- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Wow, so glad so many people enjoy this as much as I do. I'm so used to reading/writing depressing stories I just wanted to go for something ensamble fun, with still the workings of Jim/Pam and other ships in there.

So, here is the resolution to Michael's God awful question. I did my best to provide a Jim-like response, since I think there are a lot of things he will just never say, especially in front of Dwight, Kevin, and Michael.

“Would you rather...” Michael began, then snorted, cracking himself up in his own head. “Would you rather sit facing Karen or Pam all day?”

His voice failed him. Words simply would not come out of his mouth. He needed an answer, a safe response, middle ground. This was his game after all. But every response that came to mind he tossed it out, he still had to play by the rules, he suggested them, after all.

He was sure he was only quiet for a second or two, but he felt the weight of over a dozen eyes on him, and time stood still. He put his hands in his pocket, to hide the sweat pouring off of them. He looked the other way from Pam, not wanting to see the expression on her face.

“I already kinda face Karen, Mike.” Jim stated nonchalantly, “But it is kind of hard to see her with Dwight’s giant head in the way.”

Jim let out a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding, and waited for some sign of approval from the circle. Mostly, everyone seemed satisfied that they had avoided an even further awkward moment, and everyone was eager to get past Michael’s turn.

Jim patted himself on the back. He dodged that bullet, for now, and it didn’t seem to meet any protest, or hurt anyone’s feelings, and he had technically managed to follow his own rules.

“You know I meant with the...whatever. You’re no fun.” Michael said waving his arm at him as the smile went away. “Whatever, Angela, your turn.”

Neither Jim, Karen, or Pam heard the next question.

Dwight asked Kevin something about choosing between bears and wolves.

Ryan asked his question to Stanley, who would rather be lost in the jungle than at sea. Michael made an off-the-mark kind of remark about the ghetto that none of them quite understood.

Andy asked Dwight if he would rather time travel or fly. Dwight asked Angela to tell him that he would choose flying. The shunning was still in effect.

The game finally made it’s way fully around the circle to Pam, and she scanned the group hopelessly, but she knew the only person who had not been asked a question.

“Karen!” she said happily, as she searched her mind for a question that had no underlying meaning or awkward consequence.

“Would you rather play ‘Who Would You Do.’ or ‘Desert Island’ next?” She chose safely, with a smile on her face.

“Tough one.” Karen faux grimaced dramatically, as everyone smiled, and Pam was proud of herself.

“Who Would You Do.” Karen stated confidently, and smirked as she looked around the circle. She realized she might be getting more than she bargained for, but she had become increasingly intrigued with this group of people, and had been making a strong effort lately to integrate herself into the branch.

“Okay then, ‘Who Would You Do!’” Pam stated with a smirk on her face.

Immediately, “Ryan!” flew from two opposite sides of the circle. Kelly grabbed the side of Ryan’s face, while Michael smirked.

“And Jan.” Michael added promptly. “But I’m already doing Jan.”

“Bad idea.” Jim said under his breathe, and Pam shook her head in agreement.

They were both aware of what they were stating. Karen didn’t understand this office, and had no idea what she just volunteered for.

“Okay, let me...explain the rules first.” Pam grimaced, “Or, Kevin, you suggested it, so I guess the duties go to you.”

Kevin giggled and stepped forward to explain his favorite game, “Okay, we’ll go around the circle, counter-clockwise this time, and every person has to name one person they would do in the building. I’ll start. Karen.” He laughed and stepped back.

Several people murmured in agreement, and Karen looked directly to the ground.

“She’s taking my place.” Pam joked, for only Jim to hear.

“Jealous?” He laughed, remembering last year.

“Oh, definitely.” Pam added with an eye roll.

“Bob,” Phyllis shyly added, “Of course.”

As the game continued around the circle. Karen was a popular choice, though Pam came in at second. As for the rest of the women (and Michael), Jim and Ryan took the lead for the men.

The game came around to Jim, and he rocked back and forth on the heels of his feet before answering.

Karen was nervous for the threat of awkward silence again, averting her eyes to her shoes, but Pam knew Jim better, and smiled up at him while he pretended to search for his answer.

“Man, I know last year I said Kevin, but after that revealing game of ‘I never’, I think I’m going to have to change my answer to Meredith.”

The circle laughed, and Pam grimaced at the thought.

“That would make it your turn, Pam.” Jim said as he turned towards her, daring her to challenge his response.

“Andy.” Pam shrugged, “Atwhay ancay Iay aysay?”

Andy smiled and took her reply with sincerity, playing a quick riff of air -banjo and winking her way.

Jim turned to Pam and nodded in approval, and respected his competition. Pam smirked and shrugged hers shoulders innocently in response.

Despite the separation, they were able to fall back into this rhythm, constantly surprising each other, and keeping each other on their toes.

The game continued in the same manner around the circle, bringing laughs and the inevitable awkwardness throughout.

After some recollection of names from selective descriptions, they were able to get an answer from Creed. He, as Pam already knew, wanted to face the receptionist, but also had an affection for the ‘foreign-looking girl who talks too much’.

Angela refused to answer. “Promiscuity and lust are not something I engage in casually as a game," and finished by glaring at Karen's cut skirt. Dwight conveniently excused himself to the restroom.

Pam shook her head in disapproval, she was constantly amazed that the entire office wasn’t aware of their relationship.

Ryan answered ‘Kelly’ monotonously, and she loosened the grip on his hand.

The game gradually made it’s way back around the circle to Kevin, and the turn was handed to Karen.

Jim said a silent prayer to himself that in the sixth months he had spent with her, some of his quick wit had rubbed off, and she would be able to humorously dodge every potential personal-revealing question that she was posed.

But then, when it came to doing that, Jim and Pam were experts, and Karen had a lot to learn.

Chapter End Notes:

Okay, hopefully everyone can understand pig-latin writing, that was tough.

Thanks for reading, hope it was enjoyable, and I appreciate rates and reviews!


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans