- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I had way too much fun writing this. Thanks to Azlin for her lovely advice!
*****

It was a fortunate situation for Pam that things had been easy for her since arriving in Avonlea. What she now thought of as her previous life had been rife with disappointments, both large and small. She had learned to face them and live with them, but living in Avonlea had made her life so much more pleasant. She certainly had her share of little worrisome thoughts, like how her dresses were still woefully unfashionable, but these were tiny disappointments. It was a shock then, when Kelly was not able to join the Queen's class with the rest of them.

 

"My parents think it might be a waste of time and money for me to go to college. Father says perhaps I can join the class next winter, but Mother thinks I'd do better to get married after I graduate," she said to Pam as they walked to school the morning after the mouse incident.

 

"Oh, Kelly, I'm sorry," said Pam, sad for her friend and sad that she might soon be facing a new world without Kelly's delightful companionship.

 

"It's all right, I don't mind. A lot of the girls aren't joining the class, and some of the boys, too. Besides, you'll have to stay at school while I get to go home. You'll love college, though, I just know it. It's perfect for you," said Kelly, and Pam reached over and squeezed her friend's hand.

 

"You'll just have to deal with Katy Pye on your own," continued Kelly with a smirk," Although I'm sure Jim would help you."

 

"What is that supposed to mean?" asked Pam, growing slightly uncomfortable.

 

"Pam, he would climb mountains for you," said Kelly with the maddening air of someone who thinks she knows a secret.

 

"I don't know what you mean," said Pam, "We're just friends and that's all."

 

"Don't you care for him?" asked Kelly, growing more serious.

 

"Ever so much as a friend and not at all in the way that you mean," said Pam decisively. In her mind, this was true. She and Jim shared a wonderful friendship, but it was nothing more than that to her.

 

"He's not the type I'd choose, anyway. I'd love to marry a man with dark hair and snapping dark eyes, with an air of wickedness about him. Of course, I could never marry a truly wicked man, but I'd like it if he could be wicked and chose not to, because of me."

 

Kelly laughed and squeezed her hand. "There's no one like that in Avonlea, silly girl," she said.

 

"Well, I haven't yet met him then," said Pam, and laughing, they continued to school.

 

*

 

The Queen's class blossomed into an actual academic endeavor. Pam was surprised that Mr. Scott was as invested in it as he turned out to be; his methods seemed lackadaisical to her at times, but he really did seem to want to get them off to a good start. They were to meet three times a week after school, and the first two times were actually quite enjoyable, Pam thought. It was a nice, smaller group, and they felt part of something special. Katy Pye didn't even irritate Pam, though she did mention several times that it didn't matter if she passed her first year of college because her father could afford to send her again. Pam had no intention of failing anything, so she worked hard as she always did.

 

The morning of the third Queen's Class day, a Thursday, dawned warm and bright. The students were all working steadily and quietly after lunch when a carriage pulled up in front of the schoolhouse.

 

"Mr. Scott, The Widow Gould is here, what does she want?" asked Dwighde loudly, getting up from his seat to peer out the window.

 

"I don't know, Dwighde, sit down and act like you're working," said Mr. Scott anxiously.

 

The Widow Gould's late husband had been one of the school board members, and she was acting in his place. This was the only reason Pam could fathom that she might be visiting the school, she certainly kept a wide berth around Mr. Scott any other time.

 

"Come in, come in, Mrs. Gould," said Mr. Scott as the Widow Gould approached the schoolhouse door. "Or are you Miss Levinson again?" 

 

"No, Mr. Scott, I'm still Mrs. Gould even though Arthur has passed," said the Widow Gould with a sigh. "May I have a word with you?"

 

"Certainly, Madame," he said, standing up and bowing. She approached his desk and the students were silent, straining to hear what was being said.

 

"Superintendent Wallace would like to have a brief meeting with you as soon as possible, so I've been sent to fetch you," she said, and Mr. Scott looked surprised.

 

"Now?" he said, "But school isn't over yet."

 

"We'll stop by the Stacey farm and have Miss Muriel Stacey come take the school for the rest of the afternoon," replied Mrs. Gould, and the older students glanced furtively at Kevin Spurgeon MacPherson, who grinned and raised his eyebrows. He liked Miss Stacey.  

 

"All right children, I'll be back as soon as possible. Queen's Class, that means you as well. I'll be back to lead you into the scholarly halls of macadamia...er..academia." said Mr. Scott, standing up and gathering his possessions.

 

"Don't be upset, don't cry, I'll be fine," he said the primer students, who looked back at him blankly, having no intention of crying.

 

At the door, he turned around and gave a big wave and a grave smile. As soon as the door closed behind them, Dwighde stood up and moved imperiously to the front of the room. "Since I am Assistant Schoolmaster, I will be in charge until Miss Stacey arrives."

 

At this pronouncement, a few of the smallest children really did begin to cry, and Pam shifted uncomfortably in her seat next to Kelly. Dwighde could do some real damage by then.

 

As she was wondering what to do, Jim unfolded his tall frame from his desk and stood up. "Assistant to the schoolmaster, and I think we should all just carry on as we were. If anyone needs help, ask one of us older students, we haven't quite forgotten everything Mr. Scott has taught us," he said, and the younger students giggled.

 

Pam marveled at how good Jim was in situations like these. He always made everyone comfortable, and he didn't even humiliate Dwighde, which was a nice touch.

 

She continued to study her dreaded geometry, the bane of her existence, and realized she hadn't brought her ruler. She moved to the front of the room to Mr. Scott's desk, knowing he wouldn't mind if she borrowed his own ruler.

She searched the top drawer of the schoolmaster's desk, and not finding it, opened the bottom drawer. The ruler lay on top of a stack of paper, and Pam couldn't help noticing what was written on the top sheet. When her eyes read the words "Duel at Midnight: A Play in Nine Acts By Mr. Michael G. Scott, Professor of Education," Pam knew she had to do something with this treasure trove.

 

She edged the stack out of the drawer and flipped to a page. When she saw what was written, she knew exactly what she had to do. She marched over to Jim's desk and slapped it down, trying hard not to smile.

 

"What's this?" he asked, interested.

 

"It's a play Mr. Scott wrote, starring himself," she replied gleefully, perching on the edge of the desk.

 

Jim flipped through the pages. "Oh, Pam, good work!" he said, grinning widely. She stood up and gave a little curtsy. "You're quite welcome," she said as he stood.

 

"Hear ye, hear ye," he said loudly, attracting the attention of all the students, "I proclaim that the next lesson shall be a lesson in dramatics, as the new Avonlea School House Theatrical Society presents the literary magnum opus of Mr. Scott."

 

Angela looked disapproving and called out, "Mrs. Lynde still says that acting is a sin, Jim Blythe."

 

Jim shook his head, nonplussed. "This is a school lesson, a presentation of the work of our fine schoolmaster. Let's see...Pam, would you play the part of Lady Janet the Fair, and...Oscar, will you be Squire Goldsword? Ryan, you can be Dweet the Simple, and I'll be the narrator."

 

Dwighde stood up at his desk as the other came to the front of the classroom. "I don't think this is a good idea, James, that is Mr. Scott's private-"

 

"Dwighde, would you like to play the lead role of Sir Michael Scarn?" interrupted Jim, and Dwigde looked torn for a moment before he scurried up the aisle, knocking Pam with his elbow in his haste to reach the front.

 

Pam took her place next to Jim as he began to read, "The curtains open to reveal the slain carcass of a dragon, and Sir Michael Scarn enters, waving his sword in the air. At the same time, Lady Janet enters, clasping a handkerchief."

 

Jim handed the page to Pam, who accepted it with a smile.

"Oh, Sir Scarn, you're so brave to slay this giant dragon! I do feel as though I shall faint from awe!" read Pam, handing the page over to Dwighde.

 

"It was my pleasure, Lady Janet the Fair. I do believe your late husband could not have done as well as I," he read, "Now where is my page, Dweet the Simple?"

 

"Here I am, Sir Scarn," read Ryan, grinning, "Oh dear me, I forgot the sheath for your sword. I guess we can wipe the blood off with my tunic! Lady Janet, do you have a spare sheath?"

 

"Dweet, you are so simple. Why do you always forget things?" read Dwighde.

 

"I don't know, Sir Scarn, I guess I'm not as brave and smart as you!" read Ryan, who handed the page back to Jim, who continued, "Just then, Squire Goldsword enters with his gold sword."

 

Oscar, a quiet boy with dark hair read, "Sir Scarn, it is I, Goldsword, to help you fight the other dragons. I don't think I can do as well as you, but I will try."

 

Pam received the next page from Oscar and read her next line with great gusto, "Oh, Sir Scarn, the next dragon is even bigger? Whatever shall you do? I think I shall faint again!"

 

She handed off the page to Ryan. ”Sir Scarn, if the swords fail, you can always feed them poisoned beets!"

 

Dwighde continued with a convincing snarl, "Dweet, don't be ridiculous. The dragon would eat our arms off, and beets are revolting. We don't want to make the dragon vomit! Nay to beets!"

 

Dwighde suddenly put down the script, looking angry. "Jim, this is wrong. I refuse to take part anymore."

 

He stomped to the schoolhouse door and then turned to face everyone again. "My uncle brought me some firecrackers from Charlottetown, so if anyone wants to see a real show, come outside."

 

"That's right, it's time for school to end," said Jim, and most of the students gathered their things to go. Kevin ran out the door to help Dwighde with the firecrackers.

 

A few of the older students remained, Pam included. She had no desire to be outside when Dwighde burnt off his fingers, and she could see it through the window anyway. A few loud bangs and a smattering of applause told them that Dwighde's show was over.

 

"Well, I'm not staying for the Queen's class if there's no teacher," said Katy Pye, "I'd rather go home."

 

She flounced out the door, and Pam wasn't sorry to see her go. "I suppose someone should wait here for Miss Stacey or Mr. Scott," said Toby Sloane.

 

"I'll stay, I'd like to get some studying done," said Pam. Toby looked down sadly. "I can't stay. I've got to take my sister home today and watch her, Mother and Father won't be home from Newbridge until evening," he said, looking gravely disappointed.

 

"I'll keep you company, Pam, I don't mind studying here either," said Jim, and Toby turned away without a word, shoulders drooping.

 

One by one, the Queen's class students drifted out the door, not wanting to stay if there was no teacher. When Kevin, who had been waiting anxiously for Miss Stacey, reluctantly bade them goodbye, Pam looked up from her geometry and realized that only she and Jim were left. "Do you think we should leave?" asked Jim from across the aisle.

 

"I don't mind staying until Miss Stacey or Mr. Scott comes back," said Pam, "It's nice and quiet for studying."

 

"It certainly is. Are you hungry?" asked Jim, and Pam nodded." A little. By this time of day, Phyllis usually has something for tea for me. She says I need meat on my bones."

 

Jim grinned. "Well, you're perfect as is, but if you don't mind waiting a few moments, I'll be back before you get five more problems done. Are you up to the challenge? Five problems for some food?"

 

Pam laughed. "I think I can do it, Mr. Blythe."

 

Jim left, and Pam moved herself and her geometry out to the porch and sat on the steps, liking how the sunlight streamed on the pages and made her slate warm to the touch.

 

She was finishing up the fifth problem and starting on the sixth when Jim reappeared, out of breath but triumphant. "Here I am, bearing nourishment," he said, sitting next to her on the steps.

 

"Nice try, but I win. I've started the sixth problem," said Pam, showing him her slate.

 

"Now Miss Shirley, boasting is a sin, so just pipe down and eat your fancy bread and cheese," replied Jim, handing her a slice of warm bread and cheese.

 

"Where did this come from?" asked Pam, taking a bite.

 

"You might be amazed at what a handful of wildflowers and the promise to weed her rose garden does for Mrs. Allen. I told her you were simply fainting with hunger, so she sent the bread and cheese, and also these," he said, dropping four molasses cookies onto Pam's apron.

 

"Thank you, that was very gallant of you, Sir Scarn," teased Pam, and Jim bowed his head. "Humbly, my fair Lady Janet."

 

The two sat in silence and ate every delicious morsel of bread, cheese and cookie as they watched the sun sink closer to the trees.

 

When they couldn't see the sun anymore, Pam wrapped her arms around herself to warm herself from the slight chill. "I guess we should go home, I don't think they're coming back," she said.

 

"You're probably right. It's getting dark, I'll walk you home," said Jim, and they retrieved their belongings from the schoolhouse. Jim pulled the door tightly closed behind them, and they set off down the road.

 

"I never thought that this day would include a literary masterpiece by our very own schoolmaster," said Jim, and Pam laughed.

 

"Poor Dwighde. I hope he didn't realize how close ‘Dweet’ was to his own name, and I think he was truly hurt by the slight against beets."

 

"I know it isn't well to speak ill of our teacher, but subtlety is not one of Mr. Scott's talents," said Jim, shaking his head.  

 

"I hope his meeting with Superintendent Wallace went well, if he's unhappy, then he might not finish the play," said Pam, "And we'll never find out what happened between Lady Janet and Sir Scarn, and whether the biggest dragon was slain with…poisoned beets."

 

“Too true,” said Jim, “You’ve got to admire Mr. Scott for being so persistent, but it is a little sad sometimes.”

 

Pam laughed but said nothing, and the friends walked in silence for a few moments.

 

Suddenly Jim stopped and rested his hand on Pam’s arm to stop her. “Listen,” he said quietly, “The choir is practicing.”

 

Pam cocked her head toward the church, and heard lilting voices lifted up in a beautiful hymn. The music was always Pam’s favorite thing about church; she loved the warm feeling it gave her and it always made her feel so safe. She closed her eyes and felt the song and the wind blow over her.

 

She began to sway very slightly with the music, feeling very warm inside. She swayed quietly and as the hymn finished, she slowly opened her eyes and realized that Jim’s eyes were closed and he was swaying as well. They were standing very near each other and Pam didn’t know what to do. Her stomach had a queer ache in it.

 

The choir director’s voice broke the spell that seemed to have washed over them, and Jim opened his eyes. “I guess we’d better keep going,” he said, not looking her in the eye. “Yes, Phyllis and Bob will be worried if I’m too much later than this,” said Pam, and her voice seemed so loud. 

 

The air seemed colder now that they were walking, and she shivered inadvertently. Without a word, Jim draped his woolen sweater over her shoulders and she felt warm.

 

They walked in silence to the gate at Green Gables, and then Pam finally spoke. “Thank you for walking me home,” she said, handing him his sweater.

 

"You’re welcome,” he said, giving her a small smile. She waved as she walked down the path to the house, and he waved in return. Her mind flashed to the conversation with Kelly that morning, and the queer ache returned to her stomach.

 

She had no idea what to think, but she felt as though she and Jim had shared some sort of otherworldly experience outside the church. A realization came to her, and she smiled at this new thought. Jim was as good a friend to her as Kelly. While they could laugh and joke, they also shared the ability to be together in silence. She felt that she now knew what delightful friends boys could be, and she felt that their friendship would be one for the books, as they say.

Chapter End Notes:
I appreciate all who take the time to read this! I really do thank you for all of your support.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans