- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This very short story is the direct result of three things: my current mood this evening, my undying love for Damien Rice, and my half drunk bottle of Coppola pinot grigio.



The characters? Not mine. The lyrics? Not mine either. They are taken from "Elephant" by Damien Rice, who owns the small sector of my heart not occupied by a certain actor with shaggy hair, in the hopes that you'll all take my advice and download this song. Hopefully it will speak to you like it speaks to me.



Other than that... reviews? I like 'em.

Author's Chapter Notes:
Add this to the slew of post Cocktails fic...



this has got to die

The two hour trip home was taken in silence.

i said this has got to stop

He'd gotten Pam's phone call shortly after the basketball game ended. He hadn't been able to think rationally since.

this has got to lie down with someone else on top

Karen was pissed. She wanted to stay and make a few more contacts before leaving. She didn't understand why they had to leave so soon, or why Jim suddenly seemed so very far away. Her revenge was to rob him of her conversation, and pout silently out the passenger side window of his car.

you can keep me pinned 'cause it's easier to tease

Part of him did feel bad for practically yanking her from the party. Twice he'd tried to ease the tension in the car by brushing the hair out of her face and rubbing her neck. Twice she'd brushed him off. It didn't surprise him when he didn't care.

but you can't paint an elephant quite as good as she

Pam's words echoed in his mind and called out from his voicemail. He'd already listened to her message several times. He didn't dare listen to it again, now that Karen was in earshot, but he desperately wanted to. I told him what happened because I think I still have feelings for you. His hands tightly gripped the steering wheel.

"Pam called me tonight." It was best to be blunt.

and she may cry like a baby and she may drive me crazy 'cause i am lately lonely

He didn't look at her, but watched out of the corner of his eye as her face fell against the window. Her shoulders began to shake and he could tell that she'd started to cry. He didn't have to say another word for her to know what the phone call meant.

so why did ya have to lie, i take it i'm your crutch

She eventually was able to find words among her tears.

"What the fuck Jim. Is that it? Is that it then? Just like that?" He glanced in the rearview and pulled off to the side of the road before turning to her. He searched for the words, but they were lost. He looked at her, helpless.

"Was I ever anything more than a distraction?"

the pillow in your pillowcase is easier to touch

He bit his lip and held it there between his teeth. He wanted his feet to be back on the ground, but his entire body felt like it was somewhere else. What was about to take place in his car was important, there were very real feelings at stake, but his heart wasn't there anymore. His heart was waiting for him in Scranton. He looked at Karen and knew. It was over, he was gone, and there was nothing he could say to her other than-

"I'm sorry."

and when you think you've sinned do you fall upon your knees? or do you sit within your picture?

She couldn't look at him. Her eyes returned to the safety of the window as she wiped her cheeks with a single finger. "You don't even care." He reached for her hand, wanting to tell her he did, but she snatched it back.

"Don't. Just, don't."

do you still forget the breeze? and she may rise if i sing you down

"Karen," he tried to still his voice. Tremors racked him now. He felt trapped inside himself. He was a nice guy, damn it. He never meant to hurt her and had done his best to make her aware of his uncertainties, but he'd forgotten one thing; sometimes women fall.

and she may wisely cling to the ground, cause i'm lately horny, so why would she take me thorny?

Karen turned to him, mascara streaked down her face. She kissed him, hard and fast. It tasted desperate. "Please." She held his face in her hands. "Please, don't do this. I don't know what she said to you Jim, but please. She can't love you like I do."

what's the point of this song or even singing?

He didn't kiss her back.

if you've already gone, why am i clinging?

Karen had her answer. She closed her eyes and rested her head against the window, her arms folded across her chest.

"Just take me home."

So he did.

well i could throw her out and i could live without, and i could do it all for you

They didn't speak again. He pulled up to Karen's apartment and she let herself out of his car. She didn't look at him and she didn't say goodbye. He watched and made sure she was safely inside before driving away. As he turned off her street, he smiled.

i could be true

Pam was now only a few blocks away.


Chapter End Notes:
Damien Rice download: 99 cents

Bottle of white, on sale: $10.98

Your review: Priceless


lama is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Elephant also liked 1780 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans