- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Thanks to everyone who reviewed and helped me with the next chapters.


I don't know what I would have done

(there you stood)

 

She never imagined the city the way it is but somehow traffic and crowds envelope her and swarms of blurred faces splash over broad sketches and fade into grays and blues. A slender light post stretches up from strong dark lines.

 

She walks to work and watches the lights of houses flicker on and illuminate the city before sunrise. Work is quiet in a gallery and she feels herself expanding with the tall windows and open doorways.

 

It’s a marathon of long walks, bills, and almost half dates before she gets it.

 

***

 

Solitude is picking up mail with (only) her name on it and staying up late drawing a tangled fern on her neighbor’s balcony. She eats breakfast at noon and smiles because this is freedom.

 

***

 

Its night and she’s staying in to watch TV and listen to the distant echo of fireworks. Leaning against cool glass she can almost dream of warm sunrises. Hands drifting up to rest under her chin she studies the translucent grayscale reflection because something about cardigan-free days and cool breezes in a quiet apartment makes her happy content.

 

Avoiding jello and laser tag gets easier, and peace in a new velvet scarf makes things too easy. Peace is an echo and things do get easier.

 

Mind flitting forward she yawns, lips curving easily (it’s all in the tiniest victories), fireworks shimmering in the sky. She curls up in bed and this is a fairytale with purple skies and faded memories and distant dreams.

 

This is going somewhere that’s a mystery.

Chapter End Notes:

Please Review!

ETA. I am officially completed this story, there will be around eight shortish chapters in total (unless I lose my mind and take it in a different direction)


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans