- Text Size +

            She tugged on his sleeve like a child. Sometimes that was endearing. Sometimes he liked that about her. But right now, he wanted to swat her hand away and tell her to leave him alone.

            “It won’t be that bad,” she said. “Come on, Ryan, please?”

            God. The whining. He wished he had known that her voice was this annoying before they hooked up. Why did he think she was shy?

            “My parents get all weird when you don’t come with me to things. And I’ve met, like, seven guys that they think I should get married to instead of you.”

            “Kelly, we’re not getting married.”

            She leaned her head to the side and pouted. “Why are you being mean?”

            “I’m not trying to be mean.” He sighed. “Look, I told you already. I can’t.”

            “I promise, we can leave in time for you to meet your friends.”

            “No, Kelly. Please, just drop it.”

            And she did. Which was weird. Maybe he had pushed it a little too far this time. He watched as she stood up and left the break room without another whimper or another tiny frown. Part of him felt like following her, making sure she wasn’t too mad, apologizing. Maybe he could get her to smile again. But then he’d have to go to dinner tonight, and that was the thing—he just couldn’t do it.

Chapter End Notes:
I'm going to have to stop at three tonight, but let me know if you guys want to see more of these. I heart reviews :)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans