- Text Size +
Phyllis sat at her desk early the next morning with the beginnings of a plan in her head. She didn't know how it was going to work exactly or what excuse she would make, but she had a starting point: Pranks.

She heard Jim talking to Pam and looked up to see him leaning over the reception desk. She quickly glanced around the room to see if anyone else had noticed, her eyes finally resting on Karen. It seemed that not only did Karen notice, but she was looking pissed. Phyllis had to act fast before Karen went over to break up the happy couple at the other end of the room.

Phyllis got up and walked as fast as she could towards Pam and Jim. She tried to casually grab a jelly bean, and then gave Jim and Pam a look that she hoped would make them think she had something good for them. "Hey," she said, playing with the jelly bean in her hand. "Are you guys busy today?"

Jim gave her a quizzical look. "Are we ever busy?"

Phyllis smiled back at him. "Oh good! Because listen, Dwight is being extra annoying today and well...I know you guys are good at pranks...I thought that maybe you could help me out?" She hoped she didn't sound like she was leading them on too much, even though she was.

Pam got a giddy look on her face as Jim smiled warmly at her. "Mrs. Bob Vance, it would be a pleasure to serve you," he said in a gentlemanly manner.

"Oh good! Then I'll leave you two to come up with a great idea. I know you won't disappoint me."

Phyllis put the jelly bean in her mouth and walked back to her desk, smiling at herself. She saw Eric with his camera standing by the conference room door. He got the whole thing on tape and as she sat down, she noticed he was focusing on her and Karen. She hoped this would be good material for the crew's presentation next week.

*** *** ***

The day went along quietly until the afternoon when Dwight left to go meet with a client. Jim and Pam gave him a five-minute head start before quietly slipping out of the office, noticed by no one except Phyllis and Karen.

Phyllis thought Karen seemed a little on edge, especially considering she probably didn't know where they were going together. Phyllis did. When she and Bob Vance went out to lunch that day, Bob Vance told her that he had a chair in his office that needed to be returned. Apparently, he ordered a new one last week, but the chair company accidentally sent him a special mini-chair usually reserved for small women like Angela with little hips. Bob Vance wasn't small.

As soon as Phyllis got back to the office, she quietly told Pam to meet her in the women's bathroom in ten minutes. Pam, of course, had no problem following orders and was there right on time. Phyllis asked her if the chair could be of some use, and Pam delightfully told her it would be perfect.

"Jim is going to be so excited! OK, I didn't hear this from you, but thank you so much, Phyllis." She walked out of the door right as Karen was walking in.

"What's she so excited about?" Karen asked sarcastically.

"Oh, I don't know," Phyllis answered innocently.

Now, sitting at their desks, Karen turned from watching "The Jim and Pam Spectacle" walk out the door to see Phyllis looking at her. Phyllis gave her a slight smile and looked back to her computer screen. She could hear Jim and Pam giggling behind her as they came back in with the new chair.

Phyllis heard a little cheer of joy in her head.

*** *** ***

Everyone started packing up their stuff for the day as Dwight was extricating himself from the chair he squeezed into earlier. Somehow, Jim had convinced him that there was a bug going around attacking beets, which then caused beet-eaters to gain a huge amount of weight in a matter of hours. Hence, it wasn't the chair that was small, it was Dwight who got bigger.

Phyllis made sure to get up at the same time Karen did, knowing that she was about to leave with Jim. As they huddled around the coat stand, Phyllis pushed herself in between the couple, turning her back to Karen as she put her coat on. "Jim and Pam," she said. "I just wanted to thank you for your help today. You always do so well with pranks when you work together!" She hoped they noticed the emphasis she put on the "together" part.

"Anything for you, Mrs. Vance," Jim said with a smile.

"Oh, and Pam?" she said, turning slightly while still ignoring Karen. "Do you remember Bob Vance's niece Susan from the wedding?"

"A little."

"Well, I got Susan a red dress at the mall that was too small for her, but it's so pretty that I thought maybe I could give it to you."

"Oh," Pam said, a little stunned. "That would be nice."

"A red dress? It already sounds too sexy to wear to work. I don't think Michael and Kevin will be able to get any work done if you wear a dress like that," Jim said, a smile spreading across his face.

Pam returned his smile with one of her own. "We'll see...Phyllis, I'm a size 6. Is the dress the same?"

"It's a size 6 too! Oh, what a coincidence. This is going to be so great!"

Phyllis heard Karen mutter "Not really," under her breath. Phyllis smiled. Bringing Jim and Pam closer would be great, but getting rid of Karen at the same time would be even better. After all, Karen was the one who was so rude about her perfume from Bob Vance.

She said said good night to everyone and headed for her car. Phyllis and Bob Vance drove separately that day because she told him she had some errands to run after work. In actuality, it was only one: She had to get to the mall to buy a sexy red dress. Pam could pay her back for it later.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans