- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Last chapter! Not much angst here, just happy Jim and Pam interaction (and boy, have I missed that)

Something wasn't quite registering for Pam as her eyes darted between Jim and the box that was now sitting on his old desk. "What are you doing?" she thought out loud.

Jim knitted his brows. "What does it look like I'm doing?" he said in a light sarcastic tone as he took the blue frame with a picture of him and his brother out of the box and propped it up on the old desk.

Pam walked to the desk to stand next to Jim. "But...I mean...why?"

Jim continued to unload his box, "Believe it or not, facing Dwight head on for eight hours a day is not as great as it sounds." He looked over at Pam and smirked. "Plus the receptionist here is pretty cute and this gives me a better view."

Pam felt herself blush, but tried to ignore it. "What happened with Wallace?"

Jim put down the desk lamp in his hand and turned to Pam. "I told him I appreciated the opportunity but I couldn't accept the position."

Pam stared at him, dumbfounded.

"Actually, he told me they gave the position to someone from the Albany branch. But if he had offered me the position, that's what I would have said."

Pam chuckled, and Jim followed suit. Pam glanced at the empty desk between them and the kitchen. "And Karen?"

Jim let out a sigh, "Yeah, um, she got a job at a bank in Manhattan. And we talked on Friday for what I'm reasonably sure was the last time."

Pam felt a pang of guilt in her chest. "Sorry," she said quietly.

Jim shrugged. "Not your fault."

Pam gave Jim her best "are you sure about that?" look, and Jim smiled.

"Okay, maybe it was a tiny bit your fault, but only because you sped up the inevitable. Karen and I were never...I don't know if I ever really acted like myself around her." He laughed softly, "I somehow doubt she would have kept me around long if I had."

Pam smiled, and she started to feel as light as she did on beach day. Karen never knew the real Jim, but Pam did. She knew him, and that was why he was coming back to her.

Jim took a step closer and started talking in a low voice. "I've missed you." Pam couldn't help but gulp a little. He shook his head in slight disbelief, "I'm missed you so much it ridiculous." He glanced down to his old desk, "But I don't want things to go back to what they were before I transferred."

"I don't either," Pam said quietly. I can't go back, she thought. She often reflected on how she was before Jim left, how meek and in denial she was and how she was so ready to give up happiness for the familiarity and security of Roy, she hardly could believe that was really her anymore.

"I still . . . want more." Pam detected a little nervousness in his voice for the first time tonight. "I mean, not right now, but eventually." He cracked a smile, "and when I say ‘eventually', I'm hoping sooner rather than later."

Pam couldn't resist the urge to tease. "You mean, like in an hour."

He pondered her comment. "Maybe not that ‘sooner,' unless that's what you want."

Pam laughed, "Let's at least leave the office before we decide when ‘sooner' is."

"Good call." He turned back to the box and took his files out to put them in the old desk. "There," he exclaimed as he closed the drawer.

Pam nodded to the desk. "So how do you feel after your big move?"

"Good." He looked at Pam and smiled, "Great, actually."

Pam stepped forward, wrapped her arms around Jim's middle, and rested her cheek on his chest. "That's good."

Jim returned the hug, and they stood like that for several seconds. Pam closed her eyes and the only sound she could hear was Jim as he breathed in and out.

"So, um, do you what the other problem with Karen was?"

Pam felt her lips curl a little and lifted her head, keeping her arms around Jim. "What?"

"She was a really bad prank partner." Jim scoffed, "I mean, did you hear her when I was trying to convince Dwight I was a vampire?"

She may have been entrenched with Roy at the time, but Pam could remember Karen's somewhat wooden performance that day. She smirked "Well, I wasn't going to say anything..."

Jim shook his head, "Man, just sub-par, you know?" He let go of Pam and started digging around the bottom of the box on his desk. He placed a cardboard box that looked like it held some sort of computer program disc inside on his desk. "How much Spanish do you think you can learn in the next 12 hours?"

Pam's eyes widened when she read the title on the box, Easy Español. She remembered Michael buying it when he was trying to hit on the FedEx delivery woman, who turned out to be Brazilian.

"It was in the supply closet," Jim said, answering Pam's unasked question. He dropped a thick manual on the desk, "Along with this."

Pam looked to see it was a Spanish version of the Dunder-Mifflin employee handbook. "Are we convincing Dwight he's been transported to Mexico?"

Jim pointed to Pam, "This is why you're the superior prank partner." He grabbed the manual and a pile of paper out of his box and sat in Dwight's chair. Pam giggled and all-but-skipped over to help Jim replace all of Dwight's files with random papers written in Spanish. Jim then turned on Dwight's computer.

"I'm going to change Dwight's username to "SenorDwightSchrute," Jim said to Pam over his shoulder.

"Nice," she said, watching Jim log in to Dwight computer. "Wait, you know his password?"

"QueenNoelle15, he changes the number once it a while, but it's been QueenNoelle-something since the beginning of last year."

"Huh." Pam remembered Angela's middle name was Noelle. "That's weird."

Jim waited a few seconds before answering. "Not that weird."

Pam's jaw dropped. "You know?"

Jim swiveled around to face her. "Know what?" He then lifted his eyebrow and pursed his lips to do his Angela impression.

"Oh my God!" Pam laughed.

Jim turned off Dwight's computer. "Okay, that's done, let's get out of here." Jim tucked the box under his arm and Pam grabbed Easy Español and followed him out of the office, giggling as they walked to the elevator.

 

* * * * *

On the elevator, they exchanged their stories on when each of them found out about Dwight and Angela. Pam nearly screamed when Jim told her he caught them making out on Angela's desk, and they laughed as they made their way through the lobby and out the doors of the building.

The air was crisp, and the sky was still light blue and orange over the western horizon. They walked slowly and went over the details of how they were going to prank Dwight in the morning. As they walked and talked, Pam halfway-on-purpose let her free hand bump into Jim's, and after the fourth "accidental" bump, Jim took her hand. The warmth of Jim's hand traveled up her arm, and for the first time in a very long time Pam truly felt everything was going to be okay.



NobleLandMermaid is the author of 22 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 17 members. Members who liked Every New Beginning also liked 2923 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans