- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sad.

            “I want us to work things out,” he said. “I think we need to give it another shot.”

            She pulled her hair back into a neat ponytail. He had always been impressed with how smooth and graceful her movements were, even when she was angry. She ran her hands down the length of her brown hair and said, simply, “I can’t.”

            “What about Sasha?” He had meant for it to sound like a demand, something strong and serious. But his voice wasn’t made for that kind of tone. God, he sounded so weak.

            “I’m taking her with me. We’ll make a plan, we’ll get things figured out. It will be fine.”

            “Come on, sit down.” He sat down on the bed next to the suitcase she had just finished packing. “I want to talk about this. Really talk.”

            “Don’t use your HR bullshit on me, Toby. I’ve heard it all. I’m tired of it.” She picked up the suitcase and sighed. “I’ll call you tomorrow.”

            “Where will you be staying?” His voice sounded even shakier, even more scared and small. This was why she was leaving him. He wasn’t enough for her. Not even his voice was enough.

            She didn’t answer. She just opened their bedroom door and left him behind, sitting on the bed that he knew he wouldn’t be able to sleep in alone.

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans