- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
You might want to re-read the other chapters before reading this one. There are several edits here and there, so... plus it'll remind you what happening in the background of this scene. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angela stared at the coffee in her hands. She looked so depressed. She and Pam had gone to the nearby coffee shop but after getting their drinks, they came back to the office, only to sit outside in the hallway. Pam decided to let Angela initiate the conversation, but to this point, nothing had really been said between the two women. Pam glanced at the blonde next to her and then at the Dunder-Mifflin door.

"Pam," Angela quietly said. Pam turned back to Angela, who looked at her. "I'm sorry for pulling you into this."

"No. Angela, don't be. I'll always be there for you," Pam smiled.

Angela nodded. She still didn't want to talk, but she knew that she had to. She couldn't keep it bottled up inside. And she trusted Pam. She knew Pam could keep a secret. She sighed, deeply. "I ended my relationship with Dwight."

"I thought as much," Pam admitted. "He seemed pretty distraught about it. He didn't know it was coming, did he?"

"No. And I didn't end it because of him." She looked up at the ceiling and closed her eyes. She softly added, "It was because of me."

Pam was confused. She knew that Angela would never cheat on Dwight and that their relationship had been going on strong. Pam even had to admit that the two were actually pretty good for each other. What was the problem, then? "Did you not like him enough?" Pam decided to ask after a few moments.

Angela looked at the other woman and smiled slightly, "On the contrary, I loved him. I still love him."

"Then why did you end it?"

Angela looked at the floor. I might as well tell her now, she thought. "I went for an appointment at my OB-GYN yesterday morning. Daily routine check-up. However, when I got back home from the funeral, I had a voicemail from my doctor saying that I needed to call her immediately."

"Angela, are you pregnant?"

Angela sniffled. She took hold of Pam's hand. "Let me finish first."

Pam nodded.

"Anyway, it was too late to call back, so I called this morning before coming in work. She wasn't in yet but her nurse said she would call me at the office as soon as she could. I was nervous the entire morning. Even Kevin and Oscar noticed, and those two don't notice anything." She was able to curl her lips into a small smile. Pam responded with a smile in return.

"Andrew Edward Bernard!"

The two stared at the Dunder-Mifflin door. They paused, trying to listen intently at what was going on inside. They heard Phyllis yelling and even Kevin starting to raise his voice--? After a while, it was quiet again.

Pam focused her attention back at Angela. She gently stroked Angela's hand as it was slightly shaking. Angela looked into Pam's eyes and decided to continue her story. "While I was gone at one point of the morning, Oscar had answered my phone. It was Dr. Hughes. Of course, I got upset at Oscar when I found out that he had answered my phone, but I think I turned pale when I heard that it was my doctor. To make a long story short, she told me that my ultrasound test wasn't properly looked over when I was still there, and apparently, I have a small mass in my uterus. She said that it could be a cyst or a tumor. I would have to go in for more tests."

"Angela, I'm so sorry to hear that."

"Pam, it could be cancerous." She held back tears. "And even if it's just a cyst or a benign tumor, there are still chances that I can't have children." She bit her lower lip and added, sincerely, "Dwight deserves to have children of his own and with me, he probably can't. That's why I let him go."

Pam couldn't believe what she was hearing. She couldn't help to tear up at the fact that these two were so selfless sometimes in their relationship. Dwight, who had quit because Angela had begged him to not reveal their relationship and now, this, with Angela. She couldn't stand to see the two really be apart. "Angela, maybe you should talk to Dwight about this. I mean, he-"

"No. He would just be worried and I don't want him to be. This is my problem, and mine alone."

"But he loves you, Angela. Even if you two aren't together, he will still care about you."

Angela started to tear up again. "I don't think I can, Pam. It would break his heart, no matter what I say or do. It would be better if he just never found out."

"Angela, if-" A commotion was coming from their office. Seconds later, the door swung opened and Stanley walked out, angrily, with the journal in his hand.

"Michael, I'm going outside to destroy this vile book!"

"Stanley!" Michael sprinted in front of the older man, stopping him. "Here, let me destroy it."

"No! You never accomplish any task given to you and there is no way in hell that this--" he waved the journal, "--should not be destroyed right now." Stanley tried to side-step Michael, but instead Michael was able to grab the book in the process.

He noticed Pam and Angela sitting on the floor. "Here. Pam, catch!" He tossed it over quickly before Stanley could grab it. Pam stared down at the leather-covered journal. As Stanley was trying to turn, Michael held him from behind.

Angela looked, puzzlingly, at the book. "What is this?"

"It's Pandora's Box and should never be opened again."

Pam and Angela looked at Jim, who had suddenly appeared in the doorway. He looked as though he'd been to Hell and back.

"Michael, let go of me!" Stanley angrily yelled.

Michael let go immediately. He had just thought that Stanley might actually enjoy some rough-play, especially after reading his entry:

It was early in the morning when Stanley walked in. He thought that only Michael, Jim, and the receptionist were there in the front, but I was there, too. I noticed him take a few of his cars and go back into the break room. I followed him, curious, and saw him start to play with the cars on one of the tables. He was grinning the entire time. (I don't think I've ever seen him smile that much, except for maybe on pretzel day. But who wouldn't smile about free food?) Anyway, after a moment, he became sad. "I would have named him, Cody," he said to himself. He continued talking to himself about things like playing cars and doing crossword puzzles like his dad did with him and how he just does these by himself since he has no son to join him. He finally noticed me and said, "My first wife didn't want to have any more kids after Melissa and Susana. We divorced because of it. All I ever wanted was a son." I just nodded. He then waved his hand, "Go away, Creed, and don't mention this to anyone."

"I just thought you might enjoy some man-to-man bonding, Stanley," Michael said sincerely. "I'll be your son if-"

"No, Michael!" Stanley sighed after realizing that Michael was only trying to help. "It's fine. I'm fine. I've dealt with the fact of the matter many years ago. Don't worry." He looked at Pam who had gotten up from the floor. "You have to destroy that book," he said, handing it over to her.

For some reason, Angela became curious and when she got up off the floor, she asked, "Does everyone have a secret in here?"

Jim looked at her. He knew what she could be thinking. She wanted to see either her secret or Dwight's. "Probably," he said. "I mean-"

"You have to get back in here! It's chaos!" Dwight shouted from the office inner hallway. Everyone hurried back into the office, except for Angela. Dwight lingered in the hallway, looking at her. "Are you okay?"

Angela knew that she couldn't keep the secret from Dwight. If this journal had somehow contained this one, and Dwight had heard about it second-hand, he would be devastated. She couldn't do that do him; it had to directly come from her. She walked forward and grabbed his hand. She could hear all the yelling from inside, but pulled him over to where Pam and she had been sitting earlier.

She breathed in and looked him in the eye. It all came out in one breath: "I might not be able to have children. I received a doctor's call today, saying that I have a mass in my uterus and it could be cancerous, it could be benign, or it could be a cyst. It's unknown right now. But because of its size, it might not allow me to bear children." She could see the tears starting to swell up in his eyes, only to have her vision fogged by her own. She let go of his hand and turned away. She quietly added, "I'm sorry that I'm too weak. That's why I broke up with you. You deserve better than me."

"There's no one better than you." She turned around to look at him. His voice was so sincere and so emotional. He smiled. "I love you, Angela Noelle Martin."

She smiled back. "And I love you, Dwight Kurt Schrute."

Then, he did something she never would have expected: he got down on his knee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter End Notes:
Yeah, I'm a sucker for Dwight and Angela. Heh... hopefully, another update later this week.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans