- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I really, really liked writing this chapter. Several more to follow!
Thanks to the creators and writers for these characters-I support the WGA!

 Before she even realized what was happening, the world was soon blanketed in snow, and Pam's first semester at college was nearly finished. She prepared for her exams in any spare moments she had, which Roy grumbled about a little, but he was proud that she was doing so well, and she knew he didn't really mind. Her art supplies gathered dust in a corner of her bedroom, and she often assured herself that she'd have more time next term to draw and paint.

 

One Sunday afternoon, she was wrapped in a quilt and sitting at her little desk, which she had moved next to the stovepipe. Her geometry book was propped against the vase of Roy's latest bouquet. Geometry had once been the bane of her existence, but then she began to see the patterns and art in it, which sounded silly. Roy had laughed and tweaked her nose when she tried to describe the beauty of geometry, but she found that she didn't mind studying it any more.

 

There was a knock at her door, and she bade the knocker to enter; she turned as Meredith and Katy Pye stumbled in, apple-cheeked and breathless. "Hello, Nose-to-the-Grindstone Shirley!" cried Katy, removing her tam and shaking out her perfectly smooth auburn curls.

 

"Pam, have you heard? There's going to be a Christmas Ball right after term ends," said Meredith excitedly. "There'll be an orchestra and punch, too!"

 

Geometry was instantly forgotten. "I hadn't heard," said Pam, heat rushing into her cheeks. "I hope I'll get to go."

 

Katy rolled her eyes. "Stop being so coy, Pam, you know Roy is going to ask you. But you'd better make him ask you quickly, because Toby Sloane told Angus Fisher that he wanted to invite you. Toby never does get the hint, does he?"

 

Pam's mind was still reeling with thoughts of the ball. If Roy did indeed invite her, she could wear her blue gown, which had been hanging in the cupboard all semester. She could wear her hair up and wear the beautiful necklace of pearls Bob and Phyllis had given her for Christmas last.

 

"-Jim Blythe has already asked Karen Stuart," said Katy, and Pam snapped back to the conversation. "And I just can't decide between Alec and Alonzo, they're both perfectly silly about me," finished Katy.

 

"Well, I've made a promise with one of the boys that we'd go to the first dance together, only now I can't remember who it was!" laughed Meredith, and Katy giggled. "I'm wearing my green silk," she said, "Pam, show us your blue dress again."

 

Thus the conversation turned from boys to clothes, and Pam heard no more about Jim Blythe. Not that it mattered what he was doing or whom he was keeping company with, Pam thought he was doing just fine without her friendship. She just wished she could have one of their old jaunts and talks every once in awhile. She busied herself showing the girls her blue dress and thought no more about it.

 

*

 

It soon transpired that Kelly would be permitted to come to the dance as well, as long as she stayed the night with her aunt Josephine, rather than in Pam's boarding house. "But you'll stay with Aunt Jo as well, I'll need you there with me!" she wrote.

Ryan would be escorting Kelly to the ball, and the letters fairly flew between Queen's and Avonlea for the next few weeks.

 

Angela refused to entertain the thought of the ball; when asked about it, all she would say was "Oh, Dee," through her tears. Katy and Meredith tried to figure out who Dee could be; they were stuck between Donald Finnegan and Daniel Fowler. Pam had her suspicions, but she never voiced them.

 

The very day after she found out about the ball, Roy asked her to go, or rather, he asked what time he should pick her up in his buggy and what color her dress was. This meant flowers, Pam knew, and she could hardly believe she was adult enough to attend a real ball. This would be no country dance next to a barn; this would be a real Event in her life.

 

It proved to be a challenge to concentrate on studies and not let her mind wander to frivolous things, but Pam managed to study hard, and after her final exam was over, she felt a sigh of relief was over her body. She had done well, she knew it, and she carried an extra spring in her step as she went to meet Kelly's train.

 

It was a lovely reunion; both girls hugged and nearly wept, as they had seen each other only twice all term. Pam couldn't describe how nice it was to have a vestige of her Avonlea life in the flesh with her, bringing the comforts of home. She would accompany Kelly home tomorrow and have four glorious weeks in Avonlea for the holidays.

 

It soon purported that Aunt Josephine was a wonderful hostess; she took a great interest in their plans for hair and dress, pausing before she left the room to say, "Ah, to be young again and going to a ball!"

 

"I always remembered her as being an old crab apple," said Kelly, shrugging and fluffing her gown. "Here, Pam, can you fix the back of my pompadour? It's not pomping just right."

 

The girls soon made it to the parlor, pink-cheeked and nervous. Pam was afraid someone would point out that they were really just two little girls playing dress-up, and Kelly shrieked in mock indignation. She quieted down as they entered the parlor, where Roy and Ryan were waiting, flowers in hand.

 

Pam accepted Roy's roses of the vividest red, and slid one in her hair. As she pinned one on her dress, she wondered if she looked ridiculous and overdone. Roses were so showy, and Pam's mind conjured up a memory of a summer's walk with Jim Blythe, Pam's arms full of delicate June lilies. Those suited her much more, she thought, but instantly reminded herself that Roy was very kind to give her roses. She smiled up at him and he looked delighted that she was so happy.

 

They endured the snapping cold to ride in the buggy, and Pam got the feeling again that she was just a little girl playing grown-up as Roy helped her alight from the buggy. Inside the hotel, the atmosphere was warm and bright, and the Ladies' Aid had done a lovely job decorating with evergreens and ribbons.

 

Pam and Kelly received their dance cards, and Roy took as many as was proper on Pam's. Ryan took one, and Toby nervously asked her for one as well. She strung the ribbon around her wrist, letting it dangle next to her hand. Katy and Meredith came bustling over just as Pam spotted Jim Blythe walking in with Karen Stuart. Karen looked lovely in a dark red dress, which suited the rich tones in her skin and hair. She also carried herself with an air that Pam knew she herself could never achieve.

 

The girls excused themselves, herding into the powder room together. Katy ran a handkerchief over the bridge of her nose and pinched her cheeks. "That Karen Stuart looks as vain as a peacock, strutting next to Jim Blythe," she said.

"I think she looks nice, but you know, Pam, I always thought you and Jim would make a pair someday," said Meredith, sipping her punch.

 

"Don't be silly, Meredith. Jim goes for the pretty, flashy girls, not quiet ones like Pam," said Katy, quite unaware of the slight against Pam. Unfortunately, the remark still rankled Pam's skin.

 

"Pam could make Jim Blythe dance with her just like that," said Kelly, snapping her fingers and coming to Pam's rescue.

"I'd like to see that! They haven't spoken all term," said Katy, shooting Pam a disdainful look. Pam squared her shoulders and looked at Katy. "Just you watch then," she said, and Kelly gave her an encouraging smile.

The girls left the powder room in a cluster, and Pam saw Jim standing like a tree on the other side of the room. "Go on, unless you're too cowardly," whispered Katy, watching Jim and poking Pam in the back. Pam hesitated and Katy poked her again. "She's not too cowardly," said Kelly, and she grabbed Pam's hand and dragged her away. Pam looked back at Meredith and Katy; Meredith gave her an encouraging smile and Katy just looked skeptical.

 

"Come on, " hissed Kelly, and Pam had no choice but to follow her. As they approached Jim, Pam put on what she felt was a becoming, beckoning smile and was very surprised when Jim seemed to see right past her. She tried to catch his eye, but it was focused beyond her.

 

He made no notice of them until they were right next to him. Pam cleared her throat just a tiny bit, and Jim turned to them. "Kelly! How wonderful to see you again," he said, grasping Kelly's hand warmly. "Did you come up from Avonlea for the night? You must give me a dance later. If you'll excuse me."

 

He smiled at Kelly once more and moved quickly out of the room. Pam was stung. Kelly slipped her arm sympathetically around her waist as Roy moved toward them. Pam had only seconds to rearrange her face into a pleasant expression, and she smiled warmly up at Roy as he took her hand for their first dance.

 

He was a good dancer, not as light on his feet as she remembered Jim being, but he was a strong leader and seemed to be enjoying himself. They waltzed and two-stepped, and Pam was relieved when Roy excused himself to the washroom. She fanned herself with her dance card and decided to get a bit of air. She waved at Kelly, who was blissfully whirling in Ryan's arms.

 

She walked out onto the veranda, relishing the cold air on her face and arms. She puffed her breath, making smoke, which reminded her of Bob's pipe, making her homesick and excited at the prospect of going home. She wasn't looking as she moved over to the porch railing and realized she was not the only one out there.

"Jim," she said, surprised, before she could think, setting her dance card on the railing.
He looked at her, startled. "Pam, hello. Er, how are you?" he said, not quite meeting her eye.

"I'm doing well, thank you," said Pam, and she hated the uncomfortable feeling in her stomach. She missed their old, easy banter, and she was suddenly tired of this sudden strangeness. Before she could stop herself, she found herself asking, 'Why didn't you say hello to me inside?"


He looked in her eyes for the first time that night, for the first time in months, in fact. "Please. I knew what was going on with you and the other girls. I wanted the first time we spoke again to be because you wanted to, not because Katy Pye dared you to," he said, a small smile playing on his face, and Pam blushed. "How did you know?" she asked.


Jim shook his head. "I know Katy Pye," he said simply, and Pam nodded. "How do you like school?" she asked, not knowing what else to say and wanting to change the subject from Katy Pye's unfortunate habit of daring.

 

"I like it well enough, though it's strange to have professors who aren't Mr. Scott," said Jim, and Pam smiled. "I do miss him sometimes, though I'm relieved at not being called Pamelangelo every day," she said.

"How is your artwork?" asked Jim, "Have you drawn anything new lately?"

 

Pam looked down at the veranda floor. Snow had blown in and she could see their footprints. "I haven't had time, really," she said.

"Oh," he said, and something in his tone made her want to confess more. "There's an art class every Saturday at the art gallery downtown," she said.

"Really? That's wonderful! I think you should do it," he said instantly, giving her an encouraging smile.

She felt shy again. "I've thought about it, but I'm busy with my studies, and Roy thinks it's silly. He likes me at the rugby matches," she said, not thinking, and then she looked at Jim with wide eyes.

 

"Roy said that?" Jim asked, frowning.

 

"He's right, I doubt I'd be as good as anyone else, and it's just a hobby of mine, nothing serious," she said, wanting to wipe that look from his face.

He sighed. "You've got to try sometimes, Pam. You'll never know what might happen until you do."

 

She was slightly irritated by his tone. Who was he to tell her what to do, when he hadn't deigned to speak to her in months?

 

"What's it like beauing around the most beautiful girl at the ball?" she asked, lifting her chin to meet his eyeline.

 

He said nothing, simply held her gaze for a long while, and she couldn't bring herself to break it. He opened his mouth as though to speak, but closed it again, and she shivered. "I'm cold," she said, teeth chattering, and he smiled sadly at her as she walked back into the hotel.

"Good night," he said, and she nodded at him, ducking inside. "Good night, Jim." She never did see where her dance card disappeared to as he slipped it into his pocket, and she never missed it.

 

Once inside, she found herself swept into Roy's arms. "There's my best girl," he said, and Pam turned her attention back to her handsome beau and tried to forget the unpleasantness of the previous moments. This proved to be unsuccessful, and it weighed on her mind for the rest of the dance.

 

In the buggy on the way back to Miss Josephine Barry's home, Pam broached the subject of art classes with Roy once more. "Roy, I thought perhaps I'd try those art classes on Saturdays next term," she said, and he looked sad.

 

"Aw, Pam, the ice hockey team starts next term, and I was looking forward to having you at the games. The fellows call you "Good Luck Shirley" and it's fun to have you watch," he said, alighting from the buggy and helping her down. 

"I know, I like watching, but I think I'd like to try out the classes," she said, almost firmly.

 

"All right. It sounds awful to be cooped up inside on the weekend, but promise me you'll skip a few classes to watch some of the games; we have to have the cutest cheer leader there sometimes," Roy answered, tweaking her nose a bit.

 

Pam didn't say anything; Roy was looking down at her and smiling nervously, and before she knew what was happening, he drew her close to him and kissed her. He drew away and she felt her face get hot. "Merry Christmas, Pam," he said, squeezing her hands. "Merry Christmas," she said, and he climbed back into the buggy, smiling.


Kelly grabbed her arm and dragged her inside. "Pam! He kissed you! How was it? Isn't it lovely to be in love?" she squealed, and Pam laughed at her. "It happened so fast, but it was lovely," she said.

Truthfully, all that had registered at the moment was that his lips were slightly scratchy, but now she realized the magnitude of what had happened. Of course, Kelly was right, it was lovely to be in love.

 

They undressed and climbed into bed in Aunt Josephine's spare room, and Kelly giggled when she blew out the candle. "You'll have sweet dreams tonight," she said, and Pam smiled into her pillow.


She drifted off to sleep thinking of how it felt to be dancing in Roy's strong arms, and of course, the kiss, but her dreams that night were full of June lilies, paintbrushes, and Jim. Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, none of these images remained as she awoke, and she never realized they had been there.  

Chapter End Notes:

Thank you SO much for sticking with it, and for enjoying it! I appreciate all of your reviews, I love getting feedback. You guys are awesome. I'm sorry I'm making you suffer through so much Roy ;-)

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans