laughed, too amused to be shocked. “That's definitely not a single kiss. A single kiss is something you'll need to be able to do quickly, seeing as you'll be required to pay your penalty even at work.”

He pulled her forward, onto his lap and gave her a quick kiss on her lips. “Like that?”

She brought her arms around his neck. “And this,” she said, kissing his jaw. “Anywhere the person asks.”

“But not a blow job,” he nodded. “But you could still put a single kiss below the belt, am I correct?”

She shook her head in amused frustration. “How did I know you were going to turn this into something completely dirty?”

Jim nuzzled her neck. “I'm just asking,” he said. “I don't want to get the rules wrong from the get go.”

“If we can get away with doing it in the office without being caught - and by that I do NOT mean oral sex in the stairwell - then fine.”

“What about up on the roof?” he whispered in her ear.

She just stared at him, trying not to laugh. “It's March, Jim. If you really want to expose yourself on the roof in March, be my guest.”


The next morning Jim was standing in front of the mirror in Pam's bathroom, adjusting his tie when he heard her call his name from the bedroom.

“You rang?” he asked, smiling at the sight of her leaning against her dresser as she put her earrings in.

“Time to start the documentation,” she replied.

“Excuse me?”

“For the challenge,” she smiled. “Come over here and sit on the bed.”

He did as requested, sitting at the end of the bed. She walked over and brushed her hand under his chin, tipping his face up towards her. She brushed her thumb over his lips. She looked so serious about it that Jim couldn't help but bite her thumb gently, causing her to grin and roll her eyes.

“Jim!” She laughed, “I'm trying to judge the condition of your lips before we start our challenge. And you are clearly not helping.”

He reached out and pulled her between his legs. “Running your fingers over my lips is really not a good way to keep me in a serious mood,” he grinned. “You will now have to pay for your mistake.” He fell back onto the bed, pulling her with him. Pam squealed in surprise as she landed on top of him, but she didn't resist. Instead she steadied herself by putting her hands on each side of his head.

“I can just as easily do it like this, if you insist,” she replied, trying very hard to appear serious.

He slid his hands up under her shirt. “Does it help if I do this?”

“Immensely, thanks,” she replied, determined not to let him get the best of her. Even as she felt his hands wandering over her skin, she did not let herself laugh. Not even a smile. “I see that you've got two cracks in your lower lip this morning,” she continued, “and there's general redness all under your lower lip, and right here along the upper lip.” She put her finger against the center of his upper lip. “They generally feel pretty scratchy, don't you think?”

He smiled up at her. “You are really getting good.” He rolled her over on the bed, settling on top of her. “But you forget who you're dealing with.”

“Jim, we're going to be late for work,” she replied, her voice wavering slightly. She knew she was about to start giggling. Jim knew it too and kissed the hollow of her throat. He continued to nibble at her neck until she had no choice but to give in, her laughter shaking her whole body. He relented, sitting back and helping her up.

“That's your problem, Pam. You're always so focused on work.”

“Oh yes, Dunder Mifflin is my life.” She stood up and grabbed a small notebook and black pen off her dresser, scribbling a few notes on the first page. “Okay, I just need to take the photo, and we're done.”

“My photo? For what?”

“A before photo of your lips.”

“A before photo?” He rolled his eyes. “You think you might be taking this a bit too far?”

She grinned. “If it were anyone one else but you, maybe. But I know you're going to try and claim victory on Friday even if your lips are healed.” She started toward the door. “The camera's on the breakfast bar in the kitchen.”

Jim followed her out of the bedroom, grabbing his duffel bag and suit jacket as he went. Since they'd been together it seemed like they always traveled with baggage. He spent a few nights at her place, then she'd spent the rest of the week at his. He was already starting to hint that perhaps one address for the both of them would make the most sense, but so far Pam seemed to either be missing his hints, or purposely ignoring them.

“So have you decided what the winner's prize will be?” He asked as he walked into the kitchen. He poured a glass of juice and watched Pam fiddle with her digital camera.

“Don't drink anything until I take this picture,” she said, turning the camera on. “And I think we should let it be winner's choice. Whatever the winner wants.”

“Wow, Pam, that could be dangerous.” She told him to sit at on the bar stool, and from there she took a few photos.

“I'll sort these out at work,” she said, putting her camera in her bag. “I should hope I could trust you not to make your prize something unpleasant or impossible.”

“No, of course not - but even so, it leaves a lot of room for interpretation.”

Pam thought a moment while she watched Jim drink his orange juice. “Okay, how about this. Sometime today, write down three things you would want if you win and seal it in an envelope. I'll do the same, and then come Friday the loser opens the winner's envelope and can choose which ONE of the three wishes they are willing to fulfill.”

Jim just sat there staring at her, an amused look on his face. “You really should be doing this sort of thing professionally, Pam. You are totally missing your calling.”

She came over and kissed him, her hand on his tie. “It wouldn't be nearly as much fun if I wasn't playing with you.”

He put his arms around her, kissing her back. “Hey, so where's this stuff you want me to put on my lips?”

“Oh, right - almost forgot!”

Jim laughed. “Okay, maybe I have to take back that part about you doing it professionally.”

“Here,” she said, taking two sticks out of her purse. “I have two Blistex flavors here: raspberry and mint. Which one do you want?”

“I can use both, can't I?”

“Sure - I just wanted you to have one and I'll keep the other in my purse. I also have a vanilla flavored one on my desk.

“Wow, I had no idea I had so many options. I think I'll take raspberry for now, if that's good for you.”

Pam took off the cap. “Allow me to be the first to apply it,” she said. She carefully outlined his lips with the lip balm, his hands resting on her hips as she did so. “There. Good luck this week, you are so going to need it.” She handed the closed tube him.

“Me? Beesly, you don't stand a chance.” He pulled her close and kissed her. Pam thought the taste of raspberry suited him. She kissed him back, wishing they didn't have to leave for work. Luckily he didn't seem to care if they went in or not. When they finally walked into the office, she were relieved to see they'd made it on time.

Jim was up at the reception desk a few minutes after they arrived. “I have a question for the judges,” he said, leaning on the counter.

She smiled up at him. “I can pass it along.”

“So what's to stop me from sitting at my desk and applying lip balm all day long? I could get a kiss like every 5 minutes that way.”

She shook her head. “I knew you'd find a loop hole. I'll have to get back to you.”
Jim nodded and walked back to his desk.

Pam hung her head so no one would notice her laughing. One of the reasons she loved him so much was that he always played along. Always. He never made her feel embarrassed or stupid for being silly, even when she pushed it to the edge like she knew she had with this 'challenge.' He made her feel comfortable being herself. She knew he loved her for being herself.

She opened up an IM chat to him.

PB: The judges rule an amendment to the rules are in order. The amendment reads that a player can only claim a point, and by that a kiss, once every 30 minutes, effective immediately.

JH: Effective right now, huh?

PB: That's what the judges said. It's now almost 8:30, so that will make the timing easier.

JH: You're going to keep count of all of this?

PB: You bet. I want to win on Friday. Don't forget to make your list of three and put it in an envelope.

JH: I'm working on it now.

PB: So what are your three wishes going to be? :)

JH: A pony, the complete Hardy Boys Mysteries (in hardcover), and a weekend getaway with Jessica Alba. What are your three wishes?

PB: OMG, it's spooky. I want *exactly* the same three things! Well, except I'd prefer the Nancy Drew Mysteries.

JH: And people say we have nothing in common. :)

PB: :)

JH: Oh, I have something to show you.


Jim walked up to Pam's desk, where he pulled out the raspberry Blistex and proceeded to apply it to his lips. He put it back in his pocket and rested his forearms on the counter, his expression saying he was clearly pleased with himself.

Pam grinned, noting the time in her little notebook. Lip balm - 1, Lip licking - 0.

“Where do you want it?” She sighed.

“Meet me in the kitchen and I'll tell you,” he said quietly. She watched him until he was passed the conference room door, then got up to head to the kitchen. He was peering into the fridge when she walked in. He shut the fridge door, took a look around to make sure no one was watching and then stood by the sink.

“I'll make this one easy,” he said, offering his left arm. “The inside of my wrist.”

Pam looked at his bare wrist and then up at him. Even though it was her game, and it was a completely inoffensive place to kiss, she felt suddenly embarrassed.

“Well, go on, Miss Beesly. It's your game. Unless,” Jim smiled, “you just want to call a forfeit and let me win right now?”

He knew just what to say. She grabbed his arm and pressed her lips the underside of his wrist. It was warm and soft against her lips, so she kissed it twice for good measure.

“Okay?” she smiled.

“Yep, but the next one's going to be more daring.”

“Somehow I don't doubt it,” she replied, as she walked out of the kitchen and back to her desk.

He caught her attention and applied lip balm at ten o'clock (a kiss behind his right ear), and again at eleven forty-five (behind his left ear). He smiled at her smugly as they walked into the conference room for another Michael Scott seminar.
She surprised him by sitting across from him, instead of next to him at the table. When he raised his eyebrows in mock hurt, she grinned and rolled her eyes. She had her reasons.

Pam paid only slight attention to Michael, as he rambled his way through the topic of the annual office safety policies. She was paying more attention to Jim's mouth, knowing that if she waited long enough, he'd lick his lips. She counted on catching him during this meeting because she knew exactly where she wanted him to kiss her. Sure enough, twenty minutes into Michael's explanation of the flow chart on how to treat a paper cut, she watched as Jim's tongue crept out. First he bit his lower lip, then his tongue swept around both his top and bottom lip. Pam almost hated to call him on it, because she had never really appreciated how sensual it looked. To be honest, just watching him do it make her feel more than a little aroused. Maybe it would be in her best interest to let him win this contest, she though briefly. Then her competitive streak took over and she kicked him lightly under the table to get his attention.

He looked over at her, a stern look on his face meant to be a silent scold for her kicking. She smiled, licked her lips and gave him a nod. He shook his head no, and turned to look back at Michael. She slipped off her shoe and this time just pushed his shin with her foot. He didn't look at her, but she noticed him every so slightly sticking his tongue out. She looked down at the legal pad in front of her so no one would catch her grin. She was about to kick him again when she was startled by the feeling of his foot on her left knee. She coughed to try and cover her reaction, and Jim rested his chin in his hand. She could tell he was trying not to laugh. She knew she was blushing, and worried that everyone in the room had noticed. She discretely looked around the room, and noticed that not only was no one even looking at her or Jim, but practically no one was looking at Michael. Stanley had his ever-present crossword puzzle book (Pam thought she should buy a sudoku magazine next time she was out), Creed was biting his nails, Meredith and Phyllis looked like they were falling asleep. Kelly had her arm through Ryan's while he was just staring into space. Toby had his arms crossed, looking more than slightly annoyed with Michael. Only Dwight and Angela seemed to be listening to Michael, and they were seated in front of her.

He was running his foot slowly up and down her shin, so she dropped her left hand into her lap. When his foot rested on her knee again, she closed her hand around it. Their eyes met briefly, but their expressions remained blank as Michael acted out one of his accident injury stories. Pam rubbed the top of Jim's foot with her thumb, and when he looked at her again, she gave him a small innocent smile. Her hand continued to rub his foot, and then his ankle. Then without warning she pulled his sock off, deftly sticking it in the pocket of her cardigan. She almost laughed out loud at his wide eyed expression. His now bare foot kept pushing against her knee, but she ignored him, instead spending the rest of the meeting doodling on her legal pad.

Finally, thankfully, the meeting ended, and Pam was one of the first to stand up. She didn't look at Jim as she walked out of the room, though she was fully aware of his eyes on her. She didn't even get a chance to sit down at her desk before he was there, leaning over the counter.

“Okay, very funny. Now give it back,” he said, putting out his hand.

“Didn't your mother teach you to use good manners? I could have swore I didn't hear a please in there.”

“Please may I have it back?” he grinned.

She looked up at the ceiling, thinking. “No,” she replied.

“No?”

“Not until you admit you licked your lips in the meeting.”

He made a face. “I know I licked them. I was never going to deny it.”

“Hmm,” Pam replied. She took out her tally notebook. It was now lip balm with three, lip licking at just one. “Meet me in the stairwell in a minute.” With that she got up and walked away, still maintaining ownership of his sock.

Jim sighed and resisted the urge to bang his head on the reception desk. He wondered if she was always going to be this much of a handful. He both feared and loved that he already knew the answer to that.

When he slipped in to the stairwell, Pam was leaning against the concrete wall, sock in hand. He walked over to her, hand extended. “Please?” he asked.

She held in her clenched fist. “And what did we learn from this experience?” She grinned up at him.

“That you need spanked more often?”

She giggled. “Besides that.”

He reached out and put his hand over hers. “I have no idea.”

“That you'll never know when I'll surprise you.”

He grinned at her, tugging on her hand to get her to release his sock. “I already knew that.”

She lifted her hand over her head, knowing he'd step closer to keep his grip on her. “It's going to cost you to get your sock back,” she said.

“But of course it will,” he said. “What do you want?”

“I think a kiss will do,” she replied.

“I already have to give you a kiss for the lip licking.”

“No, this one's a proper kiss.”

“You drive a hard bargain,” he replied, cupping her face with his hands. He pressed his lips to hers as her hands reached for his waist. She knew they should be a little more professional at work - kissing on the other side of the stairwell door wasn't exactly being highly secretive - but sometimes she just didn't care. She'd waited too long for this, lived through too much. Sometimes she just wanted to indulge in the fact that he was finally hers. Today was such a day.

Jim's kiss was all she was hoping for and more. When he finally stepped back, she gave him a satisfied smiled and handed back his sock. “Thank you,” he said grandly, and leaned against the wall to put it back on. “Now about that other kiss I owe you?”

“In a hurry to get back to work?” She teased.

“No,” he grinned. “Maybe I'm more in a hurry to kiss you again.”

Pam took a deep breath, and watched his expression as she undid the top two buttons of her blouse. “Right here,” she said, running her finger along the spot of skin between her breasts.

Jim eye brows shot up. “Wow. Going for the provocative ones right from the start, huh?”

“My choice,” she smiled.

“And a fine one it is,” he winked. He let his finger trail down the spot she had just touched, then leaned down, his right hand resting against her lower back. His hair tickled her chest, and she felt the warm moistness of his lips. His kiss was longer than strictly necessary, and Pam was very pleased that she had thought of this game.

He lifted his head and gave her another quick kiss on the lips. “Time to get back to work, Beesly,” he smiled, and walked out the stairwell door, leaving Pam alone to contentedly button her shirt back up.

The afternoon passed quickly without Pam catching Jim licking his lips again. Jim, however, stopped by her desk twice: once to apply the raspberry blistex (inner right elbow), and once to ask to try the vanilla flavor she had on her desk (left shin). After work they spent the evening at Jim's house, where he delighted in pointing out how far behind she was falling.

“I told you this was a doomed effort, Pam,” he grinned over dinner. “You might as well prepare yourself to be my personal slave this weekend.”

“Is that one of your three wishes then?” Pam replied. “Because I can tell you right now it's only going to happen in your dreams. You'll start slipping before the end of the week, and then you'll find out on Friday that you are doing all my laundry for a month.”

“Smack talk from a very scared loser-to-be,” Jim mused.

Despite Jim's glee over being ahead, Pam caught him licking his lips twice that evening, which resulted in him giving her kisses on her lower back, and then on her belly. Everything he kissed after that was of his own free will, and he was certainly more than willing. Pam thought it was a very good night.

Score at the end of Monday: Lip balm, 5; Lip licking: 3.

Tuesday found Jim off on several sales calls. He remembered to apply Blistex before he left on his morning visit (nape of neck), but he licked his lips as he was taking off his coat when he returned shortly before lunch (right palm). She caught him again after they finished eating in the break room, but he claimed he was cleaning off the crumbs from his sandwich. When he pulled out his raspberry blistex immediately afterwards, she nearly refuse to count it.

“You don't get a point because you clearly licked your lips and aren't willing to count that,” she argued good-naturedly. “The best I'm willing to do is to negate them: I'll kiss you if you kiss me.”

Jim held the closed lip balm to his mouth as he considered the option. “Done,” he replied. “But we'll trade off in the stairwell. And by that I mean up near the roof entrance.” He gave her a comical leer and stood up, tossing his crumbled lunch bag in the trash. “Game for it?”

“I am so there,” she replied. “See you in ten minutes.”

She walked up the stairs wondering what would be awaiting her. She half-expected to find him completely undressed. She was a little disappointed when she arrived to find that he wasn't. He was standing next to the ladder, and smiled when he saw her, as if they hadn't just been together moments ago.

“Okay, I'm here. You want to request first?” She offered.

He nodded his head. “I would be happy to.” He reached for his belt and unbuckled it. He then unbuttoned and unzipped his pants, letting them fall to the floor.
She wasn't sure she trusted that glint in his eye. “I thought we had this conversation. Blow jobs do not count as single kisses.”

“Shh, don't give me any ideas,” he replied. “I do have to go downstairs and work in a minute.” She giggled at his inference. “No, Miss Mind-in-the-Gutter, I just want a kiss on the inside of my thigh.”

“Oh, 'just' on the inside of your thigh,” she grinned. “Left or right.”

“Um, right.”

Pam knelt onto the hard floor. She couldn't resist running her hand down his thigh, the feel of the hair on his leg reminding her of activities from the night before. She leaned in and kissed him mid-thigh, adding the briefest of licks before she pulled away. She sat back and watched him pull his pants back up.

“Nice,” Jim grinned. “Now you're turn.”

She scooted over to sit on the top stair. “Well nothing so risque, certainly,” she replied.

“Oh no, you'd never do that,” he teased, sitting down next to her.

She unbuttoned her shirt one button and shifted the collar back so her neck was completely exposed. She pointed to right side of her neck, at the point where it met her shoulder. “A kiss there, please,” she said politely.

Jim pushed her collar aside with his right hand, placing his left behind her on the ground for balance. He placed his open mouth against her neck, first kissing, then biting and sucking on her gently.

“Hey,” Pam cried, “I said a kiss, not a hickey.”

He laughed a little as he pulled away. “Just something to remember me by while I'm out this afternoon.”

She glared up at him, but couldn't really feel that irritated. It had felt good. “You're such a brat,” she scolded him, but he could see her eyes were smiling. He leaned over and kissed her, and they spent a few minutes in a non-challenge related cuddle. When they finally went back downstairs, Pam self-consciously pulled at her collar. A check in the bathroom mirror confirmed that it was not visible with her shirt in its normal position, but she kept tugging the collar closed for the rest of the afternoon.

Score at the end of Tuesday: Lip balm, 7; Lip licking: 5.

By Wednesday Pam was feeling quietly confident. Jim would be in the office all day, and she was sure that as long as she didn't do anything to remind him, he would probably forget about putting on the lip balm for most of the day. Her only concern was his ability to gain a point back by putting some on right after she called him on lip licking. As they rode in to work that morning, she decided to address the issue.

“Jim, I have to tell you about a new amendment the judges handed down this morning in regards to our challenge.”

“Really?” Jim grinned over at her from the driver's seat. “And what would that new amendment be?”

“The judges amended that you are no longer allowed to claim a lip balm point if you are putting the lip balm on as a result of being called on a lip licking charge.”

“Hmm. I shall have to think about whether or not I wish to appeal that amendment.”

“Appeal?” Pam relied. “How is it unfair? It seems to me that there would be no way for me to gain more points than you if you take a point every time I do. You are only putting on the lip balm because you are reminded by me. That wasn't the point of the contest.”

“Whoa, Pam, I was just teasing. No need to have a heart attack.”

“Sorry,” she said sheepishly. “You know how I get.”

He reached out and brushed her cheek with his knuckles. “Yes, I do know how you get. Fortunately I love you anyway.”

“You love me because of it,” she grinned.

“Maybe.” He looked over at her again. “I just know I love you.”

“You can love me all you want. I'm still going to win on Friday.”

“Yes, dear,” he replied in a exaggerated manner.

“Shut up,” she laughed.

As Jim parked his car in the Dunder Mifflin lot, he put his hand on Pam's arm. She looked over to see him brandishing his lip balm. “Does it count if you put it on?” he asked, suggestively.

She laughed and leaned over. “Oh, okay. Give it here.” She kissed him first, then applied the lip balm. “There you go.”

“I thought I got to choose where you kissed me.”

“You do. Can't I just kiss you?”

“Hmm,” he said, slightly frowning. “I don't know. If I start letting you kiss me willy-nilly, who knows what you'll try next?”

“Indeed, who knows what I'll try,” she replied. “So where do you want me to I kiss you now?”

He raised his eyebrows at her. “Where do I want it, or where will I settle for?”

“What is up with you this morning?” she laughed.

“That is an interesting choice of words, Beesly,” he replied as he reclined his chair back.

Her eyes rolled at his meaning. “Oh no. You are not getting me in trouble in this parking lot. People will be showing up any minute now.”

“What do you think I want?” Jim grinned, as he pulled up his shirt front out of his trousers. “I just want you to kiss my stomach.”

“Oh my God,” Pam said, laughing despite her blushing, “You know exactly what you were trying to make me think.”

Jim put his arms up behind his head. “No idea whatsoever. Feel free to enlighten me.”

“Never mind,” she sighed, and lifted up his shirt. She went to give him a kiss, and was overcome with the desire to give him a raspberry instead. She giggled as he doubled up in surprise.

“Hey! Do it right!” He complained, unable to completely hide his amusement. She ignored him and did it again.

“Pam!” He laughed, “Stop it!” He tried to turn away from her but the steering wheel prevented him. She was laughing so hard she just rested her cheek against the warmth of his stomach to compose herself. “You realize,” he said, “that if someone pulls up next to us they are NOT going to think you are just having a rest there.”

She sat up and looked around, grateful that no one else had arrived yet. “You, Jim Halpert, are pure evil.” He laughed as she leaned over and finally gave him a kiss on this stomach. “There. I'm going inside now.”

She grabbed her bag and got out of the car, leaving Jim to sort himself out. He had caught up to her by the time the elevator opened, and as they walked into the office together, their subdued facade was back into place. Well, except for the wink Jim gave her as he walked passed her on the way to his desk.

Pam had hopes for a quiet Wednesday until she saw Jan walk in at nine o'clock. Michael arrived shortly after she did, and they spent a little while in Michael's office with the door shut and the blinds pulled. Jim and Pam shared amused looks as they heard arguing coming from Michael's office. Unfortunately it was too muffled for even Jim to make out what the problem was.

Finally the door opened and Jan poked her head out. “Pam, can you join us, please? We have some notation that needs done.”

From there the morning went downhill. Pam was locked in Michael's office from nine-thirty until almost noon. Reports dating back two years had been determined to have been filed incorrectly, and Pam's job was to write down the ever growing list of what needed to be done to correct and refile them. By the time they were done, Jan was frustrated and Pam had a splitting headache. Michael was in a great mood, and offered to take Jan out to lunch. She was about to refuse when she stopped and suggested perhaps lunch at his condo would be a better idea. Pam escaped before she became a witness to any Jan/Michael public displays of affection.

Jim turned in his chair to look at her as she walked out of Michael's office. He started to smile until he saw the look on her face. When she got back to her desk, he had already sent her an IM:

JH: What the hell happened in there?

PB: Ugh. Lots of reports need to be redone. I spent the morning writing down all the changes that need made.

JH: You look a little pale. Are you okay?

PB: I just have the worst headache. Is it five o'clock yet?

JH: No, but do you want me to take you out to lunch and get some fresh air?

PB: Thanks, but I'm not sure I'd be good company. Besides, we brought lunches today, remember?

JH: Okay, well then let's go sit back in the break room for a while. You go get a table and I'll grab our lunches. I'll even buy you a coke. :)

PB: Wow. You are, like, the best boyfriend. Ever. :)

JH: I know. :)

She smiled over at him and nodded. When he joined her in the break room, they were the only two there. He put their lunch bags on the table, purchased two cokes and took the chair to her right.

“Here, take off your shoes and put your feet in my lap,” he instructed.

“Why?” She asked suspiciously.

“Because I'm going to make your headache go away.”

She did as he asked, and while she drank her coke and ate her sandwich (she'd started having ham and cheese sandwiches a few weeks back) he massaged each foot, applying enough pressure to prevent it from feeling ticklish. She couldn't say for sure if he actually knew what he was doing, or if it was just the combination of food and drink and the comforting feeling of being looked after, but her headache was slowly slipping away. She was feeling so good by the time he had finished that she let slip by the fact that she had watched him lick his lips not once, but twice. She knew she really loved him by the fact that deep down, she didn't mind if he won the challenge. But she had absolutely no plans to ever tell him that.

Pam spent the afternoon pulling the past reports that needed to be redone. Jim had made a reasonably sized sale that morning, and was more concerned with keeping an eye on Pam to do much more than shuffle papers and make a schedule for a more ambitious tomorrow. She said that her headache was largely gone, but he could tell she just didn't feel well. He sent her some virtual flowers, and was rewarded with a big smile from across the room. What he wouldn't do for that smile, he thought. He knew he was currently winning their competition, so he decided to give her a chance to catch up. He had to be careful not to be obvious; she would hate it if she thought he was giving her a freebie.

He walked up to her desk. “You need any help with those reports?” he asked, reaching for a few jelly beans.

“No, but thanks,” she said gratefully. “I'm just doing the basics of pulling them and putting notes on each as to what needs fixed. I'll worry about the fixing part tomorrow when I feel up to it.”

“Do you still have your headache?”

She nodded. “A little bit. I took some aspirin about a half hour ago. I think tonight I'm just going to go to bed early, if that's okay with you.”

“Sure,” he nodded. He waited until she was looking up at him, then quickly licked his lips before he continued talking. “I'll tell you what. I'll make us both a light dinner, then I'll run you a nice hot bath before bed. I bet you are just stressed.”

She smiled. “Warmed towels?”

He grinned. “And that that bubble bath you seem to like.”

“That sounds great, actually. Will you be joining me?”

“Naturally.”

“I feel better already,” she said. “And by the way, you just licked your lips.”

He grinned and looked down at the desk. He watched as she recorded it in her notepad. “Where do you want your kiss?” he asked.

She pointed to her left temple. “Right here would be fine,” she said softly. “Maybe it will help my headache.”

He looked around the office. Michael was still out, and no one else seemed the slightest bit interested in either of them. He walked around her desk and knelt down by her chair. “Come here,” he said quietly. She leaned against him as he pressed a gentle kiss to her temple. “I'm sorry you aren't feeling well,” he said, standing back up. He swiveled her chair so her back faced him, and gently rubbed her shoulders for a few minutes. He even snuck in a kiss to the back of her neck before going back to his desk.

Twenty minutes after her neck massage he received a virtual bouquet of roses from Pam. The message read: I'm only down by kiss now, Jim. Get ready to fulfill my wish come Friday night! He knew she was definitely feeling better.

Score at the end of Wednesday: Lip balm, 7; Lip licking: 6.

Wednesday night's plans worked like a charm and so as Thursday morning dawned Pam was feeling like herself again. She was determined that today was the day she would gain the advantage in their competition. Jim had an afternoon appointment, so she focused her morning attentions on subtly shadowing Jim, make sure she caught every opportunity to find him licking his lips.

When they arrived at work she encouraged him to join her in the kitchen while she made her morning pot of tea.

“Do you want a cup of tea?” she asked as Jim stood at the sink watching her.

“You know, that actually sounds pretty good,” he replied. He reached up into the cupboard and pulled out a mug.

She watched him out of the corner of her eye as she poured the hot beverage into his cup. His lips still looked a bit chapped, so she was hoping he'd be distracted enough to lick his lips. She was stirring the sugar in when she saw him do it.

“You owe me a kiss,” she said, flashing him a quick smile.

“For what?”

“You know. I just earned a point.”

“I didn't lick my lips.”

“Yes you did. I saw you as I was stirring your tea.”

He sighed dramatically, but she noted his eyes were smiling. “Where do you want it, Beesly?”

She picked up her teapot and thought a moment. “My knee,” she finally announced. “the left one.”

Jim glanced down at her legs, covered in dark blue tights. “You're going to have to lose the tights then,” he said, picking up his mug of tea. “I'm only kissing skin.” He gave her a smirk and walked back out into the main office.

When Pam followed him out a few minutes later, she was carrying two things: her pot of tea, which was still quite warm, and a tightly balled pair of navy blue tights. As she walked passed his desk she dropped the tights on his desk without saying a word. She sat down behind the reception desk and poured some tea into her cup.

She didn't have long to wait before Jim was at her desk. “Thanks for the present,” he said, dropping the tights onto her desk, “But they're a size too small.”

“Only a size?” She giggled. “So where do you want to go?”

Jim made a face. “Where else?”

The office was still mostly empty as people were in the process of arriving for work, so they walked together to the stairwell. “We probably could have just done this at my desk, you know,” Pam commented.

“Oh, but where's the fun in that?” Jim asked as he held the stairwell door open.

Pam sat down on the metal steps. Jim sat down next to her. “How are you going to kiss my knee from there?” she asked teasingly.

“Pam, relax. It's all under control.”

She shook her head with a smile, leaning back on her elbows on the step behind her. “Okay. I'm ready when you are.”

Jim mimicked her position. “So this thing ends tomorrow night?”

“Yes. Tomorrow at the end of work.”

“And then what?”

“Then we declare a winner, go home, and open the envelopes.”

“Are they still taped to your fridge?”

“As far as I know. Why? Do you want to change any of your wishes?”

“Can you do that this late?”

Pam shrugged. “I don't see how it matters since we don't know what the other has written down. As long as it's legal and possible to do, sure.”

“Since when was 'legal' a requirement?” Jim grinned.

“Shut up,” she laughed. “Did you want to change any of yours?”

Jim shook his head. “Nope. Just asking.” He sat forward, then stood up. “Time for business.”

He knelt down on one knee in front of Pam. “Are you proposing or kissing my knee?” she teased.

He stared at her for a moment. “Which would you prefer?” he said quietly.

Pam flushed, and felt speechless for a moment. “Well, for right now, I'll have to go with the kiss,” she said, “but I wouldn't rule the other option out forever.”

He blushed slightly as well. “Good answer,” he replied. He put his hands on both of her bare knees, caressing them. He leaned down and kissed her left knee, then kissed her right one.

“Wow. Two for the price of one?” She said.

He rested his arms across her legs, his face tilted up close to hers. “I'm feeling generous today,” he replied.

“Lucky me,” she smiled. She put her arms around his neck and pulled him closer for a kiss.

By the time Pam and Jim had decided they should get back to work, nearly everyone had arrived. Angela was coming out of the break room as they exited the stairwell, and the look she gave them spoke volumes as to what she thought had occurred and in particular, what she thought of them and their wanton behavior. Pam thought it was quite impressive that they had managed not to laugh out loud at her expression while she was still standing there.

The rest of the morning was spent with Pam trudging through the task of updating old reports. She kept her eye on Jim as much as she could, but didn't manage to catch any more instances of lip licking. She didn't notice him using his Blistex either, though she knew he had put it in his pocket this morning. Overall his lips were looking better anyway, so maybe he just didn't need to do anything. Still, it was a little frustrating to think he controlled the whole game; her role was just observation. At least there was no dishonor in a tie. All the same she kept her vigil. It wasn't exactly a tragedy to have to look at his lips all day, anyway. They were in fact her very favorite pair of lips, and had been for quite some time. Staring at his lips meant looking at his other distinctive and attractive facial features, which lead to thinking of his body as a whole. And that was never a bad way to spend a morning.

They shared a quick lunch in the break room before Jim left for his sales call. “It's for that big printing company, and I have to drive all the way down to their main headquarters in East Stroudsburg,” Jim groaned, “so I don't expect I'll be back much before five. It doesn't help that I remember this guy being a complete windbag, so I'll feel lucky if I'm even back by then.”

Pam nodded. “That's okay. I've got plenty of report corrections to keep me busy.”

“Well, if you want to have Kelly or someone take you home, I'll understand.”

“Thanks, but I'm happy to wait for you,” she said, reaching across the table to squeeze his hand. “Besides, you can take me out to dinner afterwards.”

“Ah, I knew your understanding had a price,” he grinned. “But I warn you that I'll probably need a beer or three after this afternoon.”

“Deal,” she replied. “You buy and I'll drive you home.”

“I thought we had relationship based on equality, Pam,” Jim said, his eyes teasing. “Why do I always seem to get roped into paying?”

“When our paychecks are based on equality, I'll be glad to pay more,” she replied.

He laughed. “Fair enough.”

The afternoon was long and lonely without Jim in the office. It reminded her of last summer, when she spent day after day wondering what he was doing, where he was, if he was thinking about her at all. Her regrets started to bubble up again, listing all the things she could have done back then that might have made their reconciliation happen sooner rather than later. Might have avoided bringing Karen into the whole situation. Karen was gone now, thanks in some small way to Pam. Had Karen never been able to date Jim, and consequently break up with him, maybe she never would have left Scranton. It was a grim reminder to Pam how doing just one thing differently could affect so many people.

By the time Jim walked back through the door at five forty-five, everyone had left for the night but Pam. She was so happy to see him she practically threw herself at him.

“Hey,” Jim said, wrapping her his arms around her and kissing her. “Good to see you, too.”

“I'm sorry,” she replied, hugging him tight, “I just missed you.” She paused. “It was a long afternoon by myself and I guess I found myself thinking about all the ways I'd screwed up over this last year or so. I mean, between you and me. So many things would be different if I'd just been more willing to take a chance. People wouldn't have gotten hurt.”

“You don't know that, Pam. You can't know that.” he said, kissing her forehead. “You can't waste time second-guessing yourself. And it's not like you were the only guilty party. Just let it go. What matters is that we have now.” He hugged her. “Still interested in dinner?”

“Absolutely. I'm starved.” She stepped out of his embrace to tidy up her desk and turn off her monitor.

“How about Harbor House?”

She looked up. “Wow. What's special about tonight?”

“Nothing. I just thought with all these negative thoughts you've been dwelling on that you might need to be reminded of how loved you are. And tonight is Prime Rib night, if I recall correctly.”

Pam grabbed her coat. “Yes, nothing says love like a big hunk of red meat,” she grinned.

“Maybe they could cut it into the shape of a heart for you,” he replied, helping her into her coat.

“That's a sweet idea, but no,” she laughed as they walked out of the office.

Harbor House was a moderately upscale seafood and steak restaurant that long had the local reputation for being the “special” place to go for birthdays, anniversaries, pre-dance dinners for high school students and the like. It wasn't anywhere near as fancy as a steakhouse in a bigger city, but it always felt like a special occasion to Pam to go there.

While Pam didn't get the prime rib (Jim did), she did enjoy teasing Jim over the “A Tale of Three Tuna” platter. She ended up getting the Shrimp and Scallops Lime Beurre Blanc, which she enjoyed completely.

Jim lived up to his promise, downing four draft beers as he told her about his experience in East Stroudsburg. Pam loved listening to Jim talk about his sales calls, because he made even the most boring story funny, especially after a couple of beers. She was happy to sit at the small table sipping her ginger ale, listening to Jim rant all the stress out of his system. They held hands across the table, and every now and then Jim would lift her hand to his lips. Sometimes it was a quick kiss, usually to punctuate a statement. Sometimes he would just hold it against his lips, as if it were some talisman.

By the time they made it to Pam's apartment, Jim, while not completely plastered, was quite a boisterous drunk. He was very well-behaved during the car ride home, mostly due to Pam's declaration that she would leave him by the side of the road if he didn't behave. But once safely inside the living room, Jim was happily following Pam around, trying to kiss her while she went about her normal routine for bed.

“Jim, just go lie down on the bed,” she said again. This time she was brushing her teeth in the bathroom when he came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. Tightly. He did as she asked, though not before kissing her neck a few times. Pam wanted to laugh, because he really was adorable in this slightly fuzzy, giddy, lovable state, but he didn't need any encouragement.

When she walked into the bedroom he was sitting on the bed. He had started to get undressed, but he was having trouble with the buttons at his wrist. He proffered both arms to her.

“Help me undo these and I'll give you a back rub,” he said.

Pam sat down next to him. “I will do these for you for free,” she replied. She then helped him get out of his shirt and trousers. She got up to grab her nightgown, and as she changed into it she watched him pull off his socks and boxers. He walked over to her, and she couldn't resist smiling at the serious look on his face.

“I am only going to wear one thing to bed tonight,” he said.

“And that would be...?”

He opened his fist. “Lip balm!” He applied it and put the stick on the dresser. He then raised his eyebrows and smiled as if he'd just pulled off a complicated magic trick and was waiting to be praised.

Pam laughed. “Great! Even drunk you score a point!” She walked over to the bed, pulling back the sheets and blankets. “Get into bed and we'll see about your reward.” She turned off the light and watched as he joined her. The light from the street lamp outside fell on his face as he turned to her, and Pam thought that even drunk he was unbelievably handsome. She grinned at the thought of taking advantage of his current state, though she doubted he'd complain if she did.

“So where do you want your kiss?” she asked him.

He looked over at her, and she felt her heart swell a bit. It was impossible not to see the look of love on his face. “Where ever you think I need it,” he said.

“Well that gives me a lot of leeway. What do you mean by need?”

“I don't know - you can just choose,” he replied, yawning. “I will be happy with whatever you do.”

“Aren't you agreeable tonight?” she teased, moving closer.

“Why shouldn't I be?” He asked. “I'm with the girl I love.”

“And you're very cheesy on top of it, I see.”

“Seriously,” he insisted. “You have no idea how happy you make me.”

She kissed him. “I think we both generally agree that we are happiest together.”

He nodded. “Was that my kiss or just a free one?”

She laughed. “Just hush.” She kissed him again, pushing him onto his back. She pressed up against him as her hands wandered over his body. She soon realized that his drinking had absolutely no detrimental effects on his reaction to her attentions. He moaned and pushed against her hand as she stroked him. She kissed him again. “This is the absolutely only time I will permit the single kiss rule to be broken,” she whispered in his ear, “Understand?”

He nodded wordlessly as she pulled the blankets back. She kissed her way down to his waist, then went further. She enjoyed being in control of how much pleasure she could give him. She could tell by his response that she was doing all the right things. His hands were kneading her back, stroking her hair. She heard him saying her name as he got closer to release; first as a cry, then as a caress as he felt her mouth still against him even as he came. When she was certain he was done she laid back on her pillow, pulling the blankets back up. Jim curled up next to her, his arm around her waist, and kissed her shoulder as sleep soon overcame them both.

Score at the end of Thursday: Lip balm, 8; Lip licking: 7.

Pam awoke to the feeling of Jim nuzzling her shoulder and neck. “Hmm, I hope you aren't robbing me of sleep time,” she said.

“Nope, I just turned off the alarm before it went off. It is time to rise and shine.”

“Can't make me,” she grumbled. “And why do you sound so chipper? You should at least have a headache or something from all you drank.”

“I wasn't that drunk last night,” Jim replied. “I was in a good mood, but I certainly remember everything.” He stroked her stomach. “And I do mean everything.”

Pam giggled. “Could you sound anymore melodramatic?” She rolled over to face him. “Well, I meant what I said. That was the only exception to the rule.”

“We'll see. When does this contest end?”

“Tonight at five o'clock.”

“And I'm now ahead again?”

“By one lousy point.”

“One's all I need to win, Pam. I think you are just starting to panic.”

“Not even slightly. I am going to be your shadow today, and I will catch you.”

“Good luck with that, because I will be gluing the Blistex tube to my hand.”

She laughed. “I'm going to take a shower while you apply that crazy glue.”

They somehow made it into work despite Jim's insistence that showering together would save time. Pam knew it was a lie, but it was hard to resist his puppy dog expression, or the idea of him scrubbing her back. They might have had to roll through a few red lights to make up for the lost time, but she thought it was well worth it.

They weren't surprised when Michael announced that morning that he needed the party planning committee to pull together an event for that very afternoon. When Angela demanded to know the reason why, Michael said that Jan would be coming by this afternoon and he wanted to put her in a festive mood before the weekend.

“We can't just throw a party because Jan's arriving,” Angela replied.

Michael gave her a dirty look. “Well then, it's for Creed's birthday.”

The people who had been paying attention at all turned to look at Creed, who was notably absent.

“We don't need to throw a party for someone who isn't here,” Angela said. “Besides, I don't believe that today is even his birthday.”

“It doesn't matter,” Michael snapped. “I'm sure he has a birthday at some point. Just celebrate it today.” He looked over at Jim. “Jim, make sure they get this done. I've had it.” Michael shot Angela a pouty look and walked into his office, shutting the door.

Jim looked up at Pam, and rolled his eyes. “Well, you heard him. Plan a party for this afternoon.”

“Fine,” Angela muttered, walking over to her desk. “The party planning committee will meet in fifteen minutes in the conference room.”

Pam set the phones to voicemail and walked over to Jim's desk. “So you have any suggestions for the party that I can pass along?”

“Yeah, suggest we go with a Sandals Jamaican Getaway theme. Michael will be delighted and will be sure to want to relieve his memories with Jan when she gets here.”

“And we would want to see that why?”

“Well, we don't. But if we get them to retreat to Michael's office, we can probably sneak out of here early without them noticing.”

“Ah,” Pam nodded. “Excellent plan.”

She was about to walk away when he grabbed her arm. “Oh hey, I just noticed I left my lip balm on your dresser. Do you still have one on your desk?”

“Yes,” she sighed, knowing what was coming. “I'll get it for you.” She walked back to her desk and grabbed the vanilla flavored balm and put it into his open hand. He then opened the cap and applied it. “Up by one more point now, Beesly,” he grinned. “And I want my kiss before your meeting starts.”

She glanced into the conference room and saw that only she and Phyllis were missing from the table. Phyllis was on the phone, so Pam knew they'd have to be quick.

“Okay, follow me back to the break room,” she whispered. “But be quick.”

She was standing in front of the vending machine, trying to chose between plain M&M's and a Twix bar when he finally sauntered in. “I'd go with the M&M's,” he said, “they'll last longer in the meeting.”

She turned, open mouthed. “How did you know...?”

“Oh come on now,” he said, standing next to her, “when was the last time you chose anything other than the plain M&M's? I do pay attention, you know.”

“I bought a Twix once. I think it was back in January. You didn't notice that,” she said, sticking her tongue out at him briefly. “Oh, that's right - you were busy pretending you liked Karen.”

“Oh my God, Beesly,” Jim said, the shock evident in his voice. “You did not just play the Karen card.”

She grinned. “Sorry, it just sort of slipped out.”

“Right,” he replied, shaking his head. “I was going to let you off with an easy kiss so you could get to your party planning meeting, but now I think I have changed my mind.”

“I said I was sorry,” she said with a little laugh. “I have like less than five minutes left.”

“Not my problem. Do you want to know where I want you to kiss me or do you want to waste more time debating the issue?”

Pam sighed. “Where?”

He rested his right hand on his hip. “Here.”

She was momentarily confused. “Where?”

He pointed to his hip. “Right here.”

“Now? In the break room?”

“Here or in the stairwell. Your choice. But you're going to be late for the meeting, and Angela will not be amused.”

She starting putting money in the vending machine to get her M&Ms. “Go over to the stairwell. I'll be right there.” She looked frustrated with him, but when he walked out of the room she began to smile. She wasn't nearly as frightened of Angela as he thought.

He was leaning against the wall when she slipped in. “You are still dressed,” she scolded.

“It's not going to take long,” he replied. “It's not like I have to completely disrobe or anything.”

“Well, let's get on with it,” she said. She tried to still sound stern, but she was fighting a losing battle not to smile. She thought she was really going to miss this game next week.

“Oh, you're making me do all the work, huh?”

She stood closer and reached for his belt. “Oh, and what hard work it is. It's a wonder you don't ask for assistance when you use the restroom.”

He grinned. “Can I do that? Because sometimes it's such an effort.”

She laughed. “Just shut it, Halpert. You're spoiling the mood.”

He put his hands on her shoulders as she undid his belt and began pulling down his zipper. “And what mood would that be?” He smiled.

“That special blend of hot and steamy mixed with fear of Angela's retribution.” She pulled up on his shirt while she tugged his trousers and boxers down over his right hip. She looked up at him briefly, then leaned over and kissed his hip, lingering long enough to taste his skin. Long enough to provoke a reaction in him that was evident when she zipped his trousers back up.

“Well I guess I don't need to ask if that was okay for you,” she grinned.

She was surprised when he pulled her against him and started kissing her. It was only the fact that she really did need to show up for that meeting that stopped her from completely giving in. “I really have to go now,” she said against his mouth. He released her and she brushed her hand against his tie. “Not that I wouldn't love to stay,” she added.

“Yeah sure, you're just a tease,” he joked.

“Well you go take care of yourself there, and I'll see you later.”

“I planned on it,” Jim grinned, his eyebrows raised lecherously.

“Take it to the men's room and try not to scream my name while you're doing it, okay?” she replied.

“I make no promises,” Jim laughed, as Pam walked back into the office. She walked quickly to the conference room, where she could tell they had started without her. Angela glared at her as she walked in.

“Sorry,” Pam said, but her smile made it clear that she really wasn't. She opened her bag of M&M's, and made her suggestion that they should make the party Jamaican-themed.

“Had you been on time,” Angela replied, “you would have had a chance to explain the merits of your idea. As you were not here when we began the meeting, I can tell you that we already decided on a theme.”

“I like Pam's idea better,” Meredith said.

“We can't reward tardiness,” Angela sniffed. “We will be sticking to the theme of an English Tea Party.”

“For Creed's birthday?” Pam couldn't help but shout.

“It's not Creed's birthday,” Angela replied. “I will put on this party despite my reservations, but I will not under any circumstances throw it under false pretenses. So an English Tea Party it will be.”

Pam saw Jim walk past the window. The conference room door had been left open and she could see him sit down at his desk. He turned around briefly to catch her eye, and the exaggerated wink he gave her nearly made her laugh out loud. A quick glance around the table seemed to confirm that no one else noticed his antics. She shook her head slightly, and didn't look up at him as they finished their meeting.

Pam opted not to be the one to go shopping and instead headed back to her desk to try and get more reports finished before Jan arrived. She hadn't been working for more than ten minutes before Jim sent her a message:

JH: Mission Accomplished.

PB: I don't think I want to know what you are talking about.

JH: You know. THE Mission. The one you started but couldn't finish.

PB: I had no doubts you were more than capable of handling it.

JH: And handle it I did.

PB: Okay. Enough said, thanks. I didn't need the visual.

JH: :)

JH: So are we a go for the Jamaican party?

PB: What's with all the NASA talk? And no, it's going to be an English Tea Party.

JH: Charming. Do I need to bring my parasol?

PB: And your white gloves. I'm impressed you even know what a parasol is.

JH: What kind of heathen do you take me for?

PB: The kind that feels the need to tell me when he's been 'handling' himself?

Jim was interrupted from responding by the sound of Michael yelling his name through his closed door. Jim stood and shot a helpless look to Pam, then leaned back down to click his IM chat closed.

By the time Jim reappeared, Kelly and Meredith had returned for shopping, and Pam was busy helping them turn the conference room into a tea party. For some reason Angela thought pink, white and grey streamers were appropriate for the theme, and Pam listened while Kelly went on about how hard it was to find grey streamers.

“If you look at the label you'll see that these are really light lavender, not grey,” Kelly confided. “Just don't tell Angela.”

Angela put out the punch bowl and the big silver coffee percolator. “We can just put water in that and it will be fine for tea,” she said dismissively. Several boxes of different types of tea were opened and placed around the pot. Cups were pink and white and light lavender as well.

Angela started making cucumber sandwiches, not trusting anyone else to cut the bread to the right size. There were also chocolates and three different cakes laid out. By the time they were finished Pam noticed Jim wasn't sitting at his desk. She grabbed her own green teapot from her desk and headed to the kitchen to brew a new pot, as well as hoping to find Jim.

New pot of tea done, but not a Jim in sight. She took her lunch out of the fridge, and noticed his was already gone. Now her curiosity was truly peaked, but she had to settle for going back to her desk and waiting it out.

Jan arrived at around two o'clock. Jim was still absent. Pam knew there was probably some good reason - maybe he had a sales call she'd forgotten about, or one that suddenly came up. Still, she felt a little down that he didn't even leave her a message or email about where he was going. It wasn't like him to do that. She continued to work at her desk while Michael insisted everyone join in the party. He was not very impressed with the idea of an English Tea Party, but Pam overheard Jan compliment Angela on the idea. Pam thought Jan had really mellowed out a lot since she started seeing Michael. Pam still couldn't completely understand the attraction, but she knew that Michael did have good points most people just never took the time to see. The fact that they had been together for several months now made Pam think that Jan must have taken that time.

At quarter to three Jim walked back into the office.

“Where have you been?” Pam asked as he hung up his coat. “I've been worried about you.”

He gave her one of those special Jim half-smiles, the one that always made her blush a bit, even after all this time. “I had some errands to do. You could have called if you were worried.”

“I thought maybe you were in a sale meeting so I didn't want to risk disturbing you,” she said. “Besides, I don't want to be one of 'those' girlfriends who always need to keep tabs on you.”

“So instead you just suffered in silence,” he grinned.

“I guess,” she laughed.

“Everything's fine,” he said. “Next time I'll remember to tell you where I'm going.” He jerked his head toward the conference room. “Want to join the party with me?”

They wandered in for a few slices of cake and chocolates, and proceeded to get cornered by Kelly for an update on the Hollywood entertainment scene.

“George Clooney's making this movie about football players way back when, and the photos people have taken of him in this old fashion uniform are so way hot that I know this movie is going to be just awesome!” she gushed. “Renee Zellwegger is in it too, but she's not one of my favorite actresses so I hope her part isn't as big as they are making it out to be. But if it is I'll still go because George Clooney in tight football pants is definitely worth sitting through Renee's bad acting. Oh, and there was this picture of this other guy who's also in it, except I never heard of him. I can't remember his name because it was something kind of funny and ethnic, but it said he was on a television show. But I can't believe that because I'm sure I would have seen him by now. Anyway, he's not as cute as George but he definitely has potential, so maybe there will be two really gorgeous guys in football pants to watch, which makes putting up with Renee completely doable!”

Pam nodded in agreement and walked over to the punch. She poured a glass, but the first sip confirmed her opinion that it had been a bad idea to let Meredith mix the punch. There had to be a full bottle of vodka in there. Jim walked over to her.

“Thanks for dumping me with Kelly,” he said. “I had to feign interest in her ratings system for all the hot guys on television.”

“I didn't dump you,” she grinned. “You just didn't see me walk away. Besides, it was an informative conversation for you. I use the same rating system Kelly does.”

“Sure you do,” he laughed. “I look forward to hearing all about your top picks.”

“Well I know which guy she was talking about in the George Clooney movie, and he's pretty hot.”

“Oh, as hot as me then?”

Pam rolled her eyes. “You wish.”

Jim gave her a shocked look. “Well if you are going to play that way I am going to have to resort to this -” He pulled his lip balm out of his pocket and swiped it across his lips.

“Oh no,” Pam said, sighing dramatically.

“Oh, yes,” Jim grinned. “Stairwell in five.” He picked up Pam's neglected cup of punch and walked out of the conference room.

When she walked into the stairwell he was already halfway up the first flight of steps. “Let's go up to the top,” he told her.

She followed him up to the top level. He offered his hand to her as she approached, and when she took it he pulled her over to the metal ladder that lead to the roof. Without explanation he pinned her against the ladder and kissed her hard, a move that took her completely by surprise and left her feeling slightly dizzy. She gripped the sides of his shirt, enjoying the intensity of it all.

She felt a little dazed when he pulled back. “What was that about?” she asked softly.

“I just wanted to kiss you,” he replied, kissing her jaw on both sides.

“Okay,” she replied. “But I thought I was supposed to kiss you.”

“You'll get your turn.”

“Why did we come all the way up here?”

“Too many people loitering around the kitchen and in the hallway.”

She laughed softly. “I'm afraid to ask where you want your kiss.”

“Guess.” He kissed her again, postponing her reply.

“I told you this morning there would be no more exceptions to the single kiss rule,” she replied.

His laugh was so rich and deep it gave her shivers. “I wasn't talking about that.”

She thought a minute as she rested her forehead against his chest. “Well, I suspect you are looking for a little balance,” she finally said.

“Indeed I am,” he said, stepping back.

She looked up at him. “You continue to surprise me, Jim. I will give you that.”

She put her hand against his chest and pushed him toward the wall. She stood up on tiptoes and kissed him, putting all the intensity she had behind it. She needed no encouragement to undo his belt and then the button on his trousers. She ran her tongue along his lower lip as she slowly moved his zipper down, once again aware of her ability to excite him. He lifted up his shirt as she lowered his trousers and boxers on his left hip. She bent down, her lips moist against his warm skin. She took her time, and nibbled gently against his skin before she finished.

Jim put his arms around her as she finished tucking his shirt back in. “Why don't we just get out of here now?” He asked.

“What time is it?”

Jim glanced at his watch. “Nearly three-thirty.”

“Don't you think that's a bit early to sneak off?”

“I'd be surprised if Michael and Jan are still down there,” Jim grinned.

“But if Michael's gone, who'll be in charge if you leave?” Pam smiled back.

“Ask me if I care,” Jim laughed softly. “Go on, ask me.”

“Jim Halpert, do you care who's in charge if you leave here early?”

“Pam Beesly, I couldn't give a flying fuck. That's how little I care.”

She giggled and wrapped her arms around him. “Okay, if Michael's already gone, I suppose we could leave as well.”

“You go on down, and I'll be along in a minute.”

She gave him a suspicious look. “You aren't going to handle -”

“No,” he interrupted her with a laugh. “But I do need a minute to collect myself.”

Pam returned to her desk as stealthily as possible. She didn't think anyone had noticed that she had been gone. Angela shot her a look as she passed the conference room, but that was nothing new. She noticed that Jim was right; Michael and Jan were nowhere to be seen, and his office was dark and closed.

Pam was shutting down her computer for the weekend when she was Jim come out of the kitchen. He didn't look in Pam's direction, but just sat down at his desk. By the time Pam was ready to leave, Jim had walked up to her desk.

He leaned over the counter and spoke slightly more quietly that usual. “Okay listen. You grab both our coats as you go out, and I'll go back through the stairwell to get downstairs. I'll meet you in the lobby.”

Pam laughed. “Do we really have to be so cloak and dagger about it?” She fake whispered back.

Jim stood up straight. “No, not really,” he said in his normal voice. “I just thought it would be more fun that way.”

She shook her head. “Then by all means, let's do it your way.”

“Good,” he grinned. “Leave whenever you're ready.”

She waited until he sat back down, then picked up her purse. She cast a quick look over the room, but no one was watching. She picked up both coats, threw them over her shoulder and walked out without looking back.

By the time the elevator doors opened to the lobby, Jim was already standing there waiting for her. He kissed her and grabbed his coat.

“Did anyone notice I left?”

“Don't think so,” he replied. “But let's get out of here.”

They had just pulled out of the parking lot when Jim smiled over at Pam. “You do realize that I have won the challenge.”

Pam briefly thought of the two times she had kept quiet about on Wednesday, and smiled. “Yes, I guess you did. Congratulations.”

“So should we eat dinner and then open the envelope, or open the envelope first?”

She could hear the excitement in his voice. “I think we can open the envelope first, if you'd like.”

“Yes, I definitely think we should.”

“Should I start worrying about your three wishes?”

“Worrying?” Jim replied. “Not so much worrying as just opening your mind to the possibilities.”

Pam laughed. “Okay, now I'm worried. Maybe I should have put more restrictions on the wishes.”

“Well you only have to choose one of the three. I'm pretty sure at least one of them is reasonable.”

“I hope so.”

“Can I open your envelope to see what your wishes were?”

She shrugged. “I don't see why not. Maybe the spirit will move you to grant one anyway.”

Jim grinned. “Maybe.”

When they arrived at Pam's apartment, Jim stopped her at the door. “I need you to wait out here for just a minute.”

“Why?” Pam was immediately suspicious.

“I just have to do something before you come in.”

“Jim,” she grinned, “What have you done?”

“Just trust me, okay?” He grinned back at her. “I'll be just a minute or two. Stay right here.”

“Okay,” she nodded. “But this better be good.”
He unlocked the door and told her to turn around so she couldn't see in. She did as asked and focused on watching the cars going by. She kept an eye on her watch, and it was three minutes before Jim came back out. When she turned around he gave her a quick kiss.

“Okay, close your eyes and hold on to my hand.”

“You didn't have the whole place painted green, did you?” She giggled.

“You'll see in a moment. Now come with me.”

She heard the door open again and felt his hand against her back as he guided her over the threshold and far enough into the room to shut the door behind them. He squeezed her hand.

“Ready?” he asked.

“No,” she laughed.

“Go on, open your eyes.”

Pam squeezed his hand back and slowly opened her eyes. She was first aware of a great number of candles lit all around the room. She looked at Jim. “That's why you had to sneak in first?”

“I didn't think it would have been a good idea to light them earlier and leave them burning.”

“Smart man,” she replied, taking in how lovely it all looked. Then a bit of silver caught her eye, a reflection of the candle light against the couch.

“What is that?” she said, looking closer.

And that's when she saw it. Saw them. All over the floor. All over the furniture. And the counter and table and the bookshelves and even the window sills.
Hershey's kisses everywhere she looked.

“Oh. My. God!” Pam shouted. She tiptoed carefully around the chocolate kisses on the floor, almost unable to believe how many kisses there were. Jim continued to stand near the door, watching her with amusement. “You,” she said, smiling. “This is where you were this afternoon.”

He walked over to her, kicking the candy out of his way. “Guilty,” he replied, wrapping his arms around her. “You have no idea how many bags of kisses this is,” he said.

“I'm not sure I want to know,” she laughed. “What possessed you..?”

“You put a lot of effort into our little competition this week, and I had a lot of fun,” he said. “I just wanted you to know you are appreciated.” He leaned down and kissed her. “And that I love kissing you so much.”

“You're insane,” she replied, kissing him back. “Where did you get them all?”

“I ended up having to go to a candy distributor in Wilkes-Barre. This is what about one hundred pounds of kisses looks like. Well, what's in here and what's in the bedroom.”

“The bedroom, too?” Pam tiptoed to her bedroom door and switched on the light. Again, all over the floor and the bed and the dresser and the bed tables. Kisses everywhere. She turned around and hugged him tight.

“I love you so much,” she said. “This is the sweetest thing anyone had ever done for me.”

“Literally,” Jim chuckled.

“But what the hell are we going to do with all of them?” She laughed.

“You'll have candy for your desk for the rest of the year,” he replied, kissing the top of her head.

“This is just amazing,” she said softly. “And crazy. I have to take pictures because no one would believe me.”

“Can we open our envelopes first?”

She looked up at him. “Yes, absolutely.”

They walked over to the kitchen carefully, Pam laughing as she kicked the kisses like they were fallen leaves. She took the two envelopes off the front of the refrigerator, handing her to Jim.

“You open mine first,” Pam said. “Since I came in second place.”

Jim brushed a few Hershey kisses off the bar stool and sat down. “Okay, here goes.” He ripped the envelope open, and read the following list, written in Pam's familiar hand:

My Three Wishes: Choose One!

1. Do my laundry for a whole month.
2. Give me full body massages twice a week for a month.
3. Live together with me permanently. You can choose where.

Jim smiled slightly as he read them, as Pam watched on. “That was a pretty good list, Beesly,” he told her. “Now open mine.”

Pam felt very nervous as she opened the envelope, though she knew it was silly to feel that way.

Jim's angular printing said this:

3 Wishes -

- sex on every desk in the dunder mifflin office
- move in together
- pay for a weekend away at the beach

“Oh my God,” she laughed, and looked up at Jim.

“What are the odds?” He asked, his eyes sparkling.

“Well, I can tell you that your first wish is not going to happen,” she said.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah,” she said with conviction.

“So which one will you chose?”

She looked at his list and then back up at him. “I think it only makes sense to pick the one that I had on my list, too. Don't you?”

“Yes, I do,” he grinned.

“We're going to have to move all these kisses,” she said.

“You don't want to have me move here?”

“Your place is so much bigger it seems silly to do that.”

He shrugged. “Where ever you'll be happy is fine with me.”

Pam picked up one of the chocolate kisses off the breakfast bar, and slowly unwrapped it as she moved next to Jim.

“Then your place it is,” she said, putting the chocolate kiss into his mouth. She drew her finger slowly across his lips. “And may I just say, your lips are looking much better than they did last week.”

He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her closer. He then showed her a whole new meaning of chocolate kisses.
Chapter End Notes:

 

FYI: There really is a Harbor House restaurant in Scranton.



time4moxie is the author of 77 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 22 members. Members who liked The Kiss Toll also liked 2015 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Jim Halpert: More Than The Sum of His Parts. The previous story in the series is Pam Halpert and the Great Forearm Disaster. The next story in the series is Talking Head.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans