- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Jim, Pam and a weekend in New York - set in the fluffy future.  Not a spoiler in sight. Will consist of 3 chapters when all is said and done.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Dreams are crazy things and one I had inspired this fic.  Proof that if TPTB are intent on keeping Jim & Pam apart - I'm intent on bringing them together.

Even when I'm seemingly unconscious. ;)

Kisses to those who indulge me on a daily basis.  You know who you are. ;)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

It wasn't supposed to happen this way.   He'd had bigger plans, better plans, something a little more thought out. Although now in hindsight it seemed fitting. 

The first time he'd told her he loved her hadn't really been planned either. 

At least this time he’d been met with better results.

xoxoxo

It's a dreary Friday, the end of a particularly dull week when Jim finds Pam in the kitchen. 

 

"Hey."  He smiles as he grabs his lunch and takes a seat next to her.  "What do you say we get out of here?"

Pam pauses, a spoonful of yogurt halfway to her lips.  "Don't tease me like that."

 

He laughs at the look on her face.  "Unfortunately I don't mean right this second - but how about  this weekend?"

"Considering it's Friday that's pretty short notice."  She contemplates, wondering what exactly he has in mind.  "Where would we go?"

 

Jim shrugs.  "Well I just checked and I've got enough points to spring for a room in the city.  Isn't there that exhibit you want to see?"

 

She blinks back at him.  "You really want to see that?"

"You really want to see it."  Jim counters giving her a shrug.  "Good enough for me."

There's an amazing exhibit at the Guggenheim she has been dying to go to.  She can't believe he even remembers her mentioning it, but then she realizes it's Jim.  Of course he remembers.

 

Still she's a bit skeptical.  "Are you sure?   Jim.  You'll probably be really bored." 

 

He thinks she's insane.  As if that's even remotely possible.  Bored is the last thing he ever could be when she is anywhere near him. 

"So?  I'll bring a book."

 

"Isn't there something else you'd like to do instead?"

 

Jim is constantly amazed that she just doesn't seem to get it.  "Why is this so hard for you to understand?  I'd like to spend the weekend with you in New York.  If we can do that and you get to see something you've been dying to see that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned."

 

"You're right.  I'm sorry."  She says softly, hanging her head.

The fact that she feels the need to apologize irks him even more.  "There's nothing to be sorry for.  Just say, 'Yes Jim.  That's a great idea.'"

"Yes Jim."  Pam's eyes sparkle as she reaches out and takes his hand in hers.  "That's a great idea."

 

xoxoxo

"So what's this?"  Jim asks as he stands beside her, staring intently at the painting before them.  "It looks like a bunch of little dots."

 

"It is a bunch of little dots.”  She elbows him in the ribs gently.  “The style is neo-impressionism."

 

Jim squints as he takes a step closer to the canvas.  "This had to take a long time to paint."

"Some works took almost two years."  Pam replies, her face lighting up.  "Seurat thought that painting this way was similar to the way composers write music."

"Fascinating."  Jim turns to face her, grinning madly.

 

"You're not even looking at it anymore."  Pam scolds.

 

"I know.  I meant you."  He smiles down at her, releasing her hand and curling an arm around her waist.  He leans close to whisper in her ear.  "I love it when you talk art.  It's incredibly sexy."

 

She blushes as she buries her face in his shoulder.  "You think that's sexy - wait till I tell you about Cubism."

He steps back, seemingly horrified.  "Pam.  We're in public.  Control yourself please."

"This was really great."  She smiles and grabs the lapels of his jacket, pulling him back to her.   "Thank you for bringing me here."

 

"You're welcome."  He replies as he brushes his lips across hers.   "Hungry yet?"

She crinkles her nose at him.  "Kinda starving, actually."

"What'll it be?"  He asks as he takes her hand again.  They make their way back to the entrance of the museum.

Pam shakes her head.  "I don't care.  It's your turn to choose."   

He squints against the bright sunlight as they step out onto the sidewalk.  "We're close to the park.  We could get some sandwiches or something…?"

So perfect, she thinks as she smiles and nods.  "Sounds great."

xoxoxo

 

After lunch they find a shady spot under a tree.  Jim rests his back against it, Pam takes his discarded jacket and fashions a pillow in his lap, stretching out beside him.  His fingers comb through her curls, over and over, making her sleepy.  

"I think I could live here."  She says with a sigh. 

"In the park?"

"Yeah."  She laughs.  "Except there's that pesky problem of the weather."

 

"And the squirrels."  Jim comments as he spies one trying to steal the remnants of their lunch.

 

Pam nods.  "You're right - they are pretty territorial."

 

"So.  A two-bedroom perhaps?"

"I don't know.  I kind of like those brownstones…"

 

"Question.  Did we just win the lottery?"

"No, Dwight.  Not yet."  Pam rolls her eyes.  "But maybe someday we will."

 

Jim laughs.  "Then a brownstone it is.  With a studio so you can paint."

 

Her heart skips a beat.   "And a game room so you can stay busy while I do."

"And a bowling alley in the basement."

 

Pam giggles and shifts to turn over on her stomach.  "Oh yeah.  The neighbors would love that."

 

Jim gives her a look.  "What neighbors?  We've just won the lottery.  We'll buy the buildings next door too."

She rests her chin in her hand as she smiles up at him.  "You're a genius Jim Halpert - you know that?"

 

"I'm well aware."   He replies, looking smug.

 

"And so modest too."

He searches her face and doesn't give himself time to think before he hears himself say, "I have another question for you."

 

"Shoot."  She tilts her head and looks at him thoughtfully.

 

"Marry me."

 

She blinks at him in surprise.  She can't tell if he's serious or not.   She sucks in a breath before she replies.   "That's not really a question."

His eyes are steady on hers as he swallows and speaks in a whisper.  "OK.  Then let me try that again.  Will you marry me?"

 

"Really?"

"Yeah."  He nods. 

 

"Why?"

He looks at her as if to say "Are you really asking me that?"   "Because.  My mother always said that I should marry someone who thinks I'm a genius."

Her eyes and her voice beg him to be serious.  "Jim."

"Pam…c'mon."  He runs a hand across her cheek, his thumb brushing over her bottom lip.  "Why not?"

 

It's that simple, because for the life of her she can't think of a single reason why she shouldn't.   He loves her completely and she knows it.  Not to mention that the feeling is entirely mutual.   She knows now there's no one in the world who makes her feel the way he does.  

 

"You're right."  She sits up and covers his hand with her own.  "Why not?"

His face breaks out in a spectacular grin.  "Is that a yes?" 

 

"Yeah."  She nods as she leans towards him and presses her mouth to his.  "That's a yes."

Chapter End Notes:

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans