- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This was the chapter I looked forward to writing most so far!

This is for Azlin, xoxoxo, supervixen, ElizabethLynn, nqllisi, kth201, Morning Angel, lianhanshee, Caro84, soverykitsch, janelle, desert island, kathrynann, PamheartJim and the lovely dominantmalekitty for your support, and encouragement. Thanks to everyone for reading!! You know I love you all...
*****************************************

Pam spent the rest of the week in bed and on the sofa in the parlor, resting her ankle per the doctor's orders. She was vexed at having to miss school but a part of her was relieved that she didn't have to see Jim or Katy. Kelly visited her every day after school and brought little notes and bouquets from the other girls. Little Sasha Sloane had made her a card that said "Get Wel Pan' in big, shaky letters. Phyllis and Bob had a good laugh from that one.

That Friday afternoon, Pam had set aside her schoolbooks in favor of her sketch book and was drawing the birds nesting in the cherry tree just outside the parlor window. Bob had brought her a box of beautiful colored pencils, and she was trying to find the right tone of shading for the leaves.

She heard a commotion in the kitchen and Kelly came bursting into the parlor, followed by Phyllis. "Pam!" cried Kelly, handing her an folded piece of paper, "It's such good news!"

Mystified, Pam opened the paper to see Mr. Scott's scrawling handwriting. She began to read aloud, for Phyllis was looking on in anticipation and Kelly was bouncing on the balls of her feet.

"Dear Pamela," she read, making a face, "You are cordially invited to attend an afternoon tea and also an awards ceremony at the same time on the last day of school. Students are invited to bring their teas and sweets to school, and ice cream will be provided by yours truly. Can you inform Mr. Vance that I'll be along to order some ice cream? Sincerely, Mr. M.G. Scott, Schoolmaster."

Kelly clapped her hands. "Mr. Scott said he's calling it a tea because he's not allowed to have any more parties this year, but it means we get to end lessons early!" she crowed. 

Pam smiled delightedly. "I've never been to a real tea party,” she said happily, and Phyllis matched her smile. "We'll have to make you a real nice basket to bring," she said, and Pam's head was filled with the delights of anticipation once more.

Part of her was glad that she was laid up with her ankle all weekend because it provided her with additional studying time. She would much rather have been climbing the cherry tree to get a better look at the birds in their nest, but she was fueled by the desire to do well on her exams. She didn't know what kind of awards Mr. Scott was planning on distributing, but the thought it would be awfully embarrassing not to win one.

On Monday, Bob Vance drove Pam and Kelly to school in his buggy; Pam's ankle was much better, but the long walk to school would be too much for it.  He helped her down and as he drove off, Pam was hailed as though she had been gone for a year, rather than merely a week.  The girls all hugged her and Toby Sloane came over to her and said, "I'm real glad you're feeling better, Pam."

"Thanks, Toby," she said, smiling politely at the gangly boy. Behind him, she saw Jim watching, and when he caught her eye, he gave her the half- smile and turned away.

The high point of the day was when an abashed Katy Pye walked over to her and said, "Pam, I'm sorry that I dared you and that you got hurt."

Pam smiled sugary-sweetly at her and said thanks, and they walked into school.

The school day had a different feel to it. For once, Mr. Scott wasted no time in getting them situated with their examinations. Hot sunshine poured through the windows and Pam concentrated as hard as she could as sweat dampened her dress and hair.

It was nicer than usual to go back to Green Gables and have a lovely supper, and the next day continued in the same vein. The dinner hour was rather lively, and it was such a relief when their final examination was finished that Kelly and Pam sang the whole way home.

That night, Phyllis helped Pam pack a nice basket for the tea party the next day. Phyllis had made berry tarts and some small cakes and Pam tucked them carefully in the basket. "Phyllis, what shall I take to drink?" asked Pam. 

Phyllis smiled. "For a treat, you may take some of my raspberry cordial. It's in the cupboard with all the preserves on the top shelf. Pour a good amount into an empty milk bottle, and be sure to take a tumbler with you. It’s not ladylike to drink from a bottle," she said as she turned to exit the kitchen toward the barn. 

Pam grinned delightedly. "I've never had raspberry cordial, it sounds just divine!" she said to Phyllis, who headed toward the barn.

Alone in the kitchen, Pam looked for the cordial. She moved all the jars of preserved on the top shelf, but found no cordial. She searched every nook of the cupboard and emerged triumphantly with a dusty bottle of deep burgundy liquid. Phyllis had been mistaken; it had been way in the back of the bottom shelf. She opened the top and filled a clean milk bottle. She was sorely tempted to taste it; it smelled so interesting, but she knew it would taste even more special if she waited just one more day.

*

A buzz hung around the schoolhouse next day as everyone helped clean the schoolroom and tidy things for the summer. Mr. Scott let some of the smaller girls go out and pick flowers to decorate for the awards ceremony while the other students cleaned inside. Pam and her friends swept and dusted the cloakroom.  

Pam glanced out at one point to see Mr. Scott and Jim with an array of ribbons spread on the teacher's desk, along with a jar of paint. They were discussing something, and Mr. Scott sighed loudly and crossed something out on one of the ribbons.

Soon, the afternoon sun was making patterns on the floor, and Mr. Scott clapped his hands together. "All right, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it's teeea time!" he called, as Dwighde exited the cloakroom and moved up to the front of the room with a large brass instrument.

"Dwighde, what is that?" called Kevin Spurgeon MacPherson.

"This is my Almenraeder bassoon, and I shall be accompanying Mr. Scott in a musical selection," replied Dwighde, removing a small piece of something from his mouth and inserting it into the mouthpiece. He blew a few notes and then he and Mr. Scott launched into a rendition of '"Bringing in the Sheaves", the likes of which Pam had never heard before.

"Bringing in the teas, bringing in the teas, you may go-oo to the cloakroooom and start bringing in your teas!" sang Mr. Scott loudly, with an operatic air that just made things worse.

The students followed his directions, given via song and frantic gesturing toward the cloakroom, moving in a group. As they waited their turns, Pam heard Jim say quietly behind her, "It's a pity. I used to really like that hymn." She laughed before she realized what she was doing, and hurried quickly into the cloakroom.

She and the other girls unpacked their treats as Mr. Scott put a couple of kettles on to boil, he and Dwighde harmonizing on a German song, "O Were My Love a Sugar-Bowl", complete with Dwighde tapping on the sugar bowl for a drum.

Pam spread her napkin on her lap and emptied her little wicker basket of its contents, setting the bottle of cordial and the tumbler carefully on the desk. She looked at the other girls' teas; Kelly and Meredith both had lemonade and Angela looked mournfully at her bottle of milk.  "Angela, would you like some of my raspberry cordial?" asked Pam. 

"No thanks, Mother says it's sinful to drink something the color of blood,” said Angela, shrugging. 

"All right," said Pam, pouring herself a glass as Mr. Scott clapped his hands again.

"Let the awards ceremony begin!" he called grandly, "Our first award is the Youngest Student award, and that goes to...Sasha Sloane!"   

As Sasha moved happily to collect her ribbon, Pam had her first sip of raspberry cordial. It was very good; she had never tasted anything like it. She continued to sip and sip as more awards were handed out. It transpired that Mr. Scott had one for every student, a nice idea, Pam thought.

As Mr. Scott passed out such awards as "Best Recitation" and "Nicest Penmanship of the Younger Students" Pam finished her first glass of cordial and poured herself a second.

She was so happy to be at school, sitting with her friends; she felt really lovely, almost as though she were floating a few inches above the bench. Mr. Scott awarded the "Fine Work" award to a boy named Stanley, and Pam laughed out loud. She didn't know why it was so funny, it just was. Could Mr. Scott have given a broader award?

As Angela won the "Most Rule Abiding" award, Pam nibbled on her berry tart. It didn't taste as good as the cordial, so she abandoned it in the basket. Her glass was heavier somehow, and it kept moving as she tried to pour more cordial- or maybe it was her hand that moved, she couldn't tell.

She dribbled a little on her apron as Mr. Scott presented the "Handsomest Boy" award to a bewildered Ryan Wright and Kelly nearly fell off the bench clapping for him. Pam hadn't yet received an award, and wondered if she would.

When Mr. Scott announced the next award as "Prettiest Girl," Pam looked down at her glass, knowing it wouldn't be her. Of course it was Katy Pye who smugly walked up the aisle to collect her ribbon. Pam gave a few perfunctory claps and her face felt heavy, so she rested it on her hand. 

She noticed Jim clapping for Katy and glared, though he didn't see her. She watched his claps and decided they were the right amount for someone who was being polite to someone else whose 'Take Notice' he had been seen scratching off the porch wall earlier in the day.

She took another sip and was contemplating taking off her apron because it was just so hot in the room when Mr. Scott presented the "Stay Away From The Outhouse" award to Kevin Spurgeon MacPherson who blushed rosy red and looked embarrassed. A few of the boys laughed nastily, and Pam felt so sorry for poor Kevin.

"Hooray for Kevin!" she called loudly, startling everyone around her. More and more students took up the cheer, and a slow smile spread over Kevin's face and he raised his arms in victory. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Jim grin at her, and she felt her cheeks get warmer than they already were.

It was very difficult to sit still and not giggle when all she wanted to do was lie on the cool floor and let the world spin around her, but she managed to pay attention when Mr. Scott held up the next ribbon.

"The award for Highest Achievement in the Shortest Amount of Time goes to our most successful student, Miss Pam Shirley!"

Pam gasped and jumped out of her seat. She made her way up the aisle and accepted the ribbon from Mr. Scott. She turned to face her classmates.

"I have so many people to thank for this! Thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Vance for adopting me, and to Mr. Scott for giving me this piece of ribbon, and especially to Katy Pye for daring me to walk on the roof, because it gave me lots of time to study!" she cried happily, and grinning.

Her enthusiasm was catching, for everyone cheered for her as she trotted back up the aisle. She was seized with such warmth and love for everyone there, feeling that they truly did care about her that when she flopped back into her seat, she reached across the aisle and grabbed Jim's hand, squeezing it tightly and smiling at him. No one noticed, and she let go, turning back to Kelly and draining her glass.  

Jim stood up, quite red in the face to accept "Tallest Student," which made Pam snicker quietly. She looked at the ribbon, and saw that something had been blacked out with paint above the 'H.A.I.T.S.A.O.T. Award'. A survey of the room (as best she could do with a head that strangely weighed a ton) showed that hers was the only one like that.

The ribbon slipped off the desk and fluttered to the floor, and she reached down for it. Something threw her off balance, and suddenly she was on the floor, looking up and laughing because really, who would lie on the floor of a classroom? 

There was a commotion, and Dwighde appeared next to her, the leather of his lederhosen creaking as he bent down. "Careful, Pam, I'm here to help you; as Assistant Schoolmaster, it is my responsibility to ensure the safety of other pupils!" he cried, and Pam protested and tried to roll away before Dwighde touched her.

Then Jim was there, moving Dwighde aside. "You're assistant to the schoolmaster, and I'll take care of it, I don’t think she’s feeling well," he said, and Dwighde retreated.

"Dwighde, I need you up here, there are still six ribbons to give out and then the closing ceremony," called Mr. Scott, "Jim, you won an award already, you may help Pam home if she's ill. I don't want vomit all over the classroom."

Jim reached down and heaved her up by the arms. Pam was still laughing, and she reached for the bottle, not even caring if the lovely cordial was in a glass, for being ladylike was not always fun.

"Not a good idea," said Jim quietly, sniffing the bottle as he took it away from her. Kelly looked concerned and began to help pack up Pam's basket.

“Kelly, you stay, you haven’t gotten your award yet. Angela, you can help Jim get Pam home,” said Mr. Scott. Angela nodded and helped gather Pam’s belongings and took her other arm.

"Goodbye, everyone!” called Pam as Jim and Angela helped her down the aisle and out of school. “I’m fine, I don’t need to go home,” she said, her jaw feeling droopy.

“I think you do, you’re acting like you don’t feel well,” said Jim, as though he knew something she didn’t, and Angela just looked concerned. “Shall I run ahead and get Mr. and Mrs. Vance?” she asked anxiously.

”Good idea. Thank you, Angela,” Jim called after her hastily retreating form, headed full tilt for Green Gables.

Angela disappeared from view, and suddenly it was just Jim and Pam, and through the haze in her mind, Pam was very aware of his arm under hers. She stumbled and he held her up. “Why are you doing this?” she asked quietly.

He looked down at the ground. “I’m not quite sure that was raspberry cordial you were drinking, and I didn’t want you to get embarrassed in front of everyone again.”

Pam felt very odd. “Oh,” she said, trying to think of something else to say, and feeling betrayed by her tongue when nothing came out.

They moved along in silence for a few more moments and then before she could stop herself, she found herself asking, “Can I ask you something?”

Jim stopped and looked at her. “Of course,” he said, and she broke contact with his eyes. They were just too…Jim to look at right now.

"Did you ask Mr. Scott to change my award?” she asked quietly, looking back up at him.

Jim flushed. “I didn’t know you saw that,” he said.

"I did, from the cloakroom,” she replied, “What did it say before?”

Jim took a deep breath. “It said ‘Frizziest Hair’ and I didn’t think that was right. You’re so much more than just your hair, and besides, it’s very pretty,” he said, going so red he looked sunburned.

For the second time that day, all Pam could say was “Oh.”

She felt very strange indeed as she took a few steps forward. Jim’s arm was under hers again, and it felt different. How on earth was she supposed to say something? Her enemy had just paid her a very dear compliment, and she was all jumbled inside.

Mercifully, the sounds of a buggy made them both look up and watch as Phyllis and Bob, Angela between them, came riding up behind the sorrel mare. Bob clucked to her and she stopped. All three came down quickly and ran over to Pam and Jim.

“Oh, Pam dear, if you’re all right, do you mind if I get back to school? I don’t want to ruin my perfect attendance record on the last day of school,” said Angela breathlessly, and Pam shook her head.

“Of course,” she said, smiling at Angela, who smiled back and took off for school again.

Phyllis put her arm around Pam as Jim stepped back. “Pam, what is the matter?” she asked gently.

Bob took a sniff of the bottle Jim had wordlessly handed him and laughed a great guffaw. “She’s set herself drunk!” he chortled, and Phyllis looked horrified.

"Drunk? But she’s only had raspberry cordial,” she replied, looking confused.  Bob handed over the bottle, and Phyllis sniffed it as well. “Oh my goodness, Pam! This is my currant wine! I must have told you the wrong spot in the cupboard!” she cried, looking scandalized.

"Phyllis, don’t worry, the worst that will happen is she’ll have a humdinger of a headache tomorrow,” said Bob, still chuckling.

Phyllis shook her head. “When Marjorie Lynde finds out, we’ll never hear the end of it. She’s always been against my currant wine, her people are Temperance folk,” she worried aloud.

“If it makes you feel any better, I think I’m the only one who knows what happened,” said Jim, speaking for the first time, “and I can promise you that I would never spread rumors about your family, Mrs. Vance. Your secret is safe as far as I’m concerned.”

Phyllis looked relieved as Bob lifted Pam into the buggy, settling her into a seat. Her head was beginning to hurt.

“Thank you, Jim,” Phyllis said as Bob helped her into the buggy next to Pam.

“I appreciate it, Master Blythe,” said Bob, winking at Jim as he clucked to the mare.

The buggy moved, and Jim stepped aside. He raised his hand in a wave to Pam, and as she called “Thank you!” the look on his face told her that he knew it was for much more than just helping her home.

Chapter End Notes:
In case anyone's wondering, "O Were My Love a Sugar-Bowl" is apparently a real song. Huh.
Thanks for reading!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans