- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Improv!Fic Future Fluff - No Spoilers.  Pam receives a gift from Jim's mother. 
Author's Chapter Notes:
Improv!Fic for Ms. Moxie - written because I want my crown back. :)  Fluffy as they come.  Elements listed at the end.  Written in approx two hours...over two days. Started at 9:28 - 10:31 PM on 2/27.  Finished from 7:02 - 8:10 AM on 2/28.

 

Pam never would have imagined it would turn out this way.  Usually it took her a very long time to become comfortable in these types of situations. 

But Jim's family welcomed her with open arms. She knew she shouldn't be surprised, when she and Jim had finally admitted their respective transgressions and cleared up every misunderstanding that had been standing in their way he'd done much the same thing.  Simply opened his arms and let her walk, or more accurately leap into them.

So now, Pam was in the kitchen in her flannel pajamas, her hands curled around a mug of tea.   Jim and his dad had left at first light to go trout fishing.  She shivered a bit, wondering what would possess them to do such a thing in this weather. 

Upon meeting his father, Pam had a perfect picture of what Jim would be like twenty-odd years from now.  They looked so alike it was scary.  His mother was far more petite than she'd imagined but it was clear that Jim's inimitable charm came from her.  Jim was a composite of the two of them.  It made her wonder what their own kids would turn out like.

She sat quietly as the morning sun streamed through the window, smiling as it caught the stone in her ring and cast rainbows across the table. 

Larissa watched her for a moment in silence.  Pam looked pretty as a picture and she almost was afraid to interrupt her.  To say she thoroughly approved of her son's choice was an extreme understatement.

"You're up early."

Pam jumped at the sound of her voice.  "Good morning!"  She gave her future mother-in-law a shy grin.  "Yeah.  I've actually been up for a while. Jim's not exactly as quiet as he thinks he is."

Larissa nodded and laughed quietly to herself. "Never was.  We caught him every time he tried to sneak out in High School."

Intrigued Pam took a sip of her tea.  "He used to sneak out?"

"Notice I said ‘tried'."  She replied taking a seat across from her.  "He wasn't all that successful."

A comfortable silence fell between them.  Even so Pam was missing her typical Saturday routine a little.  If she'd been at home with Jim they'd start the day curled up on the couch catching up on a week's worth of TiVo.  She tried to push down the twinge of disappointment that suddenly washed over her.  This was nice too. 

It was as if Larissa read her mind.   "So what would you like to do today?"

"Shopping?" Pam suggested with a shrug. "I don't know.  I'm really fine with whatever."

"Would you mind - terribly - if we just stayed in?  Maybe watched a movie or something?  I caught the weather report.  It's absolutely freezing outside today."

"I know!!  Why in the world are they fishing then?"  Pam wondered aloud.

Larissa gave her a look.  "Because they are both insane.  I must apologize.  I had high hopes that Jim would not inherit this particular gene."

"We're not going to have to eat trout are we?" Pam asked, her voice filled with trepidation.

"Oh that's so cute." Larissa smiled and patted Pam's hand.  "You actually think they're going to catch something.  It must be love." She gave her a wink.  "Don't worry. I was planning on making Mexican for dinner - I was thinking Chicken Enchiladas.  Sound better?"

"Much." Pam laughed and then realized Jim's mom had gone silent again. 

"There's actually something..." She began and then took a deep breath.  "I don't want you to feel obligated - but there's something I'd like you to have."

"Your guacamole recipe?" Pam asked hopefully.  She'd first sampled it last year at their Super Bowl party and had been mildly obsessed with recreating it ever since.

"No.  You can have that too but I'm talking about something else."  Larissa chuckled and shook her head.  She stood and nodded towards the archway that led to the living room.  "C'mon.  Follow me."

xoxoxo

She led her upstairs and down a long hallway towards a door Pam had never noticed.  When it opened it revealed another staircase.  Realization washed over her.  Attic.  She followed, her hand curling around the railing to steady herself on the rickety steps. 

"It may take me a minute or two to find it."  Larissa said softly as they made their way to the top of the stairs.  "There's so much junk up here..."

"That's fine."  Pam nodded and took a seat on a dusty steamer trunk.  She peered into a cardboard box at her feet and gasped.  "Wow!  Are these actual records?" 

"Yes - actual records as opposed to those ridiculous computer files you kids download like crazy."  Larissa shook her head in disapproval.  "I'm pretty sure James is going to need surgery to remove those buds from his ears.  That reminds me I need to hide those."  Sighing she turned away again.  "My darling youngest is determined to sell my entire collection on e-bay."

"Jim can't possibly sell them."  Pam replied, horror filling her voice.  She pulled an album out of the box and studied it intently.   "I mean - seriously?  The Partridge Family?  These are classics."

"I knew I liked you."  Larissa smiled widely in her direction and then went back to her search.   She rummaged through another box and laughed loudly.  "Oh here is something else you'll appreciate."

Pam took the photograph from her and almost fell off the trunk.  "Oh. My. God."

"Yes.  It's true.  This is who you're about to marry, Pam.  Are you sure you still want to go through with it?"

"H-h-his hair..." She stuttered in reply.

"Platinum." 

"W-why?"  Pam's eyes widened as she stared at the photo.  "H-how?"

"Hydrogen Peroxide."  Larrissa carried a large white box as she made her way to sit beside Pam on the trunk.  She laid it gently on her lap as she leaned over and glanced at the picture herself.  "He was fifteen and bound and determined to dye his hair blond.  Don't ask me why.  I still don't understand it.  He'd done some sort of experiment in Chemistry class and realized that was all it would take.  He rode his bike to the drugstore to buy it himself."

"That is..."  Pam was speechless.  She could not wait for the opportunity to call Jim ‘Blondie' and watch the look on his face.  "Can I keep this?"

"Oh I think that's a given."  Larissa laughed back at her.  "I will say this.  He realized the error of his ways quickly.  By the weekend he was begging me to give him a buzz cut."

"Unbelievable."  Pam whispered as she ran a finger gently across the photo.  For everything I do know, there are still so many things I don't know about him...

Larissa's words interrupted her daydream.  "So.  As you know I have been blessed with two amazing, incorrigible sons."

"Yes.  I am well aware."  Pam conceded.

Larissa's voice shook as she continued.   "I know you've picked out a lovely dress and that your mother probably has something she'll be giving you to wear on that day.   But I was hoping...and again...it's fine if you don't want to..." She trailed off as she lifted the lid to the box carefully.  "I was hoping you might want to use this."

Pam's eyes teared up as she took what Larissa offered.  She held a delicate headpiece, studded with tiny seed pearls and just a bit of sparkle in her trembling hands. 

"The tulle will need to be replaced.  Obviously." She went on, sounding so very much like Jim.  "But it's still in very good condition.  It was actually my mother's and I know that if she were here she'd want me to give it to you."

"It's beautiful."  Pam whispered as she turned and met Larissa's eyes.  "I would be honored to wear it." 

"Good.  Because I'd be honored to have you wear it."  She sniffled in reply.  "Gosh.  We're making quite a pair - if only the boys could see us..."

"They don't understand sometimes you just have to cry."  Pam said with a watery laugh.

"Exactly!"  Larissa smiled widely through her tears.

Pam carefully placed the headpiece back in the box and closed the lid.   She leaned over and gave her a hug, resting her damp cheek on her shoulder and squeezing her tightly. "Thank you so much.  For everything.  Especially that picture."

"You're very welcome."  She replied, laughing heartily even as she wiped at her eyes.  "So...in keeping with this girly theme, why don't we head downstairs?  I've got a complete cache of chick flicks I'm normally not allowed to watch."

"Those boys have been bullying you for far too long."  Pam said disapprovingly.

"Yes they certainly have."  Larissa sighed dramatically as she stood and tucked the box under her arm.  "It's been tough doing battle all alone."

"Well.  Don't worry.  I'm here now.  I'm sure we can take them."  Pam called out after her as they made their way down the stairs.

Chapter End Notes:

guacamole
flannel pajamas
a vinyl LP of The Partridge Family
TiVo
hydrogen peroxide



xoxoxo is the author of 67 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 9 members. Members who liked Heirloom also liked 2231 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans