- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Almost finished everyone, one more after this. Thanks for being so patient with me, I hope that this is worth the wait - I think it's pretty fun.

My sincere thanks to xoxoxo, stablergirl, and brokenloon for awesome beta work. Thanks for not letting me slack off. You three make me better, and I appreciate it more than you know.

Still don't own these characters, so please don't sue me. Just having a little creative fun.

 

Chapter 11 - Table for Four

 

Jim reached across the gear shift of his car to pick up Pam’s hand and gently rested their clasped hands on her leg. Despite the fact that they had been together for a little over three months, he was still amazed by the fact that he had permission to touch her whenever he wanted. He could hold her hand in the car. He could nuzzle her on the couch during a movie. He could hold her while she slept.

 

He watched her smile at him warmly and he felt it all the way to his toes. She shifted and moved her hand to begin to play with the slightly curled ends of his hair at the nape of his neck. He loved that she did that when they drove places together; it always made him want to kiss her. He briefly scanned the side of the road and, seeing a small gas station on the right, he pulled in.

 

“Jim, is there something wrong?”

 

He just chuckled in response because it wasn’t that there was anything wrong. In fact everything was more right than it had ever been in his life. He shifted the car into park, “Nothing’s wrong, just…,” he reached across for her and kissed her gently, with a hint of all the passion that he felt for her just under the surface. Pulling away slightly to take in the sight of her flushed and surprised, he said in a whisper, “I just really wanted to do that.”

 

Pam just smiled back at him, her cheeks pink and her lip gloss a little worse for wear. Jim’s cell phone started to ring and they both smiled and looked away from each other to compose themselves. In one fluid movement, Jim flipped open his phone as he settled back in the driver’s seat. “Hey, Mark. Are you guys already there?”

 

“Yes, Jane’s out of control. She’s so excited to meet Pam that she was ready a full ten minutes early.”

 

“Whoa, really? I thought she was born late.”

 

“Seriously, man, get here soon because I can’t take too much more of this.”

 

Jim could see Pam squirm a little in the seat next to him and he reached over to lace his fingers with hers. He knew she was nervous, although he had no idea why. She had already met Mark, and Jane was going to love her no matter what.

 

“Mark, I promise, we’re five minutes away.”

 

“Okay. And Jim?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“You totally owe me. You know that she’s been insufferable this whole time.”

 

“I can only imagine, buddy.”

 

Jim clicked his phone shut and turned to Pam, “Are you okay? You seem…squirmy?”

 

Pam giggled, “Squirmy, is that a word?”

 

He rolled his eyes, “Okay, how about fidgety?”

 

Pam took a deep breath and looked out her window, “I’m nervous I guess. I never make much of a first impression.”

 

Jim couldn’t believe that she still didn’t know how beautiful and amazing she was. He had spent the better part of five years trying to get her to see it, but every now and then her insecurities would still get the best of her. “That’s so not true. I believe that I know someone that you bowled over pretty much from the first moment.”

 

Turning back to him, Pam sighed, smiling shyly, “Thanks. I just hate these meet the friends things. I never know what to say.”

 

Jim gestured with his thumb behind them, “So you wanna turn around? Because I can think of a million other things we could do.”

 

“No,” she said apprehensively. “This is important to you.” Her evident unease bothered Jim; he hated feeling like he was making her do anything she didn’t want to do. Roy did enough of that for a lifetime.

 

Jim traced circles on her knuckles as he focused on her hands, so small in his. He found himself mesmerized for a moment with her ring finger, bare, no longer showing any indentation to suggest that she once wore a ring there. He used to feel such sadness at the sight of that finger bearing Roy’s ring instead of his, but now it was one of his favorite things to run his fingers down the nakedness of it. One day he knew she would wear a different ring there; one that would mean forgiveness granted, second chances, and dreams realized.

 

“Pam,” he cleared his throat, which felt slightly constricted and scratchy, “You have nothing to worry about.” He reached up to brush her hair slightly out of her face. He smiled widely trying to make her believe his words, “Jane will love you because she knows that I love you. And since she talks a mile a minute, you won’t have time to say anything anyway, so no worries. It’s gonna be a lot of fun, I promise.”

 

“More fun than rooftop grilled cheese?”

 

Jim squinted, pretending to think hard about her question. “Yep, way more fun…since I will be taking you home after this dinner is over.”

 

Pam leaned into him and kissed him, placing her hand on his cheek and keeping her face close to his as the kiss ended. “I just want everything to be…perfect.”

 

“You understand that Jane lives with Mark right? Seriously Beesly, if you don’t drink out of the milk carton, she’ll think you’re the queen.”

 

She kissed him again, more urgently, while he wrapped a curl around his finger. She pulled away slowly. “Let’s go meet your friend.”

 

“Well, …we could stay here. Kissing is nice. Forget Jane; she’ll understand.” He moved toward her again, half jokingly, half serious.

 

“Jim.” Pam giggled, moving back toward the passenger side door to avoid his advances.

 

He breathed deeply and put the car back in gear, “Alright, dinner at Coopers, forward march.”

 

*****

 

 

Jim carefully guided Pam through the crowded restaurant to a section in the back where there were a few tables set up in a room with lots of windows. He craned his neck trying to locate Mark and Jane and finally saw them huddled together in the corner; Mark was nursing a tall beer and scanning the menu while Jane sipped some white wine and drummed her fingers impatiently on the table. He had to stifle laughter as Mark picked up her hand suddenly to stop the tapping, but then, as always, couldn’t resist kissing her fingers before intertwining their hands.

 

“There they are.” Jim turned Pam by her shoulders toward the table, “C’mon, you’re gonna be terrific.”

 

Pam smiled as Jim walked her to toward the table; ever the gentleman, he walked slightly behind her with his hand resting at her lower back. Mark noticeably perked up as they approached, “Hey, guys, glad you could make it. Pam, it’s great to see you again.” He reached for her hand and shook it as he smiled widely, “This is my girlfriend, Jane.”

 

Jane stood up and walked around the table, “Hi Pam, it’s amazing to finally meet you.” Jane reached to hug Pam and while Pam was visibly startled at the familiarity, she smiled in Jim’s direction as if to tell him that she was okay.

 

“Don’t suffocate her Jane,” Mark said softly, Jim laughed but tried to cover it with a cough.

 

“It’s okay,” Pam said smiling brightly, “It’s really nice to meet you too, Jim’s told me a lot about you.”

 

“Oh, really?” Jane shot Jim a little look as if to say you better have been nice. “Well, only the good stuff was true.” Jane gave Pam a little wink and went over to Jim to give him a big hug. “Hey, stranger.”

 

“Hey,” Jim leaned in the hug and whispered, “Thanks for everything.”

 

Jane pulled back and smiled at him, “It was all selfish, I needed someone to keep me company on poker night.”

 

Generally speaking, Jim was always grateful to have Jane as a friend; she was like the sister he never had. But, tonight, seeing Pam introduced into this part of his life, Jim felt in awe of how far he had come, how far they had come, and he knew that Jane had a lot to do with it. He gave her shoulder another squeeze and motioned for them all to sit.

 

After the drinks had been served and appetizers had been passed around, Mark and Jim started the inevitable discussion of sports.

 

“So, Halpert, Phillies this week? My place? You bring the beer.”

 

“Don’t I always? Seriously man, just once you could ante up a six-pack.”

 

“I gave you shelter - a roof over your head, food to eat, and this is how you thank me.” Mark choked back a fake sob as he bit his fist. “Ungrateful.” Jim laughed as Mark took a long draw on his beer.

 

“It’s okay, I can’t stand the crap you buy anyway.” Jim had a playful glint in his eye, the same as whenever he pranked Dwight or egged on Michael. Pam smiled at Jim and he could hardly drag his eyes away from her to answer, “Sure …okay, baseball sounds great.”

 

Jane put down her glass and interrupted, “Pam, if you want to come over too, you’re welcome. I create a little sanctuary upstairs while they drink, grunt and scratch downstairs.”

 

Mark feigned offense, “Seriously, I’ve told you, we do not grunt.”

 

“But you do scratch.” Jane said pointedly.

 

Jim and Mark looked at each other a moment and said in unison, “Guilty.”

 

Jim tried to manage a serious tone, although he was barely holding back laughter, “But honestly, I just sort of scratch out of manly duty, Mark is really offensive and he enjoys it.”

 

Mark just shook his head, smiling, “Dude, whatever, all men enjoy the scratching.”

 

Pam giggled and took another drink of her wine. “I’m not sure I believe that there isn’t grunting.” Everyone turned to face Pam, surprised that she had chimed in.

 

“Pam, would I do such a thing? I’m a gentleman after all.” He spoke in an innocent voice and tried to look hurt, barely suppressing a grin.

 

“Uh-huh, not sure I believe that either.” She bit her lip flirtatiously and Jim felt warmth begin to creep up his neck. He met her gaze squarely and raised his eyebrows as if to say “well done.” He had to look down at his napkin so that he could come back to earth. He took a deep breath and looked back up at her, shaking his head ever so slightly, in awe of how lucky he was.

 

“Good girl.” Jane said proudly, shooting Jim and Mark quite a feisty look. “So how about it, Pam? Do you have plans?”

 

Pam looked almost surprised that Jane was serious about the invitation. She shrugged her shoulders, “Um, sure, …I don’t want to intrude on man night or anything.”

 

Mark responded immediately, “Nah, you’d be doing me a favor really. You can keep Jane out of trouble. It would be a real pleasure to have you over, besides my housekeeping has improved since I lived with this guy.”

 

“Please, does anyone believe that?” Jim asked with a challenging tone.

 

“Yeah that’s a load of crap.” Jane smiled in agreement casting a flirtatious look at Mark.

 

“Okay,” Mark said shooting teasing glares to Jim and Jane, “I’ll remember this later…”

 

“Honey, you know we love you.” Jane said hardly suppressing a giant smile.

 

“Yeah honey, you know I’m lost without you,” Jim said with a good natured mocking tone.

 

“Don’t you forget it, Mother Halpert.”

 

“Mother Halpert?” Pam asked, her voice rising teasingly at the end of the question. Jim shot a pleading look to Jane to keep this particular embarrassing story under wraps. Jane appeared to ponder it and nodded.

 

“Anyway,” Jane turned to Pam with a conspiratorial look in her eye. “So, Pam, do you like baseball?”

 

Jim relaxed in his chair and kicked Mark under the table. Mark mouthed back, “What?”

 

“Um, well, I’m not the biggest sports fan, but I can watch it I guess.”

 

Jane leaned in closer to Pam, “How do you feel about chick flicks?“

 

Pam seemed to noticeably relax as the conversation turned to something she was more comfortable with “Well... they’re guilty pleasures, I guess.”

 

“Good, because I generally don’t watch sports in the man free zone upstairs, unless it involves Payton Manning or Kirk Herbstreit.” Jane smiled and whispered the next part, “Although, I always tell Mark that I’m watching the Discovery Channel. What’s your position on Jane Austen?”

 

Smiling widely Pam asked, “Movies or books?”

 

“Both, although I was thinking movies.”

 

“I love the books of course, and the movies, …yeah I totally adore the movies.”

 

“Favorite one?”

 

“Pride and Prejudice.”

 

“Firth or MacFadyen?”

 

“Firth of course.”

 

“Of course.” Jane nodded seriously.

 

Pam leaned in closer to Jane so that Jim couldn’t hear her next comment, “Wouldn’t you kill for longing glances like that?”

 

“Okay Pam… look up.”

 

“What?” Pam said, unsure of where Jane was going with this.

 

“Look at your boyfriend.”

 

Pam looked up to find Jim mesmerized by their conversation, a small smile on his lips.

 

“Seriously, Pam, I’d say that’s a longing glance.”

 

“I guess so, huh.” Pam touched her lips as they turned up into a slight smile.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Yeah.” Pam’s cheeks flushed pink as she studied her napkin, she looked up at Jane, “I’m really lucky.”

 

“Yes you are,” Jane took a sip of wine while she watched Jim and Mark having a discussion about the merits of the designated hitter for the millionth time and she seemed lost in her thoughts for a moment, “We both are.”

 

Jim leaned back from the table and watched Jane and Pam talk across from him. He couldn’t be sure what they were talking about; it was all in hushed tones and laughter. He always knew that they would get along and he was ecstatic to see their friendship growing before his eyes. Of course, he loved being Pam’s best friend, but now he was so much more than that to her, and she was more to him.

 

Pam rarely talked about having friends outside the office. He wondered if Roy had something to do with that. One thing he wanted to be sure of is that she never felt like he was holding her back from living her own life, having her own friends. And if they happened to share the same one - all the better as far as he was concerned.

 

Mark nudged Jim, “Hey, what are they talking about?”

 

“I don’t know, I think I heard MacFadyen…is there a MacFadyen on the Phillies roster?”

 

“No, but there is a McFadden that plays football for Arkansas, and I think I heard Jane say something about Payton Manning. Do you think they’re talking football?”

 

“Hmmm….maybe? Although I kind of doubt it, they keep looking at us.”

 

“Yeah, I think maybe they’re talking about us; dude, you realize we are in so much trouble here.”

 

“Yes, yes we are.” Jim knew he was in over his head with Pam, and now with Jane in her corner he knew he was done for. He smiled, he couldn’t have been happier about it all.

 

 

*****

 

Driving back to Pam’s apartment, the glow of the dash had an almost romantic feel about it. Jim stole a sidelong glance at Pam who seemed lost in thought as she stared out the window at the sleepy Scranton neighborhoods they were driving through.

 

“Hey, penny for your thoughts.”

 

Pam turned to face him, angling her body more toward Jim and reaching for his hand. “I was just thinking about the whole night. You were right, it was fun.”

 

“I’m glad, and you know, I think you made a good first impression.”

 

“Thanks.” Pam looked at him sideways and smiled, scrunching up her nose a bit, “Jane’s a riot.”

 

“Yes, that she is.” Jim pulled into Pam’s parking lot, “I always though you two would get along.”

 

“Maybe… it is a plus that she didn’t quote People or anything. Or try to overhaul my wardrobe.”

 

“Well, not on the first meeting anyway.”

 

They got out the car and walked slowly up the walk to Pam’s apartment. Jim reached for Pam’s hand and tugged slightly as if ask her to stop walking, “Want to sit outside for a little?”

 

“On the front stoop?”

 

“Yeah, it’s a nice night out, don’t you think?” Jim looked up at the stars and the nearly full moon, “Unless you’re cold, are you cold?”

 

She sat down and pulled him down close to her, “Nope, not any more.”

 

He put his arm around her and brought her even closer, her head resting on his shoulder. Jim couldn’t have imagined this night a few months ago, but now it was second nature, like it had always been this way, at least, it always should have been this way.

 

“Pam,” it was more of a whisper, “I love you …you’re just …everything …you know?”

 

Pam looked deeply in his eyes and he felt her gaze, warm, over the surface of his skin, “I love you too.” She leaned in to kiss him and his arms enveloped her.

Chapter End Notes:
Please give me your thoughts! As always they do make my day.  Thanks for reading!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans